What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st Test: Australia v Pakistan @ Optus Stadium Perth, Dec 14-18 2023

Fangs

Coach
31.59 is a poor average for overseas and for mine is what holds him back from being an all-time Test great.

The great ones delivered home & abroad.

In England he averaged 26 & India he averaged 21.

You can't be called an all-time great when you played 4 ashes series in England and 3 tours to India and come back with those figures and never scored a test 100.

Glenn Maxwell even managed a Test 100 in India.

The Bangladesh tour of 2017 where he scored 2 x Test 100s was the only time he scored a Test 100 on the road since 2014.

Basically should have had his passport revoked for overseas Tests after the 2019 Ashes series.

Its the 100 tests that gets him put in the discussion, not necessarily the numbers. Only 15 players have done it:

Ricky Ponting - 168
Steve Waugh - 168
Allan Border - 156
Shane Warne - 145
Mark Waugh - 128
Glenn McGrath - 124
Nathan Lyon - 123
Ian Healy - 119
Michael Clarke - 115
David Warner - 110
David Boon - 107
Justin Langer - 105
Mark Taylor - 104
Matthew Hayden - 103
Steve Smith - 103

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Davey was literally a liability outside Australia.

Haydos was a flat track dead rubber 2nd innings 400 runs ahead hero.

I'd have the Elite Whiny Mentalcase Midget over both of them.

King-Gutho94

Coach
I suppose Hayden's 2001 series in India where he scored a billion runs where everyone else around him failed and we lost the unloseable test in Kolkata and then the series.

Probably nudges him out ahead of Warner just.

If you were comparing both - Hayden had more signature innings overseas which counts in his favour.

bazza

Immortal
I suppose Hayden's 2001 series in India where he scored a billion runs where everyone else around him failed and we lost the unloseable test in Kolkata and then the series.

If you were comparing both - Hayden had more signature innings overseas which counts in his favour.
I think we will have to wait till Dave does more commentary to be able to properly compare these two grates of the game

Bazal

Post Whore
Strike rates don't get me very excited in test cricket. They were both attacking batsman and at their peak were very dangerous.

Warner a better arm and faster across the field, Hayden a better slipper.

Last point is highly debatable. And if we just go off the 'pub' test its Hayden by a mile. The only thing I find more redeemable about David Warner is that he is from Sydney.

Jeez I can't say I agree with that. Haydos probs only wins the pub test for some because you just know he's an alcoholic who would drink anything with anyone

Fangs

Coach

Better Ashes batsman as well.

Looks a better bat in the second innings as well. Warner in the second innings loses 8 runs on the average, Hayden actually gains a run. A real second innings bully.

Fangs

Coach
Jeez I can't say I agree with that. Haydos probs only wins the pub test for some because you just know he's an alcoholic who would drink anything with anyone

I haven't seen a lot of substance to the argument tbh. Feels like an LU thing.

Warner is the one who is going to throw punches in the pub after messes up his Keno slip.

Bazal

Post Whore
I haven't seen a lot of substance to the argument tbh. Feels like an LU thing.

Warner is the one who is going to throw punches in the pub after messes up his Keno slip.

Look I'm not gonna slander anyone but all I can say is former players do not have many nice things to say about some of the rumoured sledging. And he's such an arrogant merkin.

Reactions: PJ

Fangs

Coach
Look I'm not gonna slander anyone but all I can say is former players do not have many nice things to say about some of the rumoured sledging. And he's such an arrogant merkin.

I'll assume you have a problem with Warner then as well. His behaviour on the field prior to Capetown was embarrassing at times and he is a known sledger as well. I'll do some light reading on Hayden in the first session.

Off the field is a bit lopsided, we've all consumed the word salad from Hayden in the commbox (I view it as harmless, not vindictive like Chappell or Warney). Just wait until we see a bit of Warner's post cricket antics.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Big day for Marsh and Carey and Pakistan.

Its set up for those two to push on and get something massive. If they're serious about Marsh being an opener (laughable imo) then he's got the new ball to negotiate.

Pakistan fight and get us out for 400ish and then bat well they're back in it.

This Year?

Immortal
Gotta feel a bit for Pakistan here.
Almost get Baby Shark LBW, then Bison nicks one through a vacant 3rd slip.

Actually it's probably karma for that mised catch yesterday.