What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

20 teams and 20 rounds

DIOGENES

Juniors
yeh Stallion's back, and here we go. Insert as required:

Games dying since Bears demise
Union are out to kill us all
Tickets are too expensive

repeat ad nauseum
Have school holidays started already?
Another 6 weeks of "Union has taken Newcastle"

Stallion

First Grade
Have school holidays started already?
Another 6 weeks of "Union has taken Newcastle"

More than just union and its not just Newcastle either. Letting other codes come in areas where clubs have been carved up detrimentally effects the code as well. OH OK. please use a dictionary for core word "detrimental" See how you go!?

Last edited:

DIOGENES

Juniors
More than just union and its not just Newcastle either. Letting other codes come in areas where clubs have been carved up detrimentally effects the code as well. OH OK. please use a dictionary for core word "detrimental" See how you go!?
In this context “effect” is a noun, the corresponding verb is “affect”. However I will give you credit for using the adverb form of “detrimental”, unlike most Novocastrians who ignore the “ly” suffix.
I hope that you do not teach English

Stallion

First Grade
In this context “effect” is a noun, the corresponding verb is “affect”. However I will give you credit for using the adverb form of “detrimental”, unlike most Novocastrians who ignore the “ly” suffix.
I hope that you do not teach English

I hope you have nothing formal to do with rugby league! Your blind ignorance shows just how unaware you are.

DIOGENES

Juniors
What and new clubs like Southern beaches and the numerous pub teams don't exist? Plus the poaching of rugby league juniors when most hit high school age!

I understand Southern Beaches joined the competition more than 10 years ago.

I am also confused by the syntax:
Poaching of rugby league juniors when most hit high school age

Are you arguing that the majority of Rugby League juniors convert to rugby union at U12 and U13? Do you have statistical evidence?

Stallion

First Grade
I understand Southern Beaches joined the competition more than 10 years ago.

I am also confused by the syntax:
Poaching of rugby league juniors when most hit high school age

Are you arguing that the majority of Rugby League juniors convert to rugby union at U12 and U13? Do you have statistical evidence?

Mmmmm. I'm seeing and hearing of it in my local junior RL club. South Newcastle. A migration of juniors has been happening since the late 70s . (not long after the District competition elected to play many games on Sundays instead of Saturdays). This 'migration' has been a feature of Souths junior officials concern for decades! I have coached at Souths juniors and am well aware of this migration. Other inner city RL clubs have and are experiencing the same junior "migration" issue to union at this age group. Junior rugby league numbers in Newcastle are way down on previous decades. For example: Souths juniors were numbered around 600s in the 70s, 400s in the 90s . In 2017 it was in the 200s. Lately high profile coaches have helped junior numbers grow to 300 recently. Fortunately Tag versions of the code are helping to address this in the past year or so as well.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Mmmmm. I'm seeing and hearing of it in my local junior RL club. South Newcastle. A migration of juniors has been happening since the late 70s . (not long after the District competition elected to play many games on Sundays instead of Saturdays). This 'migration' has been a feature of Souths junior officials concern for decades! I have coached at Souths juniors and am well aware of this migration. Other inner city RL clubs have and are experiencing the same junior "migration" issue to union at this age group. Junior rugby league numbers in Newcastle are way down on previous decades. For example: Souths juniors were numbered around 600s in the 70s, 400s in the 90s . In 2017 it was in the 200s. Lately high profile coaches have helped junior numbers grow to 300 recently. Fortunately Tag versions of the code are helping to address this in the past year or so as well.

Must be the lure of playing in the super somethings or France, after all why would a 13 year old want to stay in RL and aim for the chance to play for one of ten professional nsw clubs on their dorrstep lol

Stallion

First Grade
Must be the lure of playing in the super somethings or France, after all why would a 13 year old want to stay in RL and aim for the chance to play for one of ten professional nsw clubs on their dorrstep lol

No dummy! If you read into the comment this 'migration' started after the senior District competition elected to play more Sunday games. Prior to 1970 all senior men's district rugby league was played on a Saturday. I suggest the social relevance of the code has been eroded by clubs that have elected to play mostly on Sundays. Most of the local kids want their Saturday night out and see their relatives and friends being socially relevant in playing the Saturday playing code of union . It's a simple as that. Over time it became the expected thing to do. Subsequently the local junior rugby league club continues to lose its juniors in their teens. This has also been the case for the other inner city senior clubs that have mostly played Sunday games over the past 3 to 4 decades. The clubs that have been playing mostly Saturday senior games have had no such loss of junior players to other codes.

