What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2 Group NRL comp needed

With 16 teams in the comp in 2007 the NRL should relocate Souths to the central coast to make it 8 sydney teams and 8 non sydney team.

There should be 22 rounds with two rounds against teams in your own group(14) and one round (8) against teams in the other group. plus "bye's" for origin/test match/city-country periods.

Each group will have a top 5 final series and a grandfinal with the premiers of each group then playing off in a best of three champion series - one game in sydney/ one game in brisbane and one game in either melbourne or nz

the 2 groups would be as follows and can be named as an example after famous players/coaches of the past

Dally Messenger Group

Roosters
Dragons
Eels
Bulldogs
Sharks
Panthers
Wests-Tigers
Manly

--------------
Arthur Beetson Group

Bronco's
CC Rabbitohs
Knights
Titans
Cowboys
Storm
Warriors
Raiders

This is the way the NRL Should go

juanfarkall

Coach
marshall stalin said:
With 16 teams in the comp in 2007 the NRL should relocate Souths to the central coast to make it 8 sydney teams and 8 non sydney team.

There should be 22 rounds with two rounds against teams in your own group(14) and one round (8) against teams in the other group. plus "bye's" for origin/test match/city-country periods.

Each group will have a top 5 final series and a grandfinal with the premiers of each group then playing off in a best of three champion series - one game in sydney/ one game in brisbane and one game in either melbourne or nz

the 2 groups would be as follows and can be named as an example after famous players/coaches of the past

Dally Messenger Group

Newtown
Dragons
Eels
Bulldogs
Sharks
Panthers
Wests-Tigers
Manly

--------------
Arthur Beetson Group

Bronco's
CC Rabbitohs
Knights
Titans
Cowboys
Storm
Warriors
Raiders

This is the way the NRL Should go

just correcting your error, Michelle.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Moving the Rabbitohs to the CC is probably the only thing there that has a snowflakes chance in hell of happening. And even that is probably as likely as snow during Xmas this year.

Azkatro

First Grade
Is this a perverse way to guarantee Sydney don't miss a GF ever again?

Face it traditionalists ... your future lies in the lower grades.

BuffaloRules

Coach
I would like to see a draw where each year the teams with rivalries are guaranteed of playing each other twice ( both home and away).

For example, the Broncos should always play the Cowboys and Titans home and away, Saints should play Parra and the Dogs home and away etc....

However,its a lame idea to have two pools for the final series....

I really want to see the Wests Tigers beat Manly in a GF...under your system there would never be an all Sydney GF again....

Azkatro said:
Is this a perverse way to guarantee Sydney don't miss a GF ever again?

Face it traditionalists ... your future lies in the lower grades.

no as each group will have a top 5 final series and grandfinal - the championship series - best of 3 games will be played by the premiers of each group as i said - 1 game in sydney/ 1 game in brisbane and 1 game in melbourne or nz.

this is way the NRL should go.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
BuffaloRules said:
I would like to see a draw where each year the teams with rivalries are guaranteed of playing each other twice ( both home and away).

For example, the Broncos should always play the Cowboys and Titans home and away, Saints should play Parra and the Dogs home and away etc....
They do this already. I remember an article saying the NRL made sure that the Broncos would play the Titans and Cowboys twice next year. It's probably too much trouble (impossible) to make sure that every rivalry has two games per year though.

wittyfan

Referee
I've read some crap competition suggestions over the years on this forum, but this one really takes the cake.

BuffaloRules said:

However,its a lame idea to have two pools for the final series....

I really want to see the Wests Tigers beat Manly in a GF...under your system there would never be an all Sydney GF again....

there would be as sydney based teams are in the same group - each group will have a top 5 final series and grand final.

my system guarantees teams with rivalries will play each twice as well as including the three queensland based teams in the one group as you want to see.

The 3 game championship series where the premiers of each group will pay off will be huge not only in tv/radio rating but interest and crowds.

imagine it being 1 all with game 3 say at the mcg in front of 100,000 people.

this comp will work and the NRL should bring it in

Ari Gold

Bench
Great idea, email the NRL A.S.A.P!

Hopefully we can get this up and running before the Titans come in.

Stagger eel

Staff member
robyalvaro said:
Great idea, email the NRL A.S.A.P!

Hopefully we can get this up and running before the Titans come in.

well atleast Graeme Annesly will get a good laugh out of it...

Quidgybo

Bench
BuffaloRules said:
marshall stalin said:
there would be as sydney based teams are in the same group - each group will have a top 5 final series and grand final.

my system guarantees teams with rivalries will play each twice as well as including the three queensland based teams in the one group as you want to see.
A rose by any other name is still a rose. You can call the deciding matches in each group "Grand Finals" if you like, but they are still essentially preliminary finals. It is the last game, the match that decides the premiership, that everybody is interested in. What your system guarantees is the ulimate game (or series of games if you play more than one) can never be contested by two Sydney teams. Sure you will have all these great traditional clashes each season, but they can never be played out in the ultimate match. In trying to ensure an all non Sydney final never happens again you've lost sight of the fact that the possibility of an all interstate Grand Final is the price you pay to ensure that any two teams can still meet in the deciding match - including a traditional all-Sydney final.

Leigh.

joshreading

Staff member
I am of the opinion that something similar should happen. With one national based conference and one Sydney based conference. However you should play your conference home and away for the conference shield. (first past the post) and then each team in the opposing conference once.

Semi finals would be played as normal with the top eight. I think it gives potential for Sydney clubs to have their traditional rivalries maintained and encouraged through a 'Sydney Champion' as such but also the other cities see the one team big city rivalries.

Latest posts