What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2 X 9 team conference system

Eelementary

Post Whore
Tbh I think one area that would help eliminate the wrestle is coaching - if coaches start telling their teams to push up in support of a forward making a hitup, the defending team will be less likely to definitely commit three men to a tackle, knowing an offload or pass may come.

And then coaches need to look at tape of players who are strong at landing in their stomach most of the time (like Mannah) and coach their players to do that.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Also - I wonder if moving the 10m back to 15m might help eliminate the wrestle.

I mean, it's all good and well to send three men into a tackle, but if they're trying to tackle a big, strong prop who already has a full head of steam by the time he's run 10m, his power and momentum might be enough to make wrestling difficult.

Besides, these days the ten is more like 8...

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
So give us a better way pou.

Its easy to ridicule guys like me who are common folk trying to instill ideas to try benefit our great game that we love and adore.

Your up pou

I look forward to your counter argument.

I think it would be better to discourage teams from grinding rather than turning every tackle into more of a f**kfight than it already is.

This would require two major rule changes:

1. Reduce the number of players on the field (I like nine, with four on the bench).

2. Reduce the tackle count (I like three or four).

Other changes would be required to reduce the need for the wrestle.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Also - I wonder if moving the 10m back to 15m might help eliminate the wrestle.

I think it would make the wrestle worse. The reason for the wrestle is to slow the play-the-ball, which became even more important after the introduction of the ten metre rule. The wrestle was brought in to give the defence time to reset.

Moving things back to 15m will just make quick play-the-balls even more important. In fact, they would probably lead to a linebreak every time. Most (if not all) teams would rather risk a penalty than give up a guaranteed linebreak.

The best way to reduce the wrestle would be to bring the defence closer - back to five metres would do it. That would force teams to actually use the ball rather than hammering it up the guts looking for a quick play-the-ball.

lingard

Coach
Ok pou, you have inspired me.

Rule change no1: No video ref apart from 2 capt challenges

no 2: 6 man interchange only for each team

no 3: back to 1 on field ref.

no 4: expand the playing field by half metre on each side.

BIG 5: stripping is allowed in all tackles regardless of how many players involved untill player is called held. This will eliminate the incosistent calls that can go either way with constant hands on the ball from players trying to wrap the ball up in defence. Thus, this will promote more ball movement from boring forward hit up game plans and open the game from the more predictable crap we have been witnessing lately. This will result in the ball changing over more frequently and the modern territorial game(playing for penalties) will be diminished.

I disagree. I think there should be NO stripping allowed whatsoever. When an attacking player has the ball, a defender is allowed to tackle them - that's all. None of this knocking the ball out of their hands stuff. That's for sissies. If attacking players weren't so worried about having the ball stripped from them, there'd be a lot more adventurous attacking play - forwards looking to get the pass away a la Arthur Beetson, more adventurous off-loading, etc. Stripping is an absolute blight on the game and leads players to be way too conservative in attack.

I disagree. I think there should be NO stripping allowed whatsoever. When an attacking player has the ball, a defender is allowed to tackle them - that's all. None of this knocking the ball out of their hands stuff. That's for sissies. If attacking players weren't so worried about having the ball stripped from them, there'd be a lot more adventurous attacking play - forwards looking to get the pass away a la Arthur Beetson, more adventurous off-loading, etc. Stripping is an absolute blight on the game and leads players to be way too conservative in attack.

....and then you'd see blokes just let go of the ball whenever a defender's arm was in the vicinity. Free penalty.

Latest posts