What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2005 NRL TEAMS AND PREDICTIONS

wittyfan

Referee
Greenblooded said:
Actually I have no idea how the warriors will go next year, with an attitude adjustment they could do anything.

Nah, they won't magically improve. Once you tumble into the abyss, it's very hard to get back out quickly. Still, I doubt they will go as bad as 2004. Around 11th or 12th is about where they will finish.

Greenblooded

Juniors
Obviously have to agree to disagree on this one, I think the warriors have bought well for 05 and could go real well.

Special K

Coach
The Warriors have bought well but one must wonder if two old blokes(one who spent weeks on the bench this year for his high shots and the other who has had a major injury) can fire up a bunch of guys who have awesome talent but no confidence.

The Warriors could be a top 6 or bottom 3 we won't be able to judge them till we see them on the park. I tend to think they will miss the 8 and finish around 10th. Wiki and Price can't control what hot heads like Toopi, Meli, Webb etc . After next season if they buy well or have some good blokes come up, then again they could be up there in the top few teams again.

Cronulla is another side who puzzle me. 2 points off the 8 when they spent most of the season without their first pick 1, 6 and 7. Now with another play maker and if Kimmorley can stay fit they should make it across into the 8.

Jared27

Juniors
The Warriors will definitley make the top 8!
With their new coaching staff and new signings, along with the younger guys maturing, they will be one of the teams to beat.

Our forward pack will be our main strength, wiki, paleasina, price, villasanti, koopu, te mata, all lining up for a hit up and keeping us steady on defence.

And when the forwards get "go forward" our backs can do anything.

Personally, I think they can make top 4 at the end of the regular season.

CULLUS.ONLINE

Juniors
I'll correct you on a few things

Tigers have lost 960games of experience from players. This may seem high, however compare it to any other team (these taken from the losses indicated above so numbers MAY BE HIGHER!!!!)

Raiders: 659+
Bulldogs: 451+
Rosters: 520+
Panthers: 574+
Storm: 695+
Newcastle: 777+

So whilst the tigers may have lost a few more years than other teams, i think the dramatic quotes of "YEARS OF EXPERIENCE LOST" are over-exadurated. Yes, 1000 games have been lost, but other clubs have lost nearly that amont aswell!

Raider_69

Post Whore
Greenblooded said:
Actually by going off your figures no other team has lost nearly the same amount.

i was thinking the same
im a tad surprised we arnt higher
we lost Wiki, Davico and McLinden, 2 have been there 10 odd years and mclinden has been around a good 6 years

CULLUS.ONLINE

Juniors
Hey i never said that anyone was higher. 960 is bigger than 700, i admit that :lol:

All i am pointing out is that people are bringing up the argument that 1000 games of experience being lost is HUGE, but it seems as if 650 is the average loss, so it isnt as BAD as it seems

thats all

Greenblooded

Juniors
Fair point, I don't think it will be a big factor for the Tigers anyway, they have plenty of experience across the park

Darth Bobo

How can anyone predict who will win in 2005 after Penrith going from wooden spoon to Premiers in 1 season with no major signings.

Based on that, honestly, who can predict what is going to happen in 05 before kick off?

I don't know what to make of the Warriors, it wasnt that long ago that they were easy beats. Then they have a new coach, new attitude, better results......and then there was 04. WTF?!?

antonius

Coach
The Knights have done well in the market with a few players you’ve missed in your assessment. Dustin Cooper will press for a starting Centre/Wing spot.
Jesse Royal Big forward signed from Penrith who really looks the goods in pre season training and will push “Lard Arse Perry” into action to keep his First grade spot.
Dane Campbell From Brisbane Easts, handy backup for johns at Half, and may push Kurt Gidley for the starting 5/8th spot, very smart quick thinking half.
Kade Snowden If you think Anthony Tupou was a top Knights junior wait till you see this guy go round. We’ve been watching him in the junior sides at Newcastle for a couple of years now and I can tell you he’s the best junior prospect to come from Newcastle since Andrew Johns.
Brad Tighe Another junior about to take the step up, the Knights tied him up to a senior contract last year when some of the bigger Sydney clubs came sniffing around, big mobile centre, Matt Gidley and Carmont will have to watch their backs with him and Cooper in the wings.
Daniel Spiteri Speed to burn this guy, only been playing the game for two years, and at the rate he’s progressed will push for a place in the backs next season.
There are several others who made first grade last year due to our horror injury run who will be all the better for that experience next year, players like Riley Brown, Dane Tilse,and Blake Mueller
There are a couple of other promising juniors in premier league next year Matt White, Trent Salkeld being two that may push also. But the original statement re Johns fitness unfortunately for us sums it up, unless this Dane Campbell can do a Leo Denevor (1997) a serious Johns injury will bring us undone again. Saying that if he stays fit all year we'll be very hard to beat.

