What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2005 Predicitions

***MH***

Bench
Referees will have an error free season and the newspaper headlines would state how much of a good job the refs are doing... #-o

Tommy Smith

Referee
hrundi99 said:
It's the opposite to us this year. Plenty of good go-forward and ineffective halves.
Maybe you should merge ;-) The complete team then.. and im sure the two fan bases would love it as you clearly get along on here. :)

Eddie.

Bench
Tommy Smith said:
hrundi99 said:
What would be a tentative Tigers lineup that should have me dazzled?

Ideas please.
Nothing better than this years unfortunately. And i have nothing against the Tigers so i thinks its a shame that it doesnt look as though they'll be going from strength to strength. They needed some forwards, more forwards, a strong running backrower, a big prop and some more forwards...not Paul Whatuira.

I can see what your saying and it is a bit of a concern. Clubs below have have boosted their ranks whilst we have been very quiet in the market. having said that choping and changing your squad is not always the way to go and Sheens had a 3 yr plan in which 2005 would be the year where the exciting younger players we have would take over and make the club a top 8 team. Tim Sheens has slowly but surely improved not just the team but the club and we will definetly improve next year, i spose its just how mich teams around us will improve. I predicted a 8th to 11th finish this season, i reckon Sheens will be aiming for 6th to 8th next year. if forced to predict i would say Parra and newy are the only teams that i think might be a chance of finishing higher then us next season of the team currently below us.

marshall only played 6 games this year, so he is almost like a new signing and will take the pressure off prince at halfback. i think thats a fairly significent improvment already for 2005.

Kris_man

Bench
MH you should change your pic (is it called an "avatar" pic?i dont know) refs dont get chicks like that! :lol:

Tommy Smith

Referee
Eddie. said:
Tommy Smith said:
hrundi99 said:

Ideas please.
Nothing better than this years unfortunately. And i have nothing against the Tigers so i thinks its a shame that it doesnt look as though they'll be going from strength to strength. They needed some forwards, more forwards, a strong running backrower, a big prop and some more forwards...not Paul Whatuira.

I can see what your saying and it is a bit of a concern. Clubs below have have boosted their ranks whilst we have been very quiet in the market. having said that choping and changing your squad is not always the way to go and Sheens had a 3 yr plan in which 2005 would be the year where the exciting younger players we have would take over and make the club a top 8 team. Tim Sheens has slowly but surely improved not just the team but the club and we will definetly improve next year, i spose its just how mich teams around us will improve. I predicted a 8th to 11th finish this season, i reckon Sheens will be aiming for 6th to 8th next year. if forced to predict i would say Parra and newy are the only teams that i think might be a chance of finishing higher then us next season of the team currently below us.

marshall only played 6 games this year, so he is almost like a new signing and will take the pressure off prince at halfback. i think thats a fairly significent improvment already for 2005.
Good response. What youngsters are coming through in the forwards? Harrison looks good, Gibbs seems alright and i havent seen much of Heighnington (sp?). Also what about Farah? I thought he'd be your regular hooker by now. Anyone else to look out for next year?

Bench
Farah has been out for the season for a while now,Fulton a lock at the Maggies will be a star.Wehave a heap of potential in the minors whether they step up is another thing,Collis,Greally,Parker and Lima will,Alberts,Small and DeGois should there are more but maybe not next year.
Nick K from Canberra and Merridith from Souths I expect to see some top flight action later in the season 05.

Kris_man

Bench
the raiders have taught us, thru elliott, that 3 year plans mean nothing. our losses last year were supposed to be good for us, to build "experience". so much for that...i much prefer what john lang said (whose team obviously went on to win the comp): "we might not have this opportunity again, so we just want to take it while we can". the tigers have been lucky this year in that a number of players have been in form at the same time, just like the raiders last year. they're also losing satts, which i think will be a big loss, cos he brings so much maturity on and off the field. my tip? tigers to finish just outside the 8 next year.

^ Pando

retired
2005 prediction.

Bulldogs will continue to be a force, even without Price. Mason, O'Meley and Ryan will take up the slack.

Anasta and Sherwin will continue to control the rucks, SB Williams will be a starter.

Dogs will train a new kicker to replace El Masri.

Utai will just get better.

thickos

First Grade
Eddie. said:
Tommy Smith said:
hrundi99 said:

Ideas please.

