What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st or 16th Premiership

Drew-Sta said:
Most people mistakenly believe 'Merger' is the destruction of two to form one. Incorrect. Merger is a business term used to identify when two entities join together in an effort to survive and expand. A merger is the continuation of both businesses, only now they have the resources of two organisations instead of one. An excellent example is Coles Myer Pty Ltd. Coles and Myer were separate entities, and simply joined to create one super company. Both retained their history and traditions, so why shouldn't we?

But Drew we didn't merge.

We formed a Joint Venture. Which entails the creation of a new club.

St George and Illawarra still exist seperate to that. So in the business terms you use two did not become one and continue on.

Better to have just taken them over in the first place, or not go down this path at all.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
wolverine said:
1st premiership they are a new entity as St.George Illawarra

Moron.

Main Entry: Merger
Function: noun
Etymology: merge + -er (as in waiver)
1 law : the absorption of an estate, a contract, or an interest in another, of a minor offense in a greater, or of an obligation into a judgment
2 a : the act or process of merging b : absorption by a corporation of one or more others; also : any of various methods of combining two or more organizations (as business concerns)

pixt.gif

Don't hurt yourself trying to understand that.

Tool.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Daithi

What is a Joint Venture?

Definition: A joint venture is a partnership or cooperative agreement for a specific purpose.

http://retailindustry.about.com/library/terms/j/bld_jntventure.htm

Provided both the St George Rugby League Football Club and the Steelers Rugby League Football Club are working in partnership, both entities still exist, and are simply joining the efforts of their organisations. Henceforth, both still have their history and tradition, etc etc etc...

Regardless of a Joint Venture or Merger, we're still an entity. Joint Venture means both are trading under one name as two entities, a merger is both organisations have joined together.

Either or, we still exist, as does our history.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
JV or merger... its much of a muchness.

Next premierships will be number 16.

lol. We have to win it first.

Drew-Sta said:
Daithi

http://retailindustry.about.com/library/terms/j/bld_jntventure.htm

Provided both the St George Rugby League Football Club and the Steelers Rugby League Football Club are working in partnership, both entities still exist, and are simply joining the efforts of their organisations. Henceforth, both still have their history and tradition, etc etc etc...

Regardless of a Joint Venture or Merger, we're still an entity. Joint Venture means both are trading under one name as two entities, a merger is both organisations have joined together.

Either or, we still exist, as does our history.

Sure offcourse if you want to look at it that way, which I believe is the same thing Willow was talking about when he spoke of the "intellectual, emotional and historical ownership of club entity"

But in the business terms you employed, we didn't merge and a new football club was formed, supported by the other two.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Technically no. A new brand was created by two existing football clubs. DRLFC and the Steelers equivalent simply joined teams; hence 'Joint-Venture'.

It's a 'two supporting one' rather than 'two becoming one' situation.

There is no 'St George Illawarra Dragons Rugby League Club' so therefore, how could a new club have been made?

Red Bear

Referee
IMO the first premiership cos i generally regard the steelers as different to this club, so why shouldnt the Dragons be a different club as well.
However i have no real issues with it being notched down as number 16if it comes to that.

bender

Juniors
Willow said:
As I said, threads like like this invite ill-informed opinion from trolls and fringe dwellers.

I thank the supporters from other clubs for telling other supporters how to think about their club's history.

El, going by your reply, I doubt very much if you even read my last post.

If St George Illawarra call their next premiership (lol at the thought that they think they might be in the running this year) be called anything but their 16th premiership, it will be a disgrace and an embarassment to the history of rugby league. The whole premise of merging two clubs is to keep the history of both teams going. So, for wests Tigers, yes they should count premierships before hand. The success of joint ventures is one of the most important issues in the game (Sydney really does need a couple more in the longer term) and they should be done to try to appease both supporters as well as to respect the traditions of both sides. It shouldnt be thought of as a new venture, it should be a natural progression and growth of both teams. I cant believe that any St George or Illawarra supporter would want anything but to consider their club to have evolved and to be honest i cant think of one reason why the NRL would be silly enough to want to try to force such a record on St George Illawarra.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Southernsaint said:
Meh, who cares what "outsiders" think??

we will do what we want.
Right on Bro.:cool:

Bender, your post is full of contradictions.
Haven't you got an old thread somewhere that needs bumping up?

greenos

Juniors
Southernsaint said:
Who are ya??

I'm just saying, sure it's nice to do that but it just screws up the record books. If the NRL did do that and added it on to St George's total then what does it mean for the Tigers. Do you add em up? I acknowledge that St George are one of the greatest team of the past century. But it does not make sense to add em up.

greenos

Juniors
Willow said:
A quick lesson for you greenos... read the thread.

A quick lesson for you Willow. You St George Illawarra fans can think you have won 15 premierships. At least it makes you sleep at night.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
greenos said:
it just screws up the record books.
:lol:
Another beancounter...
Let me guess, you often say,
"You can't do that!"
Followed by,
"eeek!"

greenos said:
A quick lesson for you Willow. You St George Illawarra fans can think you have won 15 premierships. At least it makes you sleep at night.
Now now... no need for that. There's already too many sanctimonious gits in the world.

Look, we don't think we have won 15 premierships, we know we have won 15 premierships....
Hope that helps.

But if you stiil don't get the gist.... its how Saints supporters feel that counts the most.