innsaneink

Referee
CULLUS.ONLINE said:
I'll correct you on a few things

Tigers have lost 960games of experience from players. This may seem high, however compare it to any other team (these taken from the losses indicated above so numbers MAY BE HIGHER!!!!)

Raiders: 659+
Bulldogs: 451+
Rosters: 520+
Panthers: 574+
Storm: 695+
Newcastle: 777+

So whilst the tigers may have lost a few more years than other teams, i think the dramatic quotes of "YEARS OF EXPERIENCE LOST" are over-exadurated. Yes, 1000 games have been lost, but other clubs have lost nearly that amont aswell!

Anyway, with Skando, O'Neill and Hodgson there is 28 seasons experience just there alone, so its not like there wont be calm old heads not there when theyre needed.

Dakink

Bench
Cronulla will challenge Souths for the Wooden spoon

Think I might go down to the local TAB and put a bet on that one cause I cant see either getting any higher than last!

Kris_man

Bench
that's a bloody good post AzzA84 :clap:

i agree with a lot of it, but not all of it:

i think it's pretty harsh putting the Storm in at 9th - Rodney Howe was not a key forward of theirs in 2004, and neither was Danny Williams really. they'll also have the very talented Peter Robinson back on deck, as well as a young guy called Jeremy Smith who had a great game against the Raiders in '04. the Storm will be pushing for a top 4 position.

the Panthers will slide. not much, but they will slide, paticularly now that a lot of their players will be up for rep duties come State of Origin, and their depth, especially in the backs, is worrying. i'd have them in the bottom 4 of the top 8.

you have the Knights at 10th, because an injury to Joey will kill them. they'll go great with him, but poor without him. it seems like you've gone for a compromise by putting them in at 10th, but i reckon we should be judging on what happens assuming there's no injuries. and if Joey's fit, they will be a top side. then again, he doesn't have as much talent to work with as he once did.

i think Parramatta will struggle due to a poor set of halves, even though their forward pack will be the among the best, if not the best, in the NRL. fighting for a top 8 spot i reckon.

i agree about the Tigers - they'll struggle to avoid the spoon. loss of experience will hurt them, plus i think they rely on Brett Hodgson too much for sparks in attack. I don't rate any of their other outside backs to a large degree.

the Roosters are going to have a hard time adjusting to life without Freddy, who probably made a number of mediocre players look much better than they really were. still, they have a lot of good players, and they'll be up there somewhere. similarly, i think the Broncos will have a tough time without Gordie.

here's my prediction:

1. Bulldogs
2. Dragons
3. Knights
4. Storm
5. Broncos
6. Roosters
7. Cowboys
8. Panthers
9. Sea Eagles
10. Raiders
11. Eels
12. Sharks
13. Warriors
14. Souths
15. Tigers

i reckon there's the fight for a top 4 position will go right down to the wire. there are a lot of teams who are equally good up there, none apart from the Bulldogs really standing out IMO. there might be as little as 4 points separating a top 4 side from a non-finals side.

Most improved side will be Manly.

Kris_man

Bench
Driver said:
Cronulla will challenge Souths for the Wooden spoon :clap:

with Kimmorley at the helm, Stevens up front and Sullivan's magic from dummy half? not a chance. they could do with a quality backrower, though. still the gap between the top teams and the bottom teams will be even smaller than it was in 2004, so a team could have a good year and still finish 13th or 14th.

Phillips

Referee
Kris_man said:
Driver said:
Cronulla will challenge Souths for the Wooden spoon :clap:

with Kimmorley at the helm, Stevens up front and Sullivan's magic from dummy half? not a chance. they could do with a quality backrower, though. still the gap between the top teams and the bottom teams will be even smaller than it was in 2004, so a team could have a good year and still finish 13th or 14th.

Kimmorley :lol:

Stevens :lol:

Dykes will add to there problems...possibly the worst side going into 2005