What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2005 Arias

madison

Juniors
Knightmare said:
:lol: My flatmate and I loved the bogans on that show: "I just did a poo! And I didn't flush!". Weirdly enough, I thought Chris looked pretty sexy as the school girl :?

lmao. Great show. I loved Ricky Wong and Ja'mie.

iggy plop

First Grade
Panthers_God said:
Dude have you even listen to Ben Lees music?
Catch My Disease is probably about 6th best song on his album in my opinion.
His music is awsome, its so unique. He is one of the best Aussie singers there is.

You make me sick.

The ARIAS make me sick.

There is far better Aussie music around than most of that sh*t.

Big Mick

Referee
Some of the arrogance and absolute bullsh*t in this thread astounds me.

Hevy...you like Metal...big deal....obviously Panthers God doesn't like Metal and goes for something a little lighter in Ben Lee....does that mean that them are stupid for not liking what you like?

Personally I think Metal is the sh*ttest form of music around, but i'm not gonna say that your stupid because you like that type of music, because its your taste and your opinion.

I don't like Ben Lee either, but everyone has the right to choose what music they listen to.

HevyDevy

Coach
Well yes, you are actually correct in that and I never accused anyone of being stupid or whatever for the music they listen to. Similar to what I just said to Carcharias on another thread, at no stage have I proclaimed that metal (just to be VERY clear here millersnose because you have trouble reading detail, I said metal not death metal) is superior to any other style of music. I even noted that there is no genre, other than country, that I don't listen to.

Aside from the occasional sh*t-stirring, such as when I threw Devin Townsend's name into the 'best band ever' thread to see what the reaction would be (quiote amusing by the way), I've been quite fair. Others, though, have made laughable claims about metal when the reality is they simply can't handle the fact that, surprise surprise, it's 'heavy'. So much they fail to understand ...

sydraider

First Grade
Devin Townsend is brilliant, Strapping Young Lad and Ocean Machines, two varying styles but he seems to pull them both off easily. His Punky Brewster project was also brilliant, due to the fact he played punk a lot better than most punk bands.

HevyDevy

Coach
It's hilarious.

It was the same with Strapping - he heard Fear Factory one day, decided he could do ther same thing (but more insane) and wrote an album. I don't think he expected people would love it so much.

But yes, Ocean Machine is where it's at. One of the all-time great albums.

sydraider

First Grade
Another hilarious moment from devin was at a strapping young lad gig a while back, he asked the crowd...
"Do you love your metal" to obvious cheers..
"Would you die fo your metal" to even more cheers, he then proceeded to say..

"You guys are nuts, food and sex are better" :lol:

Kiwi

First Grade
Alex28 said:
Oh Panthers_God...you need to stop listening to music Commercial Radio tells you is cool and find a mind of your own...

Why is it if somebody likes a certain singer that fits more with what is most popular they don't have a mind of their own?

Gezz people seem to think that because they listen to unpopular bands that most don't care about or like they are suddenly superior.

Kiwi said:
Why is it if somebody likes a certain singer that fits more with what is most popular they don't have a mind of their own?

Gezz people seem to think that because they listen to unpopular bands that most don't care about or like they are suddenly superior.

AMEN! Nothing sh*ts me more then people hating mainstream music simply because it is mainstream. Especially if they liked the artist or band before they became popular. Alot of Missy Higgins haters out there for example.

Some comments in this thread are ridiculous and pig-headed.

Alex28

Coach
it depends what is behind why an artist all of a sudden becomes popular.

for instance I was a big Ben Harper fan for years - loved his first few albums, saw him live many many times...and then he released an album called 'Diamonds on the Inside' which he virtually admitted was made in order to increase sales and to make his record label happy. now to see an artist change his tact music-wise for financial gain is incredibly disappointing. Ben is now becoming rather huge all around the world and gets played on commercial radio and all that stuff and while he is getting what he wanted and what the record company wanted, you could probably forgive me if I'll find someone else to listen to...

it happens time and time again...and to be honest if i was an artist selling bugger all and my label was telling me to write a certain style to make both them and me rich, i dont know what i would do. however you have to expect that fans will not necessarily like it when it happens. Alex Lloyd, Ben Lee, Grinspoon, Missy Higgins - are all doing it right now in order to sell units rather than writing music for art sake.

and then it depends what you want out of music. there are people who listen to music - who are happy with a catchy tune and not much more. if thats what they like, then more power to them.

but there are people who love music and everything about it - they want more than a catchy tune and a commercially appealing image and marketing campaign. the problem in this post is that the two are clashing and what some see as arrogant, is more like being passionate about the industry.

if you see me as arrogant - so be it. i don't particularly care. however if you want to debate how good all these artists are who once wrote good music that commercial radio wouldn't touch before, and are now media darlings who have sold their soul for fame and money, then expect a debate and that not everyone is going to agree with you.

Balmain_Boy

I don't think it was arrogant. It was bloody condescending and patronising.

Having said that, for most of it, you are spot on. I don't think Awake is the New Sleep is a sell out to quite the same extent Diamonds on the Inside was though.