The Raiders thought it a good idea to keep the same team together this season. However with a bad run of injuries, suspensions, bad luck, you name it - the same playing group can have an incredibly different result from season to season. The Warriors are a prime example.

I think the Tigers, like us, should have been more pro-active in the market.

_Johnsy

Referee
I think we have the forwards and players to cover our losses in the forwards.

Kite and Riddell are the only losses that could have an impact on our side. We have signed Ennis and we have Gorrell and Withers so the hooker spot is covered. I think Kite is covered, as we do have an abundance of good young forwards, as we had Bailey and Ryles out for extended periods and covered pretty well. I would expect a top 4 finish next year.

My table at the end of the rounds for 2005.

The top 4 should be these guys in no particular order

Roosters
Bulldogs
Dragons
Brisbane

Again the sides below in no order. I believe that the rest of the sides below will fight for the other sposts in a very tight comp. Injuries suspensions will of course have an impact on them, as well as the top 4, so say 2 out of the top 4 may drop.

Parra
Newcastle
Cowboys
Sharks
Warriors
Panthers
Manly
Melbourne
Canberra
Tigers

I just dont think the bunnies have the personell at player and admin level to be close to the 8 next year. For the good of the game I do hope they prove me wrong.

Souths

legend

Coach
I'm probably in the minority who think Canberra can go better than they have this year. A lot of new faces and some genuine competition for starting spots will see a more enthusiastic team IMO.

Monaghan has been a dud since signing with the Chooks and Ruben seems to have lost some heart since signing with the Warriors and this overall has had a very negative effect on the team.

Jason Smith will bring something to the team, not sure what it is yet but I hope it is positive.

I'm hoping Jermaine Ale and Todd Carney cement first grade spots and Craig Frawley can remain injury free. Same goes for Michael Weyman.

Canberra's season will be determined by the success of the front row. If O'Hara can regain his 2003 form and Weyman stays on the field, I believe we could surprise as there is no expectation on us whatsoever.

legend

Coach
Looking at other sides, the Roostes could be the big losers next year IMO. The players they have bought are great finishers but they cannot creat anything and are extremely poor defenders, an area the Roosters currently struggle with in the backs.

Again, as someone has said, the loss of Fittler will be a massive blow. He is a once in a generation player and I believe Firman will be well short of filling the void created by Fittler's retirement.

Saints have the squad to win the comp but still lack the application to string more then four wins together. They can win it this year if they put their mind to it but they have the depth and talent to win the comp every year.

Not sure on the Dogs yet. Premier League side are average and are losing leadership and forward depth, none of which will be adequately replaced IMO. The loss of Price will take some time to overcome but the Dogs will still be a top four side.

The big mover will be the Eels. An awesome forward pack and a reasonable backline but if they can get Marsh back at 100%, then they will be a real dark horse for the premiership with one of the best packs in the NRL.

bartman

Immortal
Biggest improvers: Cowboys, Raiders, Eels (couldn't get much worse).
Biggest falls from grace: Storm, Knights, Sharks.
Tigers could go either way - they're very hard to predict.
Everything else will stay pretty much the same imo.

_Johnsy

Referee
Legend

I'm with you on Parra. My only question is how long to bring the squad together, and therefore start performing as a tight side. May take a while, 2006 could be the year, one thing is for sure next year will be a closer comp. Make no mistake about that.

skeepe

Immortal
My rather ill-informed predictions for next season:

1. Cowboys :shock:
2. Eels
3. Broncos
4. Raiders
5. Bulldogs
6. Roosters
7. Warriors
8. Dragons

9. Sharks
10. Tigers
11. Panthers
12. Knights
13. Storm
14. Souths
15. Eagles

JW

Coach
1. Cowboys

Would not be surprised one bit.

Under no real pressure I suppose, only a few players on rep duties, usually fly under the radar, and providing they stay injury free, they have an outstanding list of players for next season.

Could do a 2003 Penrith quite easily.

Would be fantastic for the game if they continue to improve.

Cheers.

Langers

Juniors
I think next year will be very interesting. My predictions are

1. Bulldogs
2. Roosters
3. Dragons
4. Broncos
5. Panthers
6. Cowboys
7. Storm
8. Sea Eagles