What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st Test: Australia v Pakistan at Brisbane on Dec 15-19, 2016

Hutty1986

Immortal
Pigeon's action was probably a lot easier on the body as well I guess. And I think people sometimes forget how serious that Dizzy-Waugh collision was, it nearly killed Steve

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Fast bowling is f**king hard work and its not made easier by the pitches cricket australia has been dishing up.

That said i bet starc and haze are looking forward to having a bowl on some of those indian pitches ive seen dished up for england. They will be lucky to be alive nevermind not injured after we concede 1000 runs an innings

Barkley

Bench
Hindsight might be confusing people a bit though, Lillee had significant issues, missed about 2 seasons from memory, Thommo missed a lot of cricket, as did Gillespie, Fleming, McDermott, and Bruce Reid career was completely wrecked (internationally much the same - Waqar and Imran missed a lot, in NZ Bond, Brendon Bracewell and others) - same the world over, fast bowling is diabolical on the body, the likes of McGrath, Hadlee and others that managed to play through injuries and were fortunate to avoid the sort of very serious things the likes of Lillee, Reid, Bond, etc faced - were I guess a combination of very professional and very lucky?

You may well be right JJ....if that is the case, we have all of these "experts" and science at our fingertips and we are no better off.

Granted our bowlers (and yours) are fitter and stronger but they spending less time in the middle, if not by injury than by being rested.

JJ

Immortal
You may well be right JJ....if that is the case, we have all of these "experts" and science at our fingertips and we are no better off.

Granted our bowlers (and yours) are fitter and stronger but they spending less time in the middle, if not by injury than by being rested.

Yep, I don't think there's any obvious evidence that anythings any better - I imagine that because of the general increase in fitness and strength they're likely bowling at maximum effort for longer spells - Peter Siddle excluded of course, as after his first spell he slips into Nathan Astle mode

Also I suspect the increase in short forms means more short spells with even greater exertion