What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2006 Trials Thread *Updates*

Stagger eel

Staff member
Clock watcher said:
On a side not eelevation who is boasting abou beating a Qld cup side, I agree with your other statement, but am interested what the phu!k you are talking about there???
Completely left field?? DRUGS??
R U O.K TONIGHT??

subtle dig at effnic for posting it..

Stagger eel

Staff member
Clock watcher said:
I know was just pulling your leg!!

Speaking of drugs - wher is Effnic??
lol

probably in the middle of his hit after he heard the score!!! :lol:

but seriously, Stuart should mind his own phucking business.

Hurriflatch

Referee
Just on the team that played

If Dessie made a point of naming a strong side and saying he was taking the trial seriously, then I can understand why someone would feel ripped off going to the game only to find it's a team of kids and fringe 1st graders.

Using Parramatta as an example this year in both trials Brian Smith has named a team of youngesters and players looking to get a crack at the top grade so people knew what they were getting into when they came to the game.

In saying that I prefer it when understrength sides are named as it means the top-liners cannot get injured and it also gives people a look at the 2nd tier players and the next big things coming through at the club.

Bicey_18

Bench
Penrith comes back to steamroll Knights
Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 12:04 AM

Penrith put a month of turmoil behind them with a stunning 38-30 comeback win over Newcastle in a trial match at Alice Springs.

And ironically it was newly appointed skipper Tony Puletua who led the comeback with embattled and dumped former captain Craig Gower resting on the sidelines.

The Panthers trailed Newcastle by 24 points at halftime but steamrolled the Knights in the second half thanks to two tries to Puletua.

Gower, still in a bitter dispute with the club over being stripped of his captaincy for an alcohol-fuelled indