What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2005 NRL TEAMS AND PREDICTIONS

AzzA84

Juniors
Hey Guys i have had a lot of time on my hands and thought i would see how and what i thought of the teams in 2005. So here are my 2005 teams and predictions, tell me your opinions and thoughts cheers AzzA.

2005 Team Line-ups and where they will finish.

1st Bulldogs

o Strengths – The Bulldogs still have a top squad, that has won a grand final. The Bulldogs have Rep players all over the park, with their forward pack being big and mobile, and their backs among some of the best in the league they look in good stead still in 2005. The Bulldog bench is still again one of the best in the league and with a great coach in Steven Folkes it’s hard to look past the Bulldogs again in 2005.

o Weaknesses – The loss of their inspirational leader Steve Price will be felt on and off the field, as will the losses of hard workers in Dennis Scott, Jamie Feeney and Johnathan Thurston, who all filled in very well when they were needed in 2004.

2005 Team – Coach Steven Folkes

1. Luke Patten
2. Hazem El Masri
3. Jamaal Lolesi
4. Willie Tonga
5. Matt Utai
6. Braith Anasta
7. Brent Sherwin
8. Mark O'Meley
9. Adam Perry
10. Willie Mason
11. Sonny Bill Williams
12. Andrew Ryan (c)
13. Tony Grimaldi

14. Roy Asotasi
15. Reni Maitua
16. Corey Hughes
17. Chris Armit

18. Ben Czislowski

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2nd Roosters

o Strengths – Have a strong roster with plenty of talented juniors waiting in the wings for there chance. The Roosters have a lot of big match experience and big match experience players, which includes Grand Finals, Origin’s and International matches. With there extensive coaching staff the Roosters all in all will again be a force in 2005.

o Weaknesses – The loss of there leader Brad Fitler will be a huge loss as they could always look to him when they needed something special, Brett Firman will need to step up massively if he is going to fill Freddy’s shoes. The Roosters also seem to struggle somewhat when they get into big matches even though they do have a lot of big match experience, most noted the last two Grand Finals against the Panthers and Bulldogs.

2005 Team – Coach Ricky Stuart

1. Anthony Minichello
2. Chris Walker
3. Ryan Cross
4. Joel Monaghan
5. Amos Roberts
6. Brett Firman
7. Brett Finch
8. Adrian Morley
9. Craig Wing
10. Jason Cayless
11. Michael Crocker
12. Craig Fitzgibbon
13. Luke Ricketson (c)

14. Chris Flannery
15. Anthony Tupou
16. Richard Fa’aoso
17. Ned Catic

18. Gavin Lester

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3rd Panthers

o Strengths – Again have a good looking squad, even with the loss of some key experience, the Panthers will again succeed in 2005, as they have a never say die attitude, good juniors and can score tries from anywhere on the park.

o Weaknesses – The loss of some key players in Ryan Girdler, Amos Roberts, Paul Whatuira, Martin Lang and Richard Fa’aoso may test there depth, especially if they get a few injuries. Their defence is also a problem at times.

2005 Team – Coach John Lang

1. Rhys Wesser
2. Trent Clayton
3. Paul Franze
4. Luke Lewis
5. Luke Rooney
6. Preston Campbell
7. Craig Gower (c)
8. Ben Ross
9. Luke Priddis
10. Joel Clinton
11. Joe Galuvao
12. Tony Puletua
13. Trent Waterhouse

14. Danny Galea
15. Frank Prichard
16. Luke Swain
17. Shane Rodney

18. Frank Puletua

4th Broncos

o Strengths – The Broncos are probably always going to be up there and be able to compete, they always have a strong line up, with talented juniors who they can call upon if injury or origin duties came along, will once again be in the top 4 in 2005.

o Weaknesses – The loss of Gordon Tallis will be felt hard I feel, as he was an awesome player and leader whether you liked him or not. Origin time and post Origin time will again probably hurt the Broncos as it does every year, it just depends if they can lift again in 2005 at finals time, if not they will depart early like in 2004.

2005 Team – Coach Wayne Bennett

1. Karmichael Hunt
2. Gary Tupou
3. Shaun Berrigan
4. Brent Tate
5. Justin Hodges
6. Darren Lockyer (c)
7. Brett Seymour
8. Shane Webcke
9. Barry Berrigan
10. Petero Civoniceva
11. Brad Thorn
12. Dane Carlaw
13. Tonie Caroll

14. Neville Costigan
15. David Stagg
16. Corey Parker
17. Casey McGuire

18. Stuart Kelly

5th Cowboys

o Strengths – The Cowboys have bought well in 2005 adding Johnathan Thurston, Carl Webb and Justin Smith plus a hand full of talented juniors. The Cowboys would have learned a lot from 2004 and are set for another top year under a very good coach in Graham Murray.

o Weaknesses – The thing that might hurt the Cowboys the most is weight of expectation, there supporters and nearly everyone will be expecting big things from them, which they are now expected to delivery.

