What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

20,000 pre sold for Brisbane Test

langpark

First Grade
Coastbloke said:
This is sounding great.

All we need now is a close game. Doesn't matter who wins.

It sh*ts me to tears we have to hope for a full house or close to it when we know yawnion will fill it for a Test and league has the better product by a country mile....

If we had a friend in Channel Nein who would show it live in all markets the exposure would be enormous.

Make no mistake, this Test is not just a test of players between Australia and GB. This is also a test of how the people who run this game can maximise the spectacle of International Rugby League it's capable of.
it also sh*ts me that we in Qld lower our expectations when we see the tiny crowd in sydney, that's the effect it has

Calixte

First Grade
Coastbloke said:
This is sounding great.

All we need now is a close game. Doesn't matter who wins.

It sh*ts me to tears we have to hope for a full house or close to it when we know yawnion will fill it for a Test and league has the better product by a country mile....

If we had a friend in Channel Nein who would show it live in all markets the exposure would be enormous.

Make no mistake, this Test is not just a test of players between Australia and GB. This is also a test of how the people who run this game can maximise the spectacle of International Rugby League it's capable of.

Union can only fill it for tests against one country - New Zealand (and even then only after a major drought of rah rah tests in Brisbane).

These days it seems the biggest test match in rugby league for Aussies is against the NZ'ers also.

The crowd figure is largely irrelevant in any event.

gottabegood

Juniors
langpark said:
it also sh*ts me that we in Qld lower our expectations when we see the tiny crowd in sydney, that's the effect it has

Thats a great and very true comment, if Sydney turns up, there is no doubt it would have a massive (positive) effect on crowds everywhere else....especially Melbourne. And if Perth and Adelaide were still in, it would be the same deal.

Gibbo

Juniors
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,20770687-10389,00.html

Suncorp may lose NZ TestSteve Ricketts
November 16, 2006 11:00pm
Article from: Font size: + -
Send this article: Print Email

BRISBANE'S Suncorp Stadium is set to miss out on next year's Trans-Tasman rugby league Test in April because of a glut of big matches.

With 42,000 tickets sold for tomorrow night's Tri-Nations clash between Australia and Britain, Suncorp Stadium has advanced its claims for more international league.
But the fact two State of Origin matches and at least 14 NRL matches have been scheduled for the 53,000-capacity venue next year has administrators worried.

The Broncos will have 12 home matches at Suncorp and the Gold Coast Titans two.

In addition, St George Illawarra is considering moving its round 12 clash with the Broncos from Sydney to Brisbane.

The April 20 Test comes a week after the Titans-Broncos match at Suncorp and a month before the first Origin clash.

"The Queensland public's response to representative football has to be acknowledged and that is sure to happen in 2008 when we host the World Cup," ARL chief executive Geoff Carr said yesterday.

"But next year we have to be careful we do not over saturate the market. That's not to say Brisbane won't get the Trans-Tasman Test."

A crowd of 44,191 attended the Trans-Tasman Test at Suncorp Stadium on May 5.

Australia is guaranteed a place in the Tri-Nations final in Sydney tomorrow week and Britain will qualify if it wins tomorrow, otherwise New Zealand will be there.

The Kiwis arrived in Sydney on Wednesday confident Australia will win tomorrow.

But British coach Brian Noble believes his side can spring an upset .

"We came here wanting to earn respect and we've got one foot in the door," he said. "We need to put two feet through by winning tomorrow."

Brutus

Referee
How poor has the build up for this game been in the Sydney media. Half a page on the match well back into the sports section of the Daily Telegraph. All 2KY could talk about this morning was stupid Australia A rugby union and Wallabies, plus soccer. I'l back the coverage of the final on Sydney soil being just as poor.

PARANoIR

Bench
I'm going down tomorrow night, hoping for a sell out. Should be great.

Went to the test there earlier in the year aswell, although it wasn't an Origin-like atmosphere, being down near Kiwi corner was awesome.

If they have the WC Final in brissie, that'd be tops.

ali

Bench
I think the coverage will pick up next week if the final is against NZ. I think a tight Aussie win is the best result come tomorrow night. I'm worried GB will struggle in the final. I think the Kiwi form is highly regarded and a final vs NZ will be highly anticipated by the media.

But the lack of coverage this week for mine is further proof that test footy should be played in a mid season break. if the NRL finals was on now, we certainly wouldn't be fighting for coverage.

mark123

Juniors
45,000 sold. This is great. It will break the brisbane records set in the past surely. With one day to go I wonder if it will crack 50,000. Lets hope it does. Maybe judging by the upsurge in sales it just will.

Sydney needs a stadium like suncorp.

yakstorm

First Grade
Two records could be broken this weekend in Brisbane:

Largest ever test crowd - 46,355 set when Australia played Great Britain at the Gabba in 1954.

Largest ever Lang Park Test crowd - 45,057 against Great Britain in 1956

Lets hope Brisbane can break both these marks!

Stewie Griffin

Juniors
yakstorm said:
Two records could be broken this weekend in Brisbane:

Largest ever test crowd - 46,355 set when Australia played Great Britain at the Gabba in 1954.

Largest ever Lang Park Test crowd - 45,057 against Great Britain in 1956

Lets hope Brisbane can break both these marks!

