What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2006 NRL Ad Campaign

Misty Bee

First Grade
OK, here's Misty Bee Demille's idea.

Start with a black screen, with the words "What sport will you follow this winter?"

Cue "Happy Boy", and run footage of Matt Dunning waddling along for a hit up. Then show a typical AFL girlie slap fight. Then, a Uraguay soccer player writhing in pain from a chipped fingrnail. Back to a crowd shot of the Sydney RU Grand Final. Then back to th soccrroos missing the goal in a penalty shoot out. Interspersd with quick images of a Union winger growing cobwebs while waiting for the ball.

Back to the black screen "Here's what most Australians will be doing"

Then cut to a montage of big Origin hits, Marshalls flick pass, Hindy tackling 3 poms, Grothe's hit on Timmins and the runaway try. All to the music of Rose Tattoo's "We cant Be Beaten". Then a voice over of Tommy Raudonikis and Gary Larson in unison, shoulting "Rugby League - the greatest game of all" A shot of Laurie Nicholls shadow boxing, Webcke hammering Phil Bailey in Origin, and then with the chorus,a shot of Buderis holding the 2005 tri nations trophy.

Id definately use the Choirboys song "Boys will be Boys" or maybe even "run to paradise" some big hits, some good sorts, some fans, some scantilly clad cheergirls and you wont go wrong.

Feej

First Grade
I think the player agents should be in there somewhere. Maybe there can be a 10 second grab of Abba's "Money Money Money", and they can all be dancing around while money falls from the heavens?:lol:

Raider_69

Post Whore
Feej said:
I think the player agents should be in there somewhere. Maybe there can be a 10 second grab of Abba's "Money Money Money", and they can all be dancing around while money falls from the heavens?:lol:

they get 10% of every other f**king thing so why not give em 10% of ad time :lol:

griff

Bench
That's my team is good if you are an early 30s blue collar worker with an unhealthy interest in 80s Aussie pub rock and you already happen to support a rugby league team. Problem is the NRL already has that demographic pretty tightly sown up. Playing that ad is just preaching to the converted, so it is a complete waste of money.

They need to broaden their appeal. Go for a remix of Simply the Best with some young good looking star players and big hits and classy action and appeal to more women and young professionals.

Angry_eel

First Grade
i reckon we should have black betty as the song and the montage of biggest charges of 2005 by fui, webcke or somebody else.

sharkadelic

Juniors
Moffo said:
How about they use their brains for a change and do something mildly exciting

they should use something like the super league add in 1997 but have players passing the ball from famous landmarks (i.e. andrew johns in the amazon passes it to willie mason on top of buckingham palace, to corey hughes in front of a firing squad in indonesia

lmao. That is a beautiful picture.

I am just worried in trying to curry favour with kids, the NRL will sell out and get Shannon Noll or some equally talented :roll: karoake competition winner to sing some lame Whitney Houston song. Or worse....one of their "own"

Angry_eel

First Grade
sharkadelic said:
lmao. That is a beautiful picture.

I am just worried in trying to curry favour with kids, the NRL will sell out and get Shannon Noll or some equally talented :roll: karoake competition winner to sing some lame Whitney Houston song. Or worse....one of their "own"
Maybe we should have someone really talented actually do a fair dinkum rugby league song. Make one. Something like the English rugby song 'Spring rose sweet chariot' i mean that represents Union in England, people know there's union being played when that song comes up.

Parrasque

Juniors
How about we get Tom Jones singing the Star Jones classic "What a man" except replace it with "What a game"

Knightmare

Coach
If they were to do a remake of 'Simply the Best', I think it'd be cool to splice footage from the old ad with the new, it'd show that the game has ben around for a while and that it's not just all about the NRL circa 2006. So there could be footage of Sterlo, Miller, Mal, Wally, Junior, Laurie, Bert etc. from the old Simply the Best ads spliced with footage of Joey, Mini, Locky, Benji etc.

If 'Lay Down Your Guns' by Jimmy Barnes had different lyrics, it would make the most awesome League song- expecially the opening bit!

hrundi99

First Grade
Angry_eel said:
Maybe we should have someone really talented actually do a fair dinkum rugby league song. Make one. Something like the English rugby song 'Spring rose sweet chariot' i mean that represents Union in England, people know there's union being played when that song comes up.

I think maybe you mean "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot".

willvillain

Juniors
I think he does as well, and while it does embody English rugby, the bloody Poms have adopted it for every single sport these days.

It's a mad passionate song, but f*ck me it gets overdone - I'd heard enough of it when they started singing it during the Ashes.

choc_soldier

Coach
Any English people that post on here - does Superleague have an ad, and if so, what is that like? Just curious...

spacemanspiff

Juniors
The NRL theme song next year should be without a doubt Australian band Wolfmother and their song Dimension.

Rocking 70's guitar riffs to appeal to the oldies and youngies alike.
Scenes of Benji stepping blokes showing the Tiges taking the game to 'another dimension'
It'd be like printing money.
You heard it here first.

Razor

Coach
they should use something like the super league add in 1997 but have players passing the ball from famous landmarks (i.e. andrew johns in the amazon passes it to willie mason on top of buckingham palace, to corey hughes in front of a firing squad in indonesia

The 1997 Super League ad was sh*t. And guess who came up with it? Rebecca Wilson who at the time was the Advertising Chief for Super League.

eelandia

Juniors
griff said:
That's my team is good if you are an early 30s blue collar worker with an unhealthy interest in 80s Aussie pub rock and you already happen to support a rugby league team. Problem is the NRL already has that demographic pretty tightly sown up. Playing that ad is just preaching to the converted, so it is a complete waste of money.

They need to broaden their appeal. Go for a remix of Simply the Best with some young good looking star players and big hits and classy action and appeal to more women and young professionals.

You got it right - we need to steer away from the stereotypical songs, even those ones that are modern but have a line that may remotely relate to League (I get knocked down, then get up agian...etc). When I hear 'We are the Champions' at football games it makes me cringe.

Surely someone can 'write' a jingle that'll get the non-fan's attention?

Moffo

Referee
Razor said:
The 1997 Super League ad was sh*t. And guess who came up with it? Rebecca Wilson who at the time was the Advertising Chief for Super League.

i didn't say use the same ad. i said conceptually, you could use something similar

Latest posts