What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st Test: Australia v Pakistan @ Optus Stadium Perth, Dec 14-18 2023

Pippen94

First Grade
problem is then he might have played 6 tests in Aust if he was lucky, and most in NZ, where his record is, well, more Chris Martin than Gordon Greenidge... but yeah, great point based on knowing nothing about NZ openers, and nothing changes in terms of what I said - he's remarkably good in Australia, and strangely useless most other places (he is a much better player than his overseas record)

32.5 isn't bad average for opener overseas. Look around world cricket. A lot of openers averaging in 30's altogether.

Fangs

Coach
32.5 isn't bad average for opener overseas. Look around world cricket. A lot of openers averaging in 30's altogether.

Maybe not but it's a question of status.

Can he be considered a great? 100 tests gets you there I think. His stats not so much.

Pippen94

First Grade
Maybe not but it's a question of status.

Can he be considered a great? 100 tests gets you there I think. His stats not so much.

Who cares?! greatness is subjective.
Warner has been fixture in Aussie team for over a decade & won global championships in all formats. Made millions & picked his own final tour too. Overseas record important to some fans, but hardly held warner back.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
good to see a bit of starch from the Pakis, I thought we'd have then 4 or 5 down by stumps

Fangs

Coach
Who cares?! greatness is subjective.
Warner has been fixture in Aussie team for over a decade & won global championships in all formats. Made millions & picked his own final tour too. Overseas record important to some fans, but hardly held warner back.

You have to care it's cricket with a long history. We have these debates all the time.

One reason I love the sport is stat mining. It reveals a lot more about a player and I loathe that NRL doesn't have more insights.

Pippen94

First Grade
You have to care it's cricket with a long history. We have these debates all the time.

One reason I love the sport is stat mining. It reveals a lot more about a player and I loathe that NRL doesn't have more insights.

Victor Trumper averaged 38. Joe Darling the first great left hander averaged 28(?). No recent bowler can match record of ferris & turner. England once played two test matches at same time on different continents.

Test records aren't as pure as ppl make out..

simmo1

First Grade
He is what he is. Very good batsman and particularly good at home.

Sums it up really. Easy to write off that all his runs at home, but these runs are a huge reason why Australia is so dominant at home. He has played a big part in dominating the home Ashes the past 10 years - these runs have value.

Fangs

Coach
Victor Trumper averaged 38. Joe Darling the first great left hander averaged 28(?). No recent bowler can match record of ferris & turner. England once played two test matches at same time on different continents.

Test records aren't as pure as ppl make out..

That's a great example and worth looking into. Longer boundaries, uncovered wickets. Makes Bradman look unbelievable.

Most on here if not all are happy to look a level deeper. I was looking yesterday at averages by innings. Usually a batsman trends down each innings. But Hayden for example averages slightly better when batting second.

Bazal

Post Whore
That's a great example and worth looking into. Longer boundaries, uncovered wickets. Makes Bradman look unbelievable.

Most on here if not all are happy to look a level deeper. I was looking yesterday at averages by innings. Usually a batsman trends down each innings. But Hayden for example averages slightly better when batting second.

And talking about layers of depth, this Hayden stat is probably a function of two things - more day one green tops/more swing on the balls compared to today, and he was very good for an opener against spin.

Trumpers 38 probably translates to 55+ on modern decks with protective gear etc

hineyrulz

Post Whore
And talking about layers of depth, this Hayden stat is probably a function of two things - more day one green tops/more swing on the balls compared to today, and he was very good for an opener against spin.

Trumpers 38 probably translates to 55+ on modern decks with protective gear etc
Probably closer to 60-65. Clem Hill was a great of the time and averaged low 30's. Add in the fact Trumper wasn't a well man throughout a lot of his life and his record is brilliant for his time. It wasn't till the 20's where averages started to get over the 40 mark.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Channel 7 could chop about 10 people from their coverage. Copeland, Tauffel, that Peter Lalor ferret, Lane, Brayshaw, Elite idiot, Hayden to start.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Probably closer to 60-65. Clem Hill was a great of the time and averaged low 30's. Add in the fact Trumper wasn't a well man throughout a lot of his life and his record is brilliant for his time. It wasn't till the 20's where averages started to get over the 40 mark.
Coincided with the invention of the horse blanket.