2005 Team – Coach Graham Murray

1. Matt Bowen
2. Matt Sing
3. Josh Hannay
4. Paul Bowman
5. Ty Williams
6. David Myles
7. Chris Sheppard
8. Paul Rauhihi
9. Aaron Payne
10. Shane Tronc
11. Luke O'Donnell
12. Steve Southern
13. Travis Norton (c)

14. Carl Webb
15. Justin Smith
16. Leigh McWilliams
17. Jonathan Thurston

18. Rod Jensen

6th Dragons

o Strengths – The Dragons are as good a team as any on there day and have a roster which can match any team, with Rep Players all over the park, and a lot of talented juniors the Dragons could do anything and beat anyone on there day.

o Weaknesses – Poor attitude and lack of grit are the Dragons biggest downfall, at times they have poor discipline, letting games they are expected to win slip away far to often. The Dragons are their worst enemy at times.

2005 Team – Coach Nathan Brown

1. Ben Hornby
2. Colin Best
3. Mark Gasnier
4. Matt Cooper
5. Reece Simmonds
6. Trent Barrett (c)
7. Mathew Head
8. Luke Bailey
9. Michael Ennis
10. Jason Ryles
11. Dean Young
12. Lance Thomspon
13. Shaun Timmins

14. Willie Manu
15. Ashton Sims
16. Justin Poore
17. Ben Creagh

18. Albert Torrens

7th Warriors

o Strengths – The Warriors have bought the best out of any NRL team in 2005, adding Steven Price, Rubin Wiki, Nathan Fien, Todd Byrne and Matt Rua to there ranks. With these new personnel they have gained a lot of talent and experience which was lacking last year. These new blokes will also help their younger blokes tremendously as it did in 2001 when they made the Grand Final. All in all the Warriors should be back to there 2001-02 form.

o Weaknesses – The biggest weakness for the Warriors in 2005 will be to see how well the Warriors gel together as a team, as a big turnover in players can always take its time before it all comes altogether.

2005 Team – Coach Tony Kemp

1. Brent Webb
2. Francis Meli
3. Clinton Toopi
4. Vinnie Anderson
5. Todd Byrne
6. Nathan Fien
7. Stacey Jones
8. Steve Price (c)
9. Louis Anderson
10. Richard Villasanti
11. Ruben Wiki
12. Awen Guttenbeil
13. Monty Betham

14. Iafeta Palea’asina
15. Wairangi Koopu
16. Sione Faumunia
17. Matt Rua

18. Karl Temata

8th Eels

o Strengths – Like the Warriors, the Eels have bought very well, adding Mark Riddell, Chad Robinson, Paul Stringer, Timana Tahu and Glenn Morrison being their main buys. With Players of this calibre the Eels should be set for good things, and will be expected to make the 8 by there supporters and many people, if they miss the 8 this year something is definitely wrong.

o Weaknesses – Have got plenty of options for the Halfback position, but it could be a position that keeps changing due to injury/form etc and if this is the case, this could really hurt the Eels.

2005 Team – Coach Brian Smith

1. Wade McKinnon
2. Eric Grothe
3. Luke Burt
4. Timana Tahu
5. Matt Petersen
6. John Morris
7. PJ Marsh
8. Michael Vella
9. Mark Riddell
10. Nathan Cayless (c)
11. Nathan Hindmarsh
12. Glen Morrison
13. Daniel Wagon

14. Tim Smith
15. Paul Stringer
16. Chad Robinson
17. Aaron Cannings

18. Dean Widders

9th Storm

o Strengths – The Storm’s Number 1,6,7 and 9 are the keys for Melbourne as these are there star players in Billy Slater, Scott Hill, Matt Orford and Cameron Smith as long as these guys stay injury free the Storm should be in for another successful season under smart coach Craig Bellamy.

o Weaknesses – Have lost most of their forward pack from 2004 in Rodney Howe, Stephen Kearney, Danny Williams and Kirk Reynoldson, these blokes are going to be hard to replace. The Storm have done a good job in picking up Dennis Scott, Jamie Feeney, Ian Donnolly, and Jamie McDonald, but I still feel if the Storm get injuries in the forwards they may really struggle to replace them.