Perth Red

Post Whore
No dummy! If you read into the comment this 'migration' started after the senior District competition elected to play more Sunday games. Prior to 1970 all senior men's district rugby league was played on a Saturday. I suggest the social relevance of the code has been eroded by clubs that have elected to play mostly on Sundays. Most of the local kids want their Saturday night out and see their relatives and friends being socially relevant in playing the Saturday playing code of union . It's a simple as that. Over time it became the expected thing to do. Subsequently the local junior rugby league club continues to lose its juniors in their teens. This has also been the case for the other inner city senior clubs that have mostly played Sunday games over the past 3 to 4 decades. The clubs that have been playing mostly Saturday senior games have had no such loss of junior players to other codes.

At 14? They must start their Saturday nights out early in Newcastle!

Stallion

First Grade
At 14? They must start their Saturday nights out early in Newcastle!

How dumb are you. Its called cultural relevance. When friends and older siblings/relatives are socially connected their is an inclination and natural progression for these young adolescents to go into the cultural accepted norm. The local norm being a migration to union due to the social advantage of playing on the more socially appealing Saturday as opposed to Sundays in local district rugby league . At senior level their is also the ableness to go to work situation on Monday which further attracts the young men to play their sport on a Saturday rather than a Sunday. This has been particularly the case for tradies etc. Having Sunday to recover is a big drawcard to attract players in a physical.contact sport. It's as simple as that and you still can't work this out !?

Last edited:

Te Kaha

First Grade
How dumb are you. Its called cultural relevance. When friends and older siblings/relatives are socially connected their is an inclination and natural progression for these younguys adolescents to go into the cultural accepted norm. The local norm being a migration to union due to the social advantage of playing on the more socially appealing Saturday as opposed to Sundays in local district rugby league . At senior level their is also the able Ness to go to work situation which further attractseating the young menough to play their sport on a Saturday rather than a Sunday. This has been particularly the casender for trades etc. Having Sunday to recover is a big drawcard to attract players in a physical.contact sport. It's as simple as that and you still can't work this our!?

"attractseating"?
"menough"?
"casender"?

[Stallion Mode On] I like using big words because it makes me appear more photosynthesis [Stallion Mode OFF]

Stallion

First Grade
"attractseating"?
"menough"?
"casender"?

[Stallion Mode On] I like using big words because it makes me appear more photosynthesis [Stallion Mode OFF]

Never thought I'd be stating this Te Kaha; But "thank you. I will amend."

Crusher

Coach
I remember back in the day as an up and coming cadet journo I found myself at a lunch that included Rex Mossop and Ron Casey (sorry for the name drops). Even though I swear they hated each other, they agreed on one thing and that was that the NSWRL as it was back then should be a national game if it was to ever to be considered a national sport - which by their numbers would have meant a 20 team comp.

Despite those that may argue to the contrary there is enough talent around the country to do it. I've covered league all my life and been to places that are in the back end of nowhere and have witnessed some extraordinary people that, for one reason or another, didn't get a guernsey.

Sure we'll carry some teams/ states for a while but that's all part of the games development. Maybe I'm in the minority but I do think we can manage it within a regular season especially if teams are split into Divisions similar to NFL.

Anyway great to see this forum still running strong.

Crusher signing out.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

Perth Red

Post Whore
I cant believe I've been sucked back into the stallion vortex of discussing NS Bears, Union taking over the world as they play on a Saturday and the need for Sydney to have more clubs. Sigh, how can I have let this happen?

Perth Red

Post Whore
How dumb are you. Its called cultural relevance. When friends and older siblings/relatives are socially connected their is an inclination and natural progression for these young adolescents to go into the cultural accepted norm. The local norm being a migration to union due to the social advantage of playing on the more socially appealing Saturday as opposed to Sundays in local district rugby league . At senior level their is also the ableness to go to work situation on Monday which further attracts the young men to play their sport on a Saturday rather than a Sunday. This has been particularly the case for tradies etc. Having Sunday to recover is a big drawcard to attract players in a physical.contact sport. It's as simple as that and you still can't work this out !?

Get them to move to WA, we play on a Saturday, must be why the game is doing so well lol