What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1982: KB Cup Qtr Final Combined-Brisbane vs Parramatta

Suitman

Post Whore
KB.Cup.Qtr.Final.Combined-Brisbane vs Parramatta.
Date: Wednesday, July 21st, 1982
Referees: Barry Gomersall
Venue: Lang Park (Brisbane)

Blue Bags.

Thanks for posting this.
I finally got around to watching it this afternoon.
Parra/(Jack Gibson) were so innovative. They didn't give a shit whether they gave the ball away on the first tackle from a penalty. Cronin's cross field kicks for example.
They had moves from every set penalty restart.
Steve Ella was a gem. My god, he is just as lightning quick as I remember.
The rest of the backline. FMD!! Same!
It's all what I remembered but as the years fade, so does the memory of how great this team was.
Greatest club backline ever. Only the latter Raiders came close I reckon.

Again, thank you.

84 Baby

Referee
Four eight one double one double one

Bandwagon

Staff member
Good stuff.

Watching that just makes we wonder how much removing the contested scrum had to do with the evolution of safety first footy and valuing possession / completion rates above playing a bit of footy.

Dropping the ball isn't such a bad thing when your pack's a decent chance of regaining possession through winning the scrum against the feed, or drawing a penalty through pressure on the opposition pack.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Has definitely contributed to what we have now.

The monotony of the complete, kick, tackle, receive, complete, kick..etc has taken away some of the exitement and unpredicability of the game.

But scrums were ugly and difficult to referee fairly. Not sure if there is alternative to scrums that makes it a fair contest for possession?

@T-Boon probably has some ideas.

strider

Post Whore
I still remember the first time i watched one of those really old games a few years ago, eels vs someone ... the first scrum was around our quarter line (the good old 22m line), Sterlo feeds, we lose it ... i genuinely freaked a little cos we lost the scrum when our feed, commentators gave no shits - i then went oh yeah, that was normal

T-Boon

Coach
Has definitely contributed to what we have now.

The monotony of the complete, kick, tackle, receive, complete, kick..etc has taken away some of the exitement and unpredicability of the game.

But scrums were ugly and difficult to referee fairly. Not sure if there is alternative to scrums that makes it a fair contest for possession?

@T-Boon probably has some ideas.

Thanks Gary,
I think that is the game I watched on youtube about a week ago and what struck me was that the scrums were a total lottery. In fact I think in that game the scrum was won against the feed (or equivalent penalty awarded) more often than not. That and the neutral zone are the big differences in the game that makes it boring game play now.

One thing I love about the old games that I think is gone is all the short passing to someone in support running off the ball carriers hip or whatever. They were always looking to promote the ball rather than get tackled.

I would almost like to see us go back to that leathery ball they use to play with.

84 Baby

Referee
Thanks Gary,
I think that is the game I watched on youtube about a week ago and what struck me was that the scrums were a total lottery. In fact I think in that game the scrum was won against the feed (or equivalent penalty awarded) more often than not. That and the neutral zone are the big differences in the game that makes it boring game play now.

One thing I love about the old games that I think is gone is all the short passing to someone in support running off the ball carriers hip or whatever. They were always looking to promote the ball rather than get tackled.

I would almost like to see us go back to that leathery ball they use to play with.
I see what you are saying. They should run a lotto to decide scrum wins

Eelogical

Referee
Blue Bags.

Thanks for posting this.
I finally got around to watching it this afternoon.
Parra/(Jack Gibson) were so innovative. They didn't give a shit whether they gave the ball away on the first tackle from a penalty. Cronin's cross field kicks for example.
They had moves from every set penalty restart.
Steve Ella was a gem. My god, he is just as lightning quick as I remember.
The rest of the backline. FMD!! Same!
It's all what I remembered but as the years fade, so does the memory of how great this team was.
Greatest club backline ever. Only the latter Raiders came close I reckon.

Again, thank you.
I thought the same. The teams didn't seem to worry too much about making a mistake, where these days it's a sin. Lot more passing back then, too. This 85 game came up in my youtube feed after watching the KB cup game. The backline destroyed Wests. Plenty of mistakes but excellent attack as well.

T-Boon

Coach
Almost every tap restart after a penalty was a new set move of some sort. Why is that a thing of the past? How good would it be if that came back now.

T-Boon

Coach
The format of the KB Cup was ahead of its time. Shame the talent has been spread so thin that you could never re-create it.

This is a solid argument for brining in soccer like divisions and relegation/promotion. It is why I hate reserve grade which results in the 16 NRL clubs pocketing all of the talent.