What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2006 Dally M Award Winners

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
Ok, now i have a genuine question.

Brent Webb polls inside the top 10 in the overall voting. The only other fullback ahead of him is the guy who got the award deservedly.

Why did he not even get nominated? Is there a reason other than because the Warriors weren't on Channel 9?

CharlieF

Juniors
IanRitchie said:
Ok, now i have a genuine question.

Brent Webb polls inside the top 10 in the overall voting. The only other fullback ahead of him is the guy who got the award deservedly.

Why did he not even get nominated? Is there a reason other than because the Warriors weren't on Channel 9?

Oford had 20 points and was 5th overall. He did not get halfback of the year even though Cronk wasn't even in the top 10. I'm not sure how it works. I'm pretty sure I heard them congratulate Cameron Smith for getting Hooker of the year because he polled the highest on the leaderboard.

I guess its not how many points you get, but who they want to give the award to in the end. I cant explain it any different.

Ice777

Bench
All positional awards are voted by rugby league journalists who are asked to submit their votes judged on who they think has been the best player in each position thorughout the year.

It's a completely different vote to the Dally M and the top rated in any position in that voting doesn't necessarily make it in the team of the year. The only reason why Smith did was because he was the best hooker this year and not just because he won the Dally M. It's no different to the AFL all Australian team which again is a completely independant vote to the Brownlow.

Anyway congratulations to Cam, Coop and Bellyache for getting coach of the year honours. All very deserving winners IMO ;-)

skeepe

Immortal
Congratulations Schif! Fullback of the year!

Interesting stats.... the Raiders have had the fullback of the year 3 times previously.... 1989, 1990 and 1994.

By that rule, I give you the 2006 premiers... the Canberra Raiders! ;)

salivor said:
How did neither Petero or Lockyer not get any points from the last round match against the Warriors? Proves to me that the award is a joke, at least they got the winner right though.

they did. they only decided to in the last round to announce any points to the guys left in contention

thuganomics said:
How the hell does Cronk get halfback of the year... but Orford get more points in the Dally M leaderboard...

the team of the year wasn't worked out on the dally m points.

cronk got 31 votes
orford and johns got 29

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
Raoul Duke said:
Well Done. Cameron Smith. Great to a see a QUEENSLANDER win it for two years in a row. Hope to see this righteous trend continue for the next millenium.

Well done Locky. A true representative and the world's best player. Great to see 2 Broncos players nominated for the rookie of the year. Lockyer should've got captain of the year, Ben what a joke.

Why wasn't Merritt the winger of the year, what a great effort considering he played for such a useless team.

Gasnier? :crazy: Hodges outplayed that gimp in every way possible.

Hindmarsh? How the hell did that bogan get so close?

Civoniceva truly deserved the prop of the year. Of course the board didn't want too many Queenslanders in the awards.

Moron :lol:

The General

Juniors
The team of the year isn't worked out by Dally M points but Warren Smith announced at the start that the top 3 Dally M players automatically get player in their position. So therefore Smith, Hindmarsh and Kennedy got player of the year in their respective positions. Would have been interesting if they had 2 players in the same position in the top 3.

Poida_Raider

Bench
skeepe said:
Congratulations Schif! Fullback of the year!

Interesting stats.... the Raiders have had the fullback of the year 3 times previously.... 1989, 1990 and 1994.

By that rule, I give you the 2006 premiers... the Canberra Raiders! ;)

stats never lie!!

haha, skeepe that is a stat i'll be clinging to for this weekend. cheers!