What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2005 Predicitions

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
Its a sad season for the Warriors in 2004. So im already looking towards 2005!! :D. Ill jus predict what will happen next year, yous can predict too :p

ST George: I think with some of their losses (Riddell, Kite, Blacklock, Firman and the Howells) that they wont be as much of a threat, still could look dangerous with Head getting more experience, Will be interested how Ennis from the knights get along here. My prediction, still a threat to make the 8 but will slide down the ladder a few places.

Brisbane Broncos: Another team likely to make the 8 even with a few major blows (Frawley, DeVere and Webb). With the likes of Justin Hodges coming to the side, i dont think the damage will be too bad. I think if Tallis does retire and Brisbane dont sign Carroll, they could slide. Still expecting another named signing or so before end of the season. Ill predict they stay the same , maybe slide a position or so.

Canberra Raiders: I think this team will stay the same or slide a position, some big losses affecting (Davico, Wiki, Drew, Monaghan) yet the raiders have named a few good signings (Frawley, Justin Smith and the Howells). My prediction is they'll have a late scramble to make the 8 just missing out.

Bulldogs: A near certain to make the 8. Though, this team has also had a few losses (Price, Thuston, Scott, Glen Hughes and Hutch Mavaia). They have gained the Armits. Will slide a couple of positions, but undoubtibly will make the 8.

Sharks: I could see improving. The likes of Dykes, Mellor, Luke Covell, a maturing Mellars and Hutch Maivia will stregethn the side. Sharks havnt lost too much in Beattie but have lost a bit in Reick. Alot is in the air depending on where Bickerstaff goes too. I see Sharks improving.

Manly: Another side that will improve, certainly. Ben Kennedy and Brent Kite bring in experiences which Manly have been missing. Manly havnt lost too much, really only Albert Torrens. This side will improve, could be in the hunt for the top 8.

Melbourne: This team i think will struggle to make the 8. Kearney, Reynoldsen, McFadden and Howe all exiting the club. On the good side is Feeney and Scott (bulldogs) are both coming into the side. Still, the losses dont add up to the gains, Melbourne will have to take a season on the chin.

NZ Warriors: A definate improving side (hard to get any worse!). They have lost some valuable players like Marsh (whom didnt play this season), Lautititi (whom didnt play majority of this season), Seuseu (whom was suspended alot of season) an various other players who really didnt have an effect on the warriors. I personally think the warriors will only miss Henry Faafili. The gains for the warriors are veterans Price and Wiki, also an on from Fein. Warriors to definite improve.

Knights: This team will also improve, if you look at their losses (Parsons, Kennedy, Tahu and Ennis) they have lost alot of talent. But then you look at their only really experienced gain in Reynoldson. BUT returning Andrew Johns will definately turn the side around.

Cowboys: Im not sure what to make of this side. Loosing alot of talent (Fein, Campion, Morrison & McDonald). Have also gained ALOT of talent ( Thurston, Smith and Carl Webb). I think Cowboys will stay where they are. If Webb continues his form, maybe improve positioning.

Eels: Another side to look out for, with an awesome amount of talent has been signed (Morrison, Chad Robinson, Timana Tahu, Paul Stringer and Mark Riddell). May also get PJ Marsh. A team to look outfor in 2005.

Panthers: Will drop, undoubtibly. Havnt bought anyone expereinced. Loosing ALOT of talent (Lang, Girdler, Whatuira,Roberts). Could make the 8, probably will, but a challenge to make the 4.

Souths: The last team for the race for the spoon this year, but another potential threat if injuries and all go their way. They have picked up Hegarty and Cusack, and are rumoured to get Lopina Laea (Roosters) , Lelea Paea (Roosters), Aaron Mercer (Roosters), Gavin Lester (Roosters) as well as PJ Marsh. If things go their way, this team could quite easily get their way, hoping Joe williams is on form as well. And also in the runnings to get PJ Marsh

Roosters: A HUGE chance of winning the premiership next year. Will most certainly make the 8, if not the 4. A big of a shuffle for next year with some losses (Hegarty, Cusack, Fitler, Robsinson, Hodges,Steve Crouch) and many players remaining off contract or rumoured losses. Though, another succesful season for the roosters accountants as they pick up Firman, Roberts and J Monoghan

Wests: A team with likes of Marshall to return from injury is a plus. Gains of Whatiuira and Jobson. Rumoured to get a few players, Lyon, Stapleton, Youngquest being the 3 which are the bigger named. Quite alot of experience losses in Moodie, Sattler, Grahem and Darren Senter. Other main loss is Luke Covell. Not sure how this team will do next year.

Those are my predictions, lets see yours.

JoeysWheelchair

Juniors
Wests should continue to improve next year

Roosters will go well, how can they not with their line up? Likewise with the broncos and bulldogs. Both of them losing a few players, but they will still be a force.

Cowboys will be the team to watch. Josh Hannay is becoming a real danger, and a possible leader down the track. Matty Bowen is capable of tearing any team apart, Matty Sing is a true champion, Shane Tronc is an awesome front row prospect, as is carl webb. Picking up Thurston will fill the gap of Fien.

Glenn Morrison has missed most of this season, so they have learnt to play without him, hence it will not be as big of a loss as first expected.

This is what the cowboys could look like:

1. Bowen
2. Ty Williams
3. Hannay
4. Bowman
5. Sing
6. Shepherd
7. Thurston
8. Rauhihi
9. Payne/McWilliams
10. Tronc (watch for him to be an origin prospect next year)
11. Carl Webb
12. Luke O'Donnell/Smith
13. Travis Norton

good looking team to me

I think dragons could surprise, they have been affected by injury time and time again, so they have a lot of guys with first grade experience now who can step up.

Manly will definitely improve, they are making good steps towards that already.

My tip for the spoon next year: Knights or Sharks

Once Johns gets his 500k and plays about 5 games (100k per game), the Knights will fall to pieces, like they have this season. They have battled injuries, but I don't think they can play much better then this season.

Sharks, struggling this year, they have beaten some top teams but they haven't turned up to play.

Raider_69

Post Whore
canberra will go better i think
purely because we have a bloke who has a 5th tackle option

Raider_69

Post Whore
indeed it is, this season we have had no troubles getting in the opposing danger zone but lack options, creativity and composure at the back end of sets, this is where Jason Smith will work wonders with us

finally we will have some structure in attack

Johns Magic

Referee
Todd Carney should be given a better go for you guys. He's a special talent. Him and Smith in the halves will be great, with Carney learning from the experienced veteran.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Johns Magic said:
Todd Carney should be given a better go for you guys. He's a special talent. Him and Smith in the halves will be great, with Carney learning from the experienced veteran.

some get this man Matt Elliots number
he might listen to someone outside of canberra fans :roll:

Iafeta

Referee
I have a feeling the Cowboys might do a Warriors in 2005 and reach the Grand Final. Webb, Tronc, Rauhihi - sizzling. And then Norton playing a role out the back along with Shepherd and Thurston. And I haven't even touched on the outside backs, Sing, Williams, Bowman, Bowen, Hanny and a whole crop of good fringe players. Ouch!

Eels, Cowboys to improve - the Warriors unfortunately to be fringe top 8 side at best given their poor tactics and lack of heart. Ruben and Steve ain't going to save us, its a 17 man game.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Im a Roosters fan an am very sceptical as to how we'll go next year without Freddy. He's a freakish attacking player but the scary thing is i think we could lose more without his awesome leadership and defense. My heart says we can still win the comp, but my head says we cant. ALOT, and i mean ALOOTTTTTTT will depend on how Firman goes. He needs to stay injury free and go just as good possible better than he did with the Dragons last year.

ngunity

Juniors
Tigers and Cowboys the bolters for next year, Parra specials to suck balls again under Smith's bumbling.

My predictions for 2005 specifically relate to the Bulldogs:

*Dogs will make the 8, probably the top 4 but it won't be a cakewalk

* Dogs forward pack will be watered down with the Loss of Price and the lessers: Scott, Feeney, and Maiava.
An injury to O'Meley would effectively give the Dogs one of the weaker front rows in the games.
Mason and Ryan will have to continue to play out of their skin and Roy
Asotasi will have to make the step up to starting and churning out metres

* Sonny Bill and Willy Tonga will lose a shade of gloss, but remain forceful

* Braith will continue to grow as a 5/8, and with Shifty will be the BEST halves combination in League

Eels Dude

Coach
I'll say that the Roosters, Brisbane, and Bulldogs will be right up there again. I reckon Dragons may have an injury free year for once, also maintain some consistency and finish in the top 3.

Cowboys to maintain their form from this year and make the top 8 easily, finishing around 4th or 5th. Newcastle should improve once Joey gets back on the field, he's getting on in years though, and the loss of a few other crucial players means I see them just scraping into the 8.

Penrith will struggle next year a bit, they'll still be a good enough side to beat anyone on their day though. I see them finishing 6th - 8th. I think Wests will continue to improve, whether they'll make the finals though is another question. I'd say they'd be competing with Parramatta and Cronulla for the remaining spot in the 8.

Parra should improve, though there are still too many weaknesses for them to be a competion heavyweight, 7th through 9th. Cronulla could surprise, but they could dissapoint just as much. I think they'll be patchy though and inconsistency will cost em in the end.

An improved season for the Bunnies is on the ball, new recruits should do well, and also with Shane Richardson and Shaun Macrae at the helm I'd have them finishing around 11th, with a finals spot up for grabs in 2006. Melbourne may be one side that may slide, they are losing a lot of experienced players and even though they've still got a lot of talent their loss in the forwards has me uneasy.

Bringing up the rear will be the Raiders, their recruiting has been a little off. Shouldn't be too long till they're going great again, just a one-off poor season next year. Warriors may have got Price and Wiki but that's not enough to change anything. It's attitude that needs improve and I can't see that happening just out of the blue.

Wooden Spoon = Manly. They've bought good players in Kennedy and Kite but that won't be enough to turn their club around. Defence just is not good enough, and the current players just don't put in enough. One or two guys just isn't gonna change that.

Tommy Smith

Referee
hrundi99 said:
What would be a tentative Tigers lineup that should have me dazzled?

Ideas please.
Nothing better than this years unfortunately. And i have nothing against the Tigers so i thinks its a shame that it doesnt look as though they'll be going from strength to strength. They needed some forwards, more forwards, a strong running backrower, a big prop and some more forwards...not Paul Whatuira.

hrundi99

First Grade
That's kind of what I thought.

Their halves may be exciting players, but with little go forward they won't get far surely.

It's the opposite to us this year. Plenty of good go-forward and ineffective halves.