What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2006 potential

shaun

Juniors
I think this could be the year for us to win premiership. But only if our first graders go one step further and fufill their potential. Although other teams have lost of improvement in them like the roosters and bulldogs. ive just listed down some points on first graders potential.

Mckinnon- Just needs to play more games. Always a threat
Burt/Peterson- Probably already playing to potential. Burt needs to improve defence
B. Smith- Had a super 1st full year of 1st grade. I think hes a rep star in the making. But needs to improve defence also.
Tahu- Will become even more dynamic if he can stay injury free. Will have added motivation to perform to impress Hagan to keep him in centres
Grothe- 2005 was a real breakthough year for Eric. I think he could become even more damaging and powerful this season. I can see him playing for NSW.
Morris- Had a good year in 2005. Unsure of his potential. Id play him at lock and Mateo at 5/8. His defence will be needed.
T. Smith- Hopefully he has a big year. I cant see him not dominating all seaosn and becoming number 1 half in comp. He showed some good signs towards the end of season at taking the defence on. This is maybe where he can improve.
Mateo- Havnt seen much of him myself but he sounds impressive. Seems to have massive potential and if he gets some confidence in winning team he could be awesome.
Morrison and Hindmarsh. Not much to say. Lead the team in many ways. I think Hindy could improve his running game which he showed last year. I think both could combine even better with T. Smith this season
Cayless- Had a great year 2005. Hopefullt he will back up again this year and lead from front. Needs to avoid judicary
riddell/pj- I reckon PJ will carve up this year. Last year a massive year coming back from injury and i think he should be in QLD team if they want a chance to beat blues. I think piggy will have another solid year.
Stringer- Not sure if he can improve much. Considering his past injury problems he had an excellent season. Defence sometimes a bit suspect but made good metres.

bench
cannings- he is one player that has so much potential. id have him ahead of stringer (and hauraki too). If he can improve his defense and fitness he could be devastating and along with fui they could be the difference
Widders- Great year. Will be marked tighter this year.
Fui- Last year was also his breakthrough year. Sounds like hes in good form. If he stays on the park he will be vital to our success. The way he carved up the cowboys at parra stadium last year was great to watch.
Vella- Not sure if he can improve much. If he doesnt run hard and make ++ metres maybe hauraki/delaney/to-o could replace him.

One big question is which young-un will be suprise of the year. I hope its Hayne or Hauraki. Or maybe J. Smith or M. perenera.

I think the potential of Cannings, T. Smith, Mateo and Fui holds the key to us winning a title. That and injuries. Im very excited for coming season although bit pissed off if im not in aus to see it.

Parra has so many youngsters who are yet to fufill their potential the other clubs must be spitting chips.

Just my 2 cents worth.

You KNow im right

Utey

Coach
We were the leagues best in defence. They are doing just fine.

If we are banking on Cannings and Mateo to winning the title we arent much of a chance. We are banking on our forward pack to continue to dominate and give Tim room to play.

Eelementary

Post Whore
shaun said:
I think this could be the year for us to win premiership. But only if our first graders go one step further and fufill their potential. Although other teams have lost of improvement in them like the roosters and bulldogs. ive just listed down some points on first graders potential.

Mckinnon- Just needs to play more games. Always a threat
Burt/Peterson- Probably already playing to potential. Burt needs to improve defence
B. Smith- Had a super 1st full year of 1st grade. I think hes a rep star in the making. But needs to improve defence also.
Tahu- Will become even more dynamic if he can stay injury free. Will have added motivation to perform to impress Hagan to keep him in centres
Grothe- 2005 was a real breakthough year for Eric. I think he could become even more damaging and powerful this season. I can see him playing for NSW.
Morris- Had a good year in 2005. Unsure of his potential. Id play him at lock and Mateo at 5/8. His defence will be needed.
T. Smith- Hopefully he has a big year. I cant see him not dominating all seaosn and becoming number 1 half in comp. He showed some good signs towards the end of season at taking the defence on. This is maybe where he can improve.
Mateo- Havnt seen much of him myself but he sounds impressive. Seems to have massive potential and if he gets some confidence in winning team he could be awesome.
Morrison and Hindmarsh. Not much to say. Lead the team in many ways. I think Hindy could improve his running game which he showed last year. I think both could combine even better with T. Smith this season
Cayless- Had a great year 2005. Hopefullt he will back up again this year and lead from front. Needs to avoid judicary
riddell/pj- I reckon PJ will carve up this year. Last year a massive year coming back from injury and i think he should be in QLD team if they want a chance to beat blues. I think piggy will have another solid year.
Stringer- Not sure if he can improve much. Considering his past injury problems he had an excellent season. Defence sometimes a bit suspect but made good metres.

bench
cannings- he is one player that has so much potential. id have him ahead of stringer (and hauraki too). If he can improve his defense and fitness he could be devastating and along with fui they could be the difference
Widders- Great year. Will be marked tighter this year.
Fui- Last year was also his breakthrough year. Sounds like hes in good form. If he stays on the park he will be vital to our success. The way he carved up the cowboys at parra stadium last year was great to watch.
Vella- Not sure if he can improve much. If he doesnt run hard and make ++ metres maybe hauraki/delaney/to-o could replace him.

One big question is which young-un will be suprise of the year. I hope its Hayne or Hauraki. Or maybe J. Smith or M. perenera.

I think the potential of Cannings, T. Smith, Mateo and Fui holds the key to us winning a title. That and injuries. Im very excited for coming season although bit pissed off if im not in aus to see it.

Parra has so many youngsters who are yet to fufill their potential the other clubs must be spitting chips.

Just my 2 cents worth.

You KNow im right

Some good points. Not sure whether they're all right, though.

Cannings ahead of Stringer? Cannings has had plenty of First Grade opportunities and he only made a real impact against Souths last year, whereas Stringer was an important part of our front row all year.

Vella isn't a Moi Moi-esque prop. His strengths are his speed (both in play and play-the-balls) and his mobility. I also think he's one of the best kick-off returners there are. He's had a few poor seasons - however, early last year I think we all found out why. Towards the end of the season Mick was playing some very good footy - and I for one think his game against the Cowboys off the bench was quite good.

Burt...I wouldn't say he's reached his potential just yet. The guy has talent to burn, but he hasn't relaised all of it just yet...Maybe this year he may...

shaun

Juniors
i didnt mean cannings and mateo will win us premiership. Just meant that with big improvements from these type of players together with t. smith and other stars of 2005 firing then maybe we will have a greater chance this year.

Stagger eel

Staff member
well done Shaun, I'm more excited about the kids coming through than the more established players.

TheParraboy

Staff member
I have a real good feeling about this year

I havent had this feeling since the start of last year