What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st Test: India v New Zealand at Kanpur on Sep 22-26, 2016

JJ

Immortal
Yeah 197

Disappointing as we got ourselves in a good position then collapsed a bit. But some positives, Santer, Williamson, Latham and Ronchi.

Everyone just needs to be about 10% better, aside from Guptill who's just cooked, but stupidly they didn't take an opening option

vvvrulz

Coach
That collapse killed us, we were primed to take a lead and blew it, a lead of 80-120 would have been huge.

Then no answers in that second bowling innings, our spinners have to get something going otherwise we're going to get clean swept. Some good signs there so hopefully things pick up.

vvvrulz

Coach
Everyone just needs to be about 10% better, aside from Guptill who's just cooked, but stupidly they didn't take an opening option

Well, there isn't one really.

The last time we had a truly reliable opening batsman was that twat Mark Richardson.
Latham is the next best thing we've had, McCullum went nuts several times but he was't a traditional opener.

The only thing we can do is throw someone in like Raval, or promote say Watling or Nicholls and see how that goes. Until then, Guptill might as well plonk that foot down and start carting the ball around as if it's an ODI match, he might even play himself into some form after making a few connections and he does have an appetite for runs. Worst case, he crashes a quick 40 instead of a painful 0.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Surely there are other batsmen tho who van do a better job

Boonie was a no 3 and we made an opener out of him as we had to do something to fill a vacant spot

JJ

Immortal
There are many options as bad as him

Unfortunately Raval wasn't selected, so there's no obvious in squad replacement - most obvious approach is he plays again

Not sure if Neesham will be available for test 2, even if as a bat?

They were talking Ronchi as a potential opener, then I guess Neesham or Nicholls bats 5 - don't like that as ROnchi seems better down the order.

Watling to open, Ronchi keeps and Neesham/Nicholls in?

Neesham in for Craig and only play 1 of Sodhi/Dave?

On balance, I think Guptill plays out this series, he could get lucky I guess, problem is he's just terrible off a flat deck

Last edited:

Bazal

Post Whore
You could potentially open with Ronchi, he's done it at one day and I believe first class level so he has some experience at least. What about Watling, could he maybe be an option?

Or bite the bullet and give Williamson a go, if he's going to be in early as a 3 anyway....