What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

20,000 pre sold for Brisbane Test

Ari Gold

Bench
TBH you're expecting a bit too much... Ashes coming up (Biggest one in decades), Aussie Open (Biggest one in decades) going on at the moment. Would've been pissed off if Union had gotten more coverage, but no, they are getting the same if not less than us.

A special mention to the Today Show as well... they devoted another 5 minutes this morning to an interview with K Hunt and constantly talked up the series, not one bit of negativity at all.

Brutus

Referee
The Today Show is great for rugby league.

Cameron Williams is a league nut from way back and isn't backward in showing his affection for the game.

miccle

Bench
Two-Penny Prince said:
Origin is different from Internationals. Much more personal than playing GB. So I don't see the point comparing the two. I will most definitely be at Game III next year.

I have a Brisbane season ticket and travel to see them once or twice a year. Not comparing the two, just saying that I can't afford to go to both and whilever there are internationals I won't be bothered attending origin matches.

miccle

Bench
And in final news after my visit to the Ticketek site.. I could only get offered a ticket in a bay which was 7**. The 700's are well and truly the nosebleeds:

sfx12814.gif

Let's pray for a few walking up tonight (weather here is BEAUTIFUL!) and a crowd in excess of 47,000. I'm heading off in around half an hour and am getting PUMPED.

TheBourbonBeast

Juniors
Justifacation for the second NRL team for south east Queensland

Hope the place isn't dominated by poms but, I still remember a wallabies v brittish lions at the gabba that was dominated all night by screaming poms - it was a nightmare. Hope it doesn't happen in the ashes too.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
miccle said:
And in final news after my visit to the Ticketek site.. I could only get offered a ticket in a bay which was 7**. The 700's are well and truly the nosebleeds:

sfx12814.gif

Let's pray for a few walking up tonight (weather here is BEAUTIFUL!) and a crowd in excess of 47,000. I'm heading off in around half an hour and am getting PUMPED.
I was in the front section of the 340's. Most of the poms say directly opposite. Pretty good night out.

TrevorAllan

Juniors
The Australia and GB fans tonight were brilliant. GB played tough but without a midfield general you are not going to win a game like that.

I think the Kiwis have to be favourites next week. THe aussie pack is weak.

Paullyboy

Coach
How good was the anthem? Sounded awesome.

Just shows that Sydney should never ever be given any big games ever again - let them just jump on the occassional bandwagon because they've proven they cant support things regularly.

Sam_the_man

First Grade
I was at the Christchurch game v GB, the crowd sung the NZ anthem....i thought it was brilliant, but what Brisbane did lastnight was simply outstanding and it sound incredible on TV....even to a Kiwi:)

langpark

First Grade
this'll sound weird, but i'm a bit disappointed with 44k. I think it would have been a few thousand higher if it weren't for dickhead journo's pulling fake ticket sale numbers (45k on Friday) outta their arses, this deters alot of people who would have gotten a walk up ticket, they would have been afraid of showing up and missing out. Also, I don't wanna add to the anti-sydney vibe any extra, but they are sort of the 'trendsetters' and if we see them getting tiny crowds, some of us may think "is there something wrong with this event? should we bother?" etc

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Isnt that a great picture, seeing almost the whole ground packed in a test match between the Aussies and GB in Australia, the only empty seats are the ones on the top tier which you can bearly see. Finally a great test crowd in Australia, finally the Kangaroos get the biggest cheer when they score and win the match, and hear the national anthem sung loudly by almost everyone in the stadium. We want our Kangaroos to feel right at home. Brisbane supporters are passionate about their rugby league regardless of the results, they were definately gonna turn up in big numbers. I take my hat off to them, they deserve a league test, which is unfortunate for us Sydney supporters who cant even get 40,000 in Aussie or Telstra.

ledzep

Bench
i flew up for the game last night, and just two things:
suncorp's the best stadium i've ever seen
there was a lot of roos jerseys and merchandise being worn also

langpark

First Grade
ledzep said:
i flew up for the game last night, and just two things:
suncorp's the best stadium i've ever seen
there was a lot of roos jerseys and merchandise being worn also
Yeah it's amazing how many ppl have the jersey! I put it down to the last two ANZAC Tests being in Brisbane

yakstorm

First Grade
langpark said:
this'll sound weird, but i'm a bit disappointed with 44k. I think it would have been a few thousand higher if it weren't for dickhead journo's pulling fake ticket sale numbers (45k on Friday) outta their arses

It wasn't a b/s figure though,m 45K were sold on Friday... in fact just shy of 49K were sold for the entire match, why 5K worth of paying individuals didn't turn up I'm not sure, but that is a question for another day....

ali

Bench
PARRA_FAN said:
Isnt that a great picture, seeing almost the whole ground packed in a test match between the Aussies and GB in Australia, the only empty seats are the ones on the top tier which you can bearly see. Finally a great test crowd in Australia, finally the Kangaroos get the biggest cheer when they score and win the match, and hear the national anthem sung loudly by almost everyone in the stadium. We want our Kangaroos to feel right at home. Brisbane supporters are passionate about their rugby league regardless of the results, they were definately gonna turn up in big numbers. I take my hat off to them, they deserve a league test, which is unfortunate for us Sydney supporters who cant even get 40,000 in Aussie or Telstra.

Brilliant night, and what a wonderful stadium. That's my 4th time there now, and easily the loudest crowd. Even the mexican wave was the loudest I've ever heard. Quite a few gaps in between soldout areas. That was weird. I guess we need to factor no shows into any pax figures in the future.

Also, the Brisbane public has definately got behind the Roos. My first trip up there for an Anzac Test was last year (?) and there was more Wannabe gear than Roos gear in the crowd. But that was definately turned around last night. Also good to see so many genuine British RL fans. I was expecting a far higher proportion of British non RL fans. But there would have been a few hundred fans in proper Lions jerseys and another 500 or so in Super League jerseys. The most I saw were Leeds and Wigan fans, but saw a good range of clubs. Also, was very impressed by the Batley Barmy Army.

As for other poms I saw a few guys in Lions Union tour shirts, one chick in a Gloucester Union top and the odd soccer shirt. But the British RL to other sport ratio would have been running about 10-1.

langpark

First Grade
yakstorm said:
It wasn't a b/s figure though,m 45K were sold on Friday... in fact just shy of 49K were sold for the entire match, why 5K worth of paying individuals didn't turn up I'm not sure, but that is a question for another day....
how can you be so certain of that?

ali said:
Brilliant night, and what a wonderful stadium. That's my 4th time there now, and easily the loudest crowd. Even the mexican wave was the loudest I've ever heard. Quite a few gaps in between soldout areas. That was weird. I guess we need to factor no shows into any pax figures in the future.

Also, the Brisbane public has definately got behind the Roos. My first trip up there for an Anzac Test was last year (?) and there was more Wannabe gear than Roos gear in the crowd. But that was definately turned around last night. Also good to see so many genuine British RL fans. I was expecting a far higher proportion of British non RL fans. But there would have been a few hundred fans in proper Lions jerseys and another 500 or so in Super League jerseys. The most I saw were Leeds and Wigan fans, but saw a good range of clubs. Also, was very impressed by the Batley Barmy Army.

As for other poms I saw a few guys in Lions Union tour shirts, one chick in a Gloucester Union top and the odd soccer shirt. But the British RL to other sport ratio would have been running about 10-1.
I agree, thought it was an awesome night, and i can't wait for the World Cup so we can experience that on an even bigger scale. Was great to see so many Aussie jersey and Britain jerseys. But as far as club jerseys go, St Helens definitely had the biggest representation, followed by Hull from wat I saw. Great to see them making the trip over in such huge numbers (considering about 5 Aussies travel over when it's in England), and i hope the loss didn't ruin their trip too much.

I actually hope that alot of British non-RL fans attended, it was a great opportunity to win some of them over.