What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1982: KB Cup Qtr Final Combined-Brisbane vs Parramatta

T-Boon

Coach
In an era of semi-professionalism he could rely on his inherent athletic stengths. No chance for anyone to do that now.

Yep. The problem with professionalism is the increase in training time through the week, which I keep hearing they spend 80% of practicing their defense.

There should be a rule that they cant train until after 5pm.

Eelogical

Referee
Yep. The problem with professionalism is the increase in training time through the week, which I keep hearing they spend 80% of practicing their defense.

There should be a rule that they cant train until after 5pm.
Maybe they should all get off jobkeeper and get help from jobfinder.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I'm watching it now.
Wow, that 1st 7 minutes! What great RL. Both teams throwing the ball around.
Grothe, Kenny, Liddiard, Ella, Price, Cronin, Sterling!
What a team.

I agree with your summation btw. Most players tackled lower. It's how we were taught in those days. "They can't run without legs" was the saying drilled into us, even as juniors.

On another note, Eric Grothe was famous for his chase defence and cover defending, yet, his front on defence in short spaces was brutal at times. YThere's an example of that in the 1st 7 mins of this game, when he throws a player over the sideline.
I'll never forget when he dislocated Ross Conlin's hip in a semi final vs the Bulldogs at the SCG by a front on tackle and then rolling him over. Grothe was a freak.

I have forever regretted the day the Craig Bellamy became a coach and began to exploit the rules. The game hasn't been the same since.
It is robotic now.
Play-the-ball speed became a focus long before Bellamy though. I remember an interview with Craig Weston in the mid-90s where he said he had the slowest play-the-ball at the Roosters because it had never been a focus before he went there. The natural result of a focus on ruck speed is trying to slow it down in defence.

Suitman

Post Whore
Play-the-ball speed became a focus long before Bellamy though. I remember an interview with Craig Weston in the mid-90s where he said he had the slowest play-the-ball at the Roosters because it had never been a focus before he went there. The natural result of a focus on ruck speed is trying to slow it down in defence.

I never mentioned play the ball speed.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I never mentioned play the ball speed.
No you mentioned the wrestle, and the reason for that is because of the attacking focus on the speed of the play-the-ball.

If coaches would focus on developing skill instead of just quick play-the-balls there would be no need for wrestling.

Suitman

Post Whore
No you mentioned the wrestle, and the reason for that is because of the attacking focus on the speed of the play-the-ball.

If coaches would focus on developing skill instead of just quick play-the-balls there would be no need for wrestling.

I never mentioned the wrestle.

Last edited: