What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1995 expansion... now!

Which 4 Areas of growth should NRL expand to

• Auckland (Pacifika team)

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • New Zealand (Wellington)

Votes: 8 30.8%
  • New Zealand (South Island)

Votes: 12 46.2%
  • Morton bay (Dophins)

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Sunshine Coast

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Cairns

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brisbane West (ipswich)

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Brisbane (Suncorp rival)

Votes: 15 57.7%
  • Perth

Votes: 22 84.6%
  • Adelaide

Votes: 13 50.0%
  • Central Coast

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Melbourne (rival)

• Darwin

• Central Queenland

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • New South Wales Country

• Papua New Guinea

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Fiji

• Hobart

• Sydney no.9 (e.g norths or newtown)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MugaB

Coach
The same amount of time passed between 1983 & 2004 that's passed between 1999 (Bears last NRL season) and now.. and the desire to bring back the Bears seems bigger than the Jets after the same absence - or less dimished, to put it another way.

They're both foundation clubs, and Newtown has had marginally more success on-field than Norths over the years (3 premierships instead of 2.. and some Grand Final losing appearances).. but the branding (distinctive red & black colours, the Bear logo), and the fact that - at least for a juniors/lower grade pathway - they represent a region of Sydney that's has no direct representation in the NRL probably counts there.
Oh i see, yeah well its more significant when you grow up in an area in sydney, where there was a team and now its absent, especially when there 8.5 teams there but none near you, atleast newtown is somewhat South Sydney, Canterbury, and Wests to some degree, closests club to the northern suburbs is manly which is more like saying, since souths don't exist= follow easts.
I think having norths as the roosters feeder club has been great for both parties, but if the rooster dont embrace more of the northern suburbs or north shore at the very least, they should stop pretending to be SYDNEY, and go back to being Easts

flippikat

Bench
Oh i see, yeah well its more significant when you grow up in an area in sydney, where there was a team and now its absent, especially when there 8.5 teams there but none near you, atleast newtown is somewhat South Sydney, Canterbury, and Wests to some degree, closests club to the northern suburbs is manly which is more like saying, since souths don't exist= follow easts.
I think having norths as the roosters feeder club has been great for both parties, but if the rooster dont embrace more of the northern suburbs or north shore at the very least, they should stop pretending to be SYDNEY, and go back to being Easts

Exactly. I mean, didn't the lower leagues (especially junior league) district of Newtown get re-allocated to other top-flight clubs after 1983? By that logic, the same re-allocation of Norths territory *should* have happened after the collapse of the Northern Eagles - and no, I'm not necessarily saying "it should have been handed to the Sea-Eagles".

MugaB

Coach
Exactly. I mean, didn't the lower leagues (especially junior league) district of Newtown get re-allocated to other top-flight clubs after 1983? By that logic, the same re-allocation of Norths territory *should* have happened after the collapse of the Northern Eagles - and no, I'm not necessarily saying "it should have been handed to the Sea-Eagles".
Well since balmain and manly are the closest area maybe they should have

duh? Tell me where I can see the perth reds play every week and I’m there.
Whenever I suggest a Perth team enter the NSW Cup or QLD Cup you say "too expensive".

It would cost far more to run an NRL club, would it not?

If a Perth NRL team needs $20 million to $30 million a year, and a Perth NSW Cup team costs less than $5 million, then why not bring back the Reds in the NSW Cup?

It would give local RL players a lifeline to the NRL and fringe players from the east coast that are unsigned with an NRL club a chance to relocate to Perth and prove their worth.

Perth Red

Post Whore
lol you dont understand the concept of revenue v expenditure? There is no revenue in the NSW cup.

Reality is if you've got talent you are going to sign from SG ball Pirates to a NSW cup team with a direct path to an NRL club, not play for a Perth NSW cup team in the hope someone might spot you. We already have around 20 SG Pirates graduates playing NSW and Qlnd cup, the expense of a NSW cup team to the NRLWA is not worth it.

lol you dont understand the concept of revenue v expenditure? There is no revenue in the NSW cup.

Reality is if you've got talent you are going to sign from SG ball Pirates to a NSW cup team with a direct path to an NRL club, not play for a Perth NSW cup team in the hope someone might spot you. We already have around 20 SG Pirates graduates playing NSW and Qlnd cup, the expense of a NSW cup team to the NRLWA is not worth it.
Pro sports clubs rarely make money for their owners. People buy them out of pride and love for the game. An NRL team would probably lose a tonne more money than an NSW Cup team, especially one based in Perth.

You're always on here whinging about how much money the Sydney NRL clubs lose. They can afford it because they have Leagues Clubs to offset their losses. Perth won't have a Leagues Club as pokies are illegal in WA.

If the WARL are not in a position to run a NSW Cup team then there's no way the ARLC will grant them an NRL licence.

Last edited:
There no such thing as the WARL, sigh.
Yes there is, they just changed their name to NRLWA to appeal to people who've never watched RL.

It hasn't achieved that objective though, has it?

There were more people playing the game in Perth when it was the WARL.

Calling it NRLWA is as dumb as referring to the sport of RL as NRL.

You once referred to the Perth Origin game as "NRL", FFS.

greenBV4

Bench
Yes there is, they just changed their name to NRLWA to appeal to people who've never watched RL.

It hasn't achieved that objective though, has it?

There were more people playing the game in Perth when it was the WARL.

Calling it NRLWA is as dumb as referring to the sport of RL as NRL.

You once referred to the Perth Origin game as "NRL", FFS.
Its NRLWA now as it is directly owned ran and funded by the NRL

The names and operation of every state board was centralised as part of the previous major rebranding

Saying the "WARL" needs the funds to run a NSWCup side is the same as saying the NRL needs to fund it

Its NRLWA now as it is directly owned ran and funded by the NRL

The names and operation of every state board was centralised as part of the previous major rebranding

Saying the "WARL" needs the funds to run a NSWCup side is the same as saying the NRL needs to fund it
It's an oxymoron to call it NRLWA as the first three letters refer to a rugby league competition that the last 2 letters are excluded from. It will just lead to people referring to the sport of rugby league as NRL. We already have a generation that doesn't know the difference between "your" and "you're" or "its" and "it's" or "there", "their" and "they're". The last thing we need is people who don't know the difference between the sport of rugby league and a rugby league competition.

greenBV4

Bench
It's an oxymoron to call it NRLWA as the first three letters refer to a rugby league competition that the last 2 letters are excluded from. It will just lead to people referring to the sport of rugby league as NRL. We already have a generation that doesn't know the difference between "your" and "you're" or "its" and "it's" or "there", "their" and "they're". The last thing we need is people who don't know the difference between the sport of rugby league and a rugby league competition.
I dont disagree with you but it is what it is

Perth Red

Post Whore
You really need to stop commentating on things you know nothing about donkey! It had nothing to do with appealing to anyone, in fact pssed off a lot of people in WA. It was all about control.
The WARL was an independent organisation with its own board and employing its own staff. The arlc wanted to take ownership of all the affiliated states and threatened the WARL that it would remove funding and recognition if it did not hand the organisation over to their ownership (interestingly at the same time the WARL was threatening to put the Pirates in the SL out of frustration at stalling of expansion). The WARL board found it untenable that the nrl changed it so the ceo and gm did not report directly to the WARL board bit instead to the nrl.
The WARL as an independent organisation ceased to exist and the arlc set up the NRLWA as a consolidated company owned by the nrl. Do you even follow rugby league?

https://thewest.com.au/sport/rugby-league/leagues-mass-walkout-ng-ya-362343

You really need to stop commentating on things you know nothing about donkey! It had nothing to do with appealing to anyone, in fact pssed off a lot of people in WA. It was all about control.
The WARL was an independent organisation with its own board and employing its own staff. The arlc wanted to take ownership of all the affiliated states and threatened the WARL that it would remove funding and recognition if it did not hand the organisation over to their ownership (interestingly at the same time the WARL was threatening to put the Pirates in the SL out of frustration at stalling of expansion). The WARL board found it untenable that the nrl changed it so the ceo and gm did not report directly to the WARL board bit instead to the nrl.
The WARL as an independent organisation ceased to exist and the arlc set up the NRLWA as a consolidated company owned by the nrl. Do you even follow rugby league?

https://thewest.com.au/sport/rugby-league/leagues-mass-walkout-ng-ya-362343
I am well aware of the ARLC buying into the affiliate states, so spare me your condescending history lesson.

Are you really naive enough to think the NRL changed the name to NRLWA for anything other than marketing purposes?

They could have kept the name WARL and run it at the same time. They made the change after AwFuL rebranded their state bodies as AFL QLD, AFL NSW for marketing purposes. The ARLC followed suit, like it often does, because they saw Queenslanders and New South Welshmen talking about "AFL" instead of Australian rules football.

As an added bonus, the NRL probably saw it as an opportunity to differentiate our game from RU in states that have difficulty telling the two games apart.

The WARL obviously didn't like it, but the ARLC wasn't trying to win them over. It was all about appealing to the non-RL public in a state that couldn't care less about the game.

Perth Red

Post Whore
And?
The fact remains that the warl as an independent state owned RL organisation no longer exists, and has t for 7 years, and the NRLWA was a new entity with a new ownership.

greenBV4

Bench
youve gone off on a tangent from your on post here GROTD, the whole WARL/NRLWA discussion started when you insinuated that if they can't fund NSWCup side they don't deserve a NRL side

If the WARL are not in a position to run a NSW Cup team then there's no way the ARLC will grant them an NRL licence.

NRL WA is an extension of the NRL, they are not financially independent - so te only way they could be in a position to run a NSW cup side would be if the NRL allocated enough funds, which they don't to any of the affiliated states

greenBV4

Bench
The ARLC mustn't see much value in WA.
Catch 22
they will never see any value/improvement from the affiliate states without increasing funding in the grassroots from the scraps they barely receive now

Wouldn't surprise me if the AFL put more money into a tiny market like the NT or TAS than the NRL does into Vic, WA and SA combined - and we are all surprised that the AFL keeps growing, while we are always stuck on the defensive....

Catch 22
they will never see any value/improvement from the affiliate states without increasing funding in the grassroots from the scraps they barely receive now

Wouldn't surprise me if the AFL put more money into a tiny market like the NT or TAS than the NRL does into Vic, WA and SA combined - and we are all surprised that the AFL keeps growing, while we are always stuck on the defensive....
WA is one place the game could see some growth, say another 5,000 or 10,000 players within 20 years if managed properly.

But who misses out so Perth can have a few more pots of gold thrown its way?

It's hard to justify wasting money on Perth while bush footy is running on an oily rag.