What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st Test: Sri Lanka v Australia at Galle Aug 31-Sep 4, 2011

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
nice win but wont get too carried away

need to see Lyon on a normal pitch rather than this mine field

it does give us something to build on though

yappy

Bench
Baby steps. We took a few in the right direction though. The good bowling balance I hoped we were taking into the game delivered. The fielding was a huge improvement over recent times and whilst we didn't make any big scores the batsmen generally showed good application in tough conditions with the tail adding handy runs. It's not late Waugh/early Ponting era Australia, but it could be late Border era quality with good potential for upside development.

caylo

Bench
Baby steps. We took a few in the right direction though. The good bowling balance I hoped we were taking into the game delivered. The fielding was a huge improvement over recent times and whilst we didn't make any big scores the batsmen generally showed good application in tough conditions with the tail adding handy runs. It's not late Waugh/early Ponting era Australia, but it could be late Border era quality with good potential for upside development.

Copeland and Harris looked difficult to face but this pitch was never going to suit Johnson. Lyon look good and got a few to turn, needs to improve his consistency (i.e less bad ball) but he is young and showed he can drift and turn the ball. It was a dusty pitch and somewhere like the WACA he would probably struggle but then outside of Warne and Murli most would.

I think Johnson is 2-3 bad tests away from being dropped esp if Bollinger hits some good form. Watson also showed that when the ball is reversing he is just as difficult to face as anyone, I would love to see him at 4 so he could bowl more.

I don't see why people are saying "need to see Lyon on a normal pitch" I'd be more worried that he couldn't do the job on a pitch like this than a wicket with hardly any life in it. If Copeland does well at Brisbane you wouldn't say "Oh, let's see how he does in Melbourne"

Good win, resistance on the final day as expected with the pitch but the game was all but over by then.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
basically I just need to see a bit more of him at this level

not a believer in judging anyone on one test match

also need to see him on different surfaces and see how he adapt and what he has between his ears

Last edited:

Hallatia

Referee
word is that the Galle pitch has been rated as poor by match referee Chris Broad AND that the ICC has provided SLC with a copy of Mr Broad's report and requested a reply within 14 days.

Galle Test pitch rated as poor by ICC match referee
Mon, Sep 5, 2011

The International Cricket Council (ICC) today announced that the pitch for the Galle Test between Sri Lanka and Australia has been rated as poor by Chris Broad, the member of the Emirates Elite Panel of ICC Match Referees who officiated in the Test.

The ICC's General Manager - Cricket, David Richardson, and the ICC's chief match referee Ranjan Madugalle will now consider all the evidence, including studying video footage of the match and submissions from the host Member Board, before reaching their decision in due course.

Galle hosted the first Test between the two sides which was played from 31 August to 3 September. Australia won the Test by 125 runs with 40 wickets falling for 841 runs in 289.5 overs.

In accordance with the ICC Pitch and Outfield Monitoring Process, which came into effect in 2006 and which applies to all Tests, ODIs and T20Is, Mr Broad submitted a report to the ICC expressing his concerns over the quality of the pitch.

Under clause 3, 4 and 5 of the regulations governing the process, the ICC has provided Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) with a copy of Mr Broad's report and requested the SLC to respond. The SLC has now has 14 days to provide a reply to the ICC's request.

The ICC will make no further comments until Mr Richardson and Mr Madugalle have reached their decision.

ICC's Pitch and Outfield Monitoring Process can be found by clicking here.
Source

Latest posts