What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

20 teams. 19 rounds.

JDSloane

Juniors
There has to be a way to make it fairer on a competitive level throughout the whole NRL season. As a few have said above. A system where you play e'one else once...make it alternate H&A games from yr to yr (ie: Manly v Brisbane 1st yr at Brookie, next yr at Suncorp, following yr back at Brookie, etc)
Could still cut the competition into Conferences but still play it out the same way. Seems the fairest & most logical way, no matter how many teams we expand to...

BuderusIsaBeast

Juniors
I think a 20 team competition is what the NRL should strive for. I would love the NRL to take a risk and bring in 4 new teams and really set the game up for the next for years. The teams can be brought in 1 every 2 years or 2 every 3 years it docent matter. There is not the player depth to make 20 evenly matched teams atm however if we bring the teams in we can let the talent build over time. The financial reward and TV rights money are obvious advantages and the NRL has a real opportunity to create a national presence in Australia and build in NZ. 17, 18 and 19 are pretty obvious. Brisbane 2, Western Australia and NZ 2. The 20th team will be close between Adelaide and NZ 3. The competition might even struggle for a year or two with growing problems however the rewards this will create in 10 to 20 years far out way the negatives. Interested to hear others opinions

RoosTah

Juniors
How about just moving to 17 teams first?

Even that seems a gigantic leap at present.

The financials of it dictate that if you're gonna go to 17, you may as well add another and make it a round 18 anyway because it gives each round an extra match that way.

BuderusIsaBeast

Juniors
For those who don't believe we have the depth for more teams I have put together 4 starting 17 options just using Aus/NZ players from the Super League and a few ex NRL players from Super Rugby. To improve and fill out the squads there could be english super league players, Super Rugby players (especially key for NZ teams) and talent form the Q cup and NSW cup. Im not saying these teams would challenge for the title or that the NRL talent depth won't take a hit. However I believe the depth and talent in Rugby league is far superior then what people make it out to be.

1. Jarryd Hayne - Karmichael Hunt - Kurt Gidley - Reece Robinson
2. Pat Richards - Ken Sio - Josh Mantellato - Bill Tupou
3. Israel Folau - Krisnan Inu - Joel Moon - Junior Sau
4. Joe Tomane - Mahe Fonua - Charly Runciman - Willie Tonga
5. Daniel Vidot - Eto Nabuli - Josh Monaghan - Corey Thompson
6. Todd Carney - Albert Kelly - Robert Lui - Terry Campese
7. Chris Sandow - Luke Walsh - Rangi Chase - Ben Roberts
8. Adam Cuthbertson - Ashton Sims - Fui Fui Moi Moi - Mitch Allgood
9. Ryan Hinchcliffe - Beau Fallon - Michael Sio - Paul Aiton
10. Keith Galloway - Mitch Garbutt - Willie Mason - Mitch Dodds
11. Frank Pritchard - Sika Manu - Chris Houston - Justin Horo
12. Sonny Bill Williams - Dave Taylor - Mark Minichiello - Ben Murdoch Masila
13. Glenn Stewart - Anthony Tupou - Reni Maitua - Dominqiue Peyroux
14. Wes Naiqama - Ukuma Ta'ai - Brett Delaney - Tini Arona
15. Michael Dobson - Corey Paterson - Taulima Tautai - Sam Rapira
16. Carlos Tuimivave - Lama Tasi - Mitch Achurch - Dane Tilse
17.Travis Burns - Atlea Vea - Dayne Weston - Weller Hauraki

MARSHALL ZHUKOV

Juniors
20 is too many - i would split the current 16 into 4 groups of 4 as below

1) NQ/Broncos/GC/Newcastle
2) Manly/SS/SR/Cronulla
3) Penrith/Parra/WT/Bulldogs
4) STGI/Raiders/Storm/NZW

Play each team once - 15 games
Play teams in your group again - 3 games
Play teams in another group again - 4 games i.e teams will play teams in other groups over a 3 year period

Total 22 rounds - 3 weekends off for SOO and 1 for the ANZAC Test- 26 rounds as per now

Finals series - top 2 from each group make up the 8 - it will be 1 vs 1- 2 Winners through to week 3 - 2 losers of 1 v 1 Will play the winners of 2 v 2 and so.

The above is totally fair as teams in their groups are all playing the same teams not like currently where teams maybe play the top teams twice and others only play them once etc etc.

T-Boon

Coach
I'd make the NRL competition an under 24 competition from which players are drafted to a proper national Super comp with 10 brand new super teams. (3 Sydney, 2 Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth, Auckland, Wellington, Newcastle).
A player cannot nominate for the Super comp draft until they are 21 and they are eligible for the NRL competition between the ages of 17 and 24.

Last Week

Bench
I'd make the NRL competition an under 24 competition from which players are drafted to a proper national Super comp with 10 brand new super teams. (3 Sydney, 2 Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth, Auckland, Wellington, Newcastle).
A player cannot nominate for the Super comp draft until they are 21 and they are eligible for the NRL competition between the ages of 17 and 24.

That's a SUPER idea.

Marlins

Juniors
That's a cool idea
Although I think the teams should be -
Sydney city team
Western Sydney
Brisbane
West Brisbane
NQLD
Auckland
Wellington
Melbourne
Adelaide
Perth

That's a cool idea
Although I think the teams should be -
Sydney city team
Western Sydney
Brisbane
West Brisbane
NQLD
Auckland
Wellington
Melbourne
Adelaide
Perth

You would have Wellington before Newcastle?

In any case, any plan along these lines would be the end of Rugby League.

Pommy

Coach

Exactly why would the current 16 teams go along with this idea to totally ruin their businesses?

T-Boon

Coach
They wont, its not ever going to happen for the reason you said (the clubs will not want it). Its just an idea I had.
It potentially gets around the problem of losing fans to other codes when you expand or cut teams.
I was thinking you could sneak it in by first establishing these new 'super clubs' in a very short off season 9s (or 10, or 11s) competition where the superstars of the game get drafted. Similar concept to the Big Bash.
My mock draft order is: Hayne, SBW, Inglis, Thurston, Radradra, Milford, Folau, Burgess...
Its good fun.

Pommy

Coach
They wont, its not ever going to happen for the reason you said (the clubs will not want it). Its just an idea I had.
It potentially gets around the problem of losing fans to other codes when you expand or cut teams.
I was thinking you could sneak it in by first establishing these new 'super clubs' in a very short off season 9s (or 10, or 11s) competition where the superstars of the game get drafted. Similar concept to the Big Bash.
My mock draft order is: Hayne, SBW, Inglis, Thurston, Radradra, Milford, Folau, Burgess...
Its good fun.

Oh in that case I would make it a 14 player game but he 14th player has to be a unicorn and the referee is always Neptune.

Marlins

Juniors
The NRL is piss weak there should definitely be two extra teams by 2018 they should be -
West Coast Pirates
Western Corridor Bombers
By 2022 they should have 20 they should be -
PNG Headhunters
South Pacific Orcas

Latest posts