2005 Team – Coach Craig Bellamy

1. Bill Slater
2. Matt Geyer
3. Steven Bell
4. Matt King
5. Steve Turner
6. Scott Hill
7. Matt Orford
8. Alex Chan
9. Cameron Smith
10. Robbie Kearns (c)
11. Jamie Feeney
12. David Kidwell
13. Dallas Johnson

14. Ryan Hoffman
15. Ian Donnelly
16. Dennis Scott
17. Peter Robinson

18. Antonio Kaufusi

10th Knights

o Strengths – Star players in Andrew Johns and Danny Buderus. These two player alone could take the Knights to victory against anyone. The Knights still have a talented lineup with good juniors waiting for their opportunity.

o Weaknesses – The Knights are a very injury prone team, and if they lose Joey again I can see them missing the 8 again. In years past the Knight had a lot more depth but are lacking it more so as times goes on, with the losses of Timaha Taha, Ben Kennedy, Robbie O’Davis, Matt Parson, Russell Richardson and Michael Ennis. If injuries are not kind to the Knights they’re in for another long season.

2005 Team – Coach Michael Hagan

1. David Siege
2. Craig Hall
3. Matt Gidley
4. Mark Hughes
5. Anthony Quinn
6. Kurt Gidley
7. Andrew Johns (c)
8. Josh Perry
9. Danny Buderus
10. Adam Woolnough
11. Daniel Abraham
12. Steve Simpson
13. Kirk Reynoldson

14. Matt Kennedy
15. Andrew Price
16. Clint Newton
17. George Carmont

18. Reegan Tanner

11th Raiders

o Strengths – The Raiders have bought some key experience in Jason Smith and Matt Adamson, and have also picked up some talented youngsters for the 2005 season in Craig Frawley and Lincoln Withers, which should see them have a solid season. Todd Carney will be the key for the Raiders in 2005, if he and Jason Smith can form a good combination the Raiders could see themselves really pushing for the 8.

o Weaknesses – Have lost some key experience and talent in Ruben Wiki, Luke Davico, Mark Mclinden and Joel Monaghan, hopefully these losses wont hurt to badly and that there new buys can take off where these guys left off. The Halves combination the Raiders choose is going to be critical, as this is the area that they lacked the most in, in 2004.

2004 Team – Coach Matthew Elliot

1. Clinton Schifcofske
2. Phil Graham
3. Adam Mogg
4. Craig Frawley
5. Marshall Chalk
6. Jason Smith
7. Todd Carney
8. Michael Weymen
9. Simon Woolford (c)
10. Ryan O'Hara
11. Ian Hindmarsh
12. Matt Adamson
13. Jason Croker

14. Lincoln Withers
15. Ben Cross
16. Nathan Smith
17. Terry Martin

18. Tyran Smith

12th Sharks

o Strengths – Have picked up some smart buys in Adam Dykes, Paul Mellor, Hutch Maiava and Luke Covell. The thing the Sharks will again be relying mostly on is Brett Kimmorley, and how well him and Adam Dykes form a combination, if they get it right they could be one of the most lethal combination in 2005. Between Kimmorley, Dykes and Sullivan the Sharks could be in with a real shot in 2005.

o Weaknesses – The most troubling thing I can see about the Sharks is their forward size and depth. I might be proved wrong but it does seem they’re going to be outsized by the bigger packs like the Warriors, Broncos and Bulldogs. My other biggest concern is, Nigel Vagana doesn’t see enough ball, and in 2005 they need to give him the ball a lot more and let him create some magic.

2004 Team – Coach Stuart Raper

1. David Peachey
2. Nathan Merritt
3. Ryan McGoldrick
4. Nigel Vagana
5. Paul Mellor
6. Adam Dykes
7. Brett Kimmorley (c)
8. Danny Nutley
9. Matt Hilder
10. Jason Stevens
11. Phil Bailey
12. Paul Gallen
13. Greg Bird

14. Hutch Maiava
15. Michael Sullivan
16. Andrew Lomu
17. Keith Galloway

18. Sam Isomonger

13th Sea Eagles

o Strengths – Have bought well in 2005, securing the services of Terry Hill, Michael Witt, Brent Kite, and Ben Kennedy. The Eagles look very good in the forwards in 2005 with plenty of depth and talent. Their forwards should really be going forward and making a lot of metres in 2005, giving the halves in Witt and Monaghan a lot of room to create something. Manly could do anything in 2005.

o Weaknesses – Keeping there players on the field could be a problem for Eagles in 2005, Terry Hill and Ben Kennedy in particular will need to have big seasons for the Eagles to really make there mark on the 2005 season.

2005 Team – Coach Des Hasler

1. Brett Stewart
2. Scott Donald
3. Chris Hicks
4. Terry Hill
5. John Hopoate
6. Michael Witt
7. Michael Monaghan (c)
8. Brent Kite
9. Chad Randall
10. Jason King
11. Ben Kennedy
12. Luke Williamson
13. Steve Menzies

14. Daniel Heckenberg
15. Kylie Leuluai
16. Sam Harris
17. Anthony Watmough

18. Shane Dunley

14th Tigers

o Strengths – Have bought some handy players in Paul Whatuira, Matt Jobson, Matt Rieck and Mark Meridith among a stack of juniors and converted union players. The Tigers in 2005, are going to be looking for Benji Marshall and Scott Prince to really steer them around the park, if they can both stay injury free the Tigers could really surprise a few teams in 2005.

o Weaknesses – Have lost a heap of experience in Jason Moodie, Darren Senter, Scott Sattler, Michael Buettner and Robert Mears, between the five of them they have played over 1000 games between them and that is a massive loss, unless there new buys and juniors can step up then the Tigers could be in for a very long season.

2005 Team – Coach Tim Sheens

1. Brett Hodgson
2. Matt Rieck
3. Shane Elford
4. Paul Whatuira
5. Pat Richards
6. Benji Marshall
7. Scott Prince
8. John Skandalis
9. Ben Galea
10. Todd Payten
11. Mark O'Neill (c)
12. Anthony Laffranchi
13. Dean Halatau

14. Bronson Harrison
15. Matt Jobson
16. Daniel Fitzhenry
17. Bryce Gibbs

18. Robert Miles

15th Rabbitohs

o Strengths – A new coaching staff and new board will give Souths a real lift in 2005. With Shane Richardson and Shaun McRae at the helm look for the Rabbitohs to improve in 2005, with some smart buys in Shannon Hegarty, Peter Cusack, Scott Logan and Willie Peters they look pretty ok on paper, injury will play a major part in the Rabbitohs season, if most of their players stay on the field they will be ok, if not there in trouble like in 2004.

o Weaknesses – Injuries, Injuries and Injuries, last year Injuries plagued the Rabbitohs. Depth also seems to be a problem, even though they do have good juniors, they just seem to lack the experience of 1st grade. I don’t know what to expect of the Rabbitohs but I just have feeling it is going to be another long year, hopefully I’m wrong.

2005 Team – Coach Shaun McRae

1. Todd Polglase
2. Shane Marteene
3. Adam MacDougall
4. Shannon Hegarty
5. Luke MacDougall
6. Willie Peters
7. Joe Williams
8. Scott Geddes
9. Shane Walker
10. Peter Cusack
11. Bryan Fletcher (c)
12. Mark Minichello
13. Ashley Harrison

14. Scott Logan
15. Luke Stuart
16. Glenn Hall
17. Shane Rigon

18. Brett Kearney

innsaneink

Referee
Yeah a very well balanced and I think unbiased post (to an extent) ;-)
Good points all round and hard to argue about the comments on Wests either, though I think we still have enough experince there spread across the park in Skando, O'Neill , Hodgson & Fats to counter that experience what we lost.

choc_soldier

Coach
Can't argue with the Panthers assessment either, but you have a bit more faith than me it seems... :lol:

Job well done! :thumnn

Greenblooded

Juniors
Good effort mate, I don't want to be pedantic but you have Andrew Walker instead of Chris Walker listed for the Roosters. I must have missed the announcement of Rua signing for the warriors, he'll go well if he can emulate the form he showed with the Storm.

ozzie

Bench
You didn't mention these weakness of Canterbury - there is going to be a lot of rep players and it has been a faiir while since back to back g/f winners...Injuries and rep duties will take a toll on a one dimensional side like Canterbury, The Jersey Flegg and Premier League backups don't look as strong as othe clubs

AzzA84

Juniors
Thanks for that Greenblooded, its changed now to Chris Walker.

Ozzie, i agree with you i think the dogs will do it tough if injuries do strike, and also think it will be hard to go back to back, but i do think it is possible. Espically seeing as i am a bulldogs supporter!!! hehehe cheers.

Cammo

Bench
Rep honours next season will hit The Dogs hard like it did Penrith in their premiership defence. The Panthers still had a good year though and finished 1 game from the Grand Final.

As long as the rep guys don't get injured then The Dogs should make it 2 in a row, but a season is a long time and as ozzie says the depth of the past few years is not there and could deroll our hopes for back to back comps.

Iafeta

Referee
There's been no official statement regarding Matt Rua signing at the Warriors, and its been 3 weeks/a month since the rumour began.

wittyfan

Referee
I doubt the Warriors will trouble the final eight. Cronulla and Manly should finish higher than that.

Iafeta

Referee
sullyfan said:
I doubt the Warriors will trouble the final eight. Cronulla and Manly should finish higher than that.

:lol: at the Sharks. I'd say the Sharks are overrated at 12th, thats two spots too high. One below them should be Canberra.

Greenblooded

Juniors
Iafeta said:
sullyfan said:

:lol: at the Sharks. I'd say the Sharks are overrated at 12th, thats two spots too high. One below them should be Canberra.

Ouch!!

Actually I have no idea how the warriors will go next year, with an attitude adjustment they could do anything.