I think we will!!!:D :D :D

Desert Qlder

First Grade
I had a feeling about this match when the draw for the series was first released.

After attending the Anzac Test 2005 when 40000 turned up I realised that International Rugby League was finding itself again in Brisbane. This feeling was reaffirmed again this year. I managed top convince my old man that we should go to this match after we missed out on Ashes tickets. He was initially skeptical but I said to him that the game is five days before the Ashes begins and plenty of Poms would be in town, and it would make for great atmosphere. Furthermore there was something about seeing Australia play the old enemy.

I now feel vindicated in my decision. This game now has a real special feeling about it. Not only are we going to witness an important match in the context of the 2006 Trinations Tournament, but it is also a celebration of the history of Aus/GB matches. For me it can't get much better. So I'll be flying in from the Alice tomorrow, and will be enjoying a drink at the Clarence Corner Hotel before the game if anyone is interested.

Brisbane is fast becoming the home of Australian Rugby League. While Sydney is the home of the NRL, it seems that the Australian team and Coach look at Suncorp Stadium as their home ground.

Now I think about that has a nice ring...Suncorp Stadium, Home of The Australian Kangaroos

miccle

Bench
Wow - a trip from the Alice to make the game. I commend you for that mate, it's an awesome effort and if I wasn't rushing straight from work to get to the match I'd be very keen for a beer.

I also love the ring the 'home to the Australian Kangaroos' line for Suncorp, and my oath it feels that way.

I've tossed out the idea of attending origin now that Brisbane is finally getting games on a yearly basis - i know which I'd rather see!

I also hope that the ARL are kicking themselves over ignoring Brisbane.

Before 2004, we hadn't hosted an international since 98 or 99... while the games were continually taken to Sydney. I think our response ensures that such a drought will never happen again in this city.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
Stuart seems to be on the side of Qld here...

Stuart calls for more Suncorp games
By Wayne Heming
November 17, 2006 AUSTRALIA coach Ricky Stuart is extremely concerned by talk Brisbane's Suncorp Stadium could lose next year's Trans Tasman rugby league Test despite the tremendous support Queensland fans have given his Kangaroos.

Viewed by many Queenslanders as the enemy when he played for New South Wales sides and recently coached them to wins over the Maroons, Stuart said officials should be looking at giving Suncorp Stadium more Test and big matches, not taking games off them.

He was commenting on reports that Suncorp Stadium could miss out on next April's Trans Tasman Test because officials believed, with as many as 14 NRL matches and a State of Origin game at the ground in 2007, Brisbane fans already had an overload of big games.

With the Broncos having 12 home games, the NRL's new franchise the Gold Coast Titans playing at least two of its marquee clashes there and St George-Illawarra angling to move its round 12 blockbuster against Brisbane to Suncorp, the 53,000-seat venue could host up to 16 big games in 2007.

More than 45,000 tickets have already been sold for tomorrow night's Tri-Nations clash which Stuart says should send a message to officials about how strong the support is in Brisbane.

Stuart said rugby league bosses should wait and see how Sydney fans supported next week's Tri-Nations final in Sydney before making any decision about taking the Trans Tasman Test off fans who are passionate and loyal.

"To take a Test away from them (Brisbane) would be a kick in the backside to the support they gave the Australian team this year when we were under the most pressure after losing the Tri Nations final last year," said Stuart, who made his national coaching debut with a 50-12 payback win over the Kiwis in front of 44,191 fans at Suncorp in the swansong Test for Andrew Johns and Ben Kennedy in May.

"This side was under an awful lot of pressure and the people of Brisbane understood it," he said.

"The people of Brisbane got right behind the team and helped us win the game.

"I'm big on giving credit where it is due and we had incredible support that game.

"I'm not sure we would have got that support elsewhere."

Stuart said he would have supported the Tri-Nations final being played at Suncorp ahead of Aussie Stadium, which pulled only 24,953 on a damp night when Australia played Great Britain two weeks ago.

"Before they start pulling games from Brisbane they should have a look at the game in Sydney next week and this game and start asking where is the heartland of rugby league.

"Are we losing it in Sydney?

"They've sold 8,000 tickets for the (Sydney) final and it's a packed house up in Brisbane this weekend and it's not the final.

"The people that know me know I care about the game and the quality of support rugby league players have got this week through the kids at training sessions and schools, it's a strong threshold for rugby league and we need to acknowledge that and support it."

Stuart's argument could get a huge boost with fans set to break Brisbane's all-time Test attendance record of 46,355 set when Australia played Great Britain at the Gabba in 1954.

The Lang Park Test record of 45,057 against Great Britain in 1956 is also under threat.

AAP

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,20774433-23214,00.html

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Origin is different from Internationals. Much more personal than playing GB. So I don't see the point comparing the two. I will most definitely be at Game III next year.

But I would hate for the ARL to go into overkill though after seeing this. Personally I don't have a problem with losing the Anzac Test, as I would love to see it go to one of Townsville, Newcastle, Canberra or Gold Coast.

However the notion that the most important games should automatically go to Sydney must be thrown out the window.

Brutus

Referee
HUDDERSFIELDUK said:
better than over here mate,RL doesnt even get a mention in some national papers over here.:x

But Sydney is supposed rugby league territory. The biggest RL city in the world.