Alex28

Coach
mate...i have an opinion on Ben Lee and get frustrated that people go on about how good artists are once they dumb down their music for the masses. if i am condescending and patronising if i express it - then fine.

there are people out there that like music because the radio station they listen to play it ad-nauseum - Ben Lee seems to be this years Jack Johnson. if thats what they like - so be it. i suspect they don't appreciate what happens behind the scenes to get that level of airplay - in that record companies pay (or payola) to get their artist to be this years fad and people get sucked into it.

Balmain_Boy

I agree Ben Lee has dumbed his music down. In fact, imo he hasn't ever reached the level he reached with Grandpaw would, but maybe that's just me.

It doesn't mean you should say someone only likes his music because the radio tells them to. That's a bit over the top.

I actually think for what it is, Awake is the New Sleep isn't too bad. Sure it's pop and not a piece of art, but I think there are some good numbers on it. It's such a pity that the accompanying lyrics are so so simple.

Alex28

Coach
The other frustrating thing is that Triple J have been playing "Catch My Disease" since mid-February this year - so if it is such a good song why didn't the commercial stations pick it up sooner than say August or September when the country has seemed to go nuts over this little weasel? I know that Triple J seem to set the trend but 6 months difference is rediculous - I would suggest some programmers are being "encouraged" to play his music - and as a marketing ploy it is working great.

Kiwi

First Grade
Alex28 said:
it depends what is behind why an artist all of a sudden becomes popular..

for instance I was a big Ben Harper fan for years - loved his first few albums, saw him live many many times...and then he released an album called 'Diamonds on the Inside' which he virtually admitted was made in order to increase sales and to make his record label happy. now to see an artist change his tact music-wise for financial gain is incredibly disappointing. Ben is now becoming rather huge all around the world and gets played on commercial radio and all that stuff and while he is getting what he wanted and what the record company wanted, you could probably forgive me if I'll find someone else to listen to....

So are you saying you don't like the music that was on Diamonds on the inside? Or you don't like that it could have been written to make money?

Alex28 said:
it happens time and time again...and to be honest if i was an artist selling bugger all and my label was telling me to write a certain style to make both them and me rich, i dont know what i would do. however you have to expect that fans will not necessarily like it when it happens. Alex Lloyd, Ben Lee, Grinspoon, Missy Higgins - are all doing it right now in order to sell units rather than writing music for art sake..

See on Missy Higgins, if you were actually watching the Aria's, the songs she sings, which she wrote, are all very personal and one was actually about something she'd done. Just because the style that she has written them in fits more with main stream music and is not some other style that hardly anybody likes in camparison doesn't instantly mean she is a sell out or there is no meaning behinjd the songs ect, and no i'm not a Missy Higgins fan.

Same with any of those you listed. Ben Lee's album was on his own record label if memory serves me correctly, so one couldn't say his hand was forced, he wrote the music he wanted to.

Alex28 said:
and then it depends what you want out of music. there are people who listen to music - who are happy with a catchy tune and not much more. if thats what they like, then more power to them..

See you are basically thinking that because artists choose a certain style that fits into mainstream music there is suddenly nothing behind the music. You are assuming you know why artists write the way they do without actually knowing. Maybe they like that style, alot of people like mainstream ( commercial ) type music so why is it so hard to believe that alot of people might actually enjoy making it?

Alex28 said:
but there are people who love music and everything about it - they want more than a catchy tune and a commercially appealing image and marketing campaign. the problem in this post is that the two are clashing and what some see as arrogant, is more like being passionate about the industry..

So you listen to all music that has meaning no matter what genre it is and not just stuff you enjoy listening to?

Alex28 said:
if you see me as arrogant - so be it. i don't particularly care. however if you want to debate how good all these artists are who once wrote good music that commercial radio wouldn't touch before, and are now media darlings who have sold their soul for fame and money, then expect a debate and that not everyone is going to agree with you.

They still write good music, just not in the style that you like, so you call them seel outs.

carcharias

Immortal
They still write good music, just not in the style that you like, so you call them seel outs.

funny hey?

would Alex consider Radiohead sell outs?

After all they did use the oldest trick in the book.

Creep had the word "f**king" in it, thats a sure fire way to get millions of teenagers to buy it.

I will say that without the word f**k in Creep that the song wouldn't have done as well and maybe they wouldn't have made it as far as they have.
That was the first Radiohead song triple J played that I can recall.

I love Radiohead by the way .

HevyDevy

Coach
Yeah I've got to say Creep caught my attention with that.

For the most part though I agree with Alex 28 - I remember when Cradle of Filth (who I'm not a huge fan of but have three of their albums I think) signed with Sony and a number of their 'fans' turned on them for doing so. Why? It's not like they were ever going to be commercial. Sony simply saw a band that was doing quite well in the metal scene and signed them.

Metallica on the other hand ... well I didn't stop listening to them because they sold out, more because they somehow managed to become sh*t overnight. It's a shame - in hindsight the first signs appeared on the Black album and it all went downhill from there. Still a great album but the first signs they were abandoning their thrash roots. Never thought they'd become country rock though! Tragic.

So in summary there's nothing wrong with a band chasing success, but it is a worry when they change what they do in order to find it.

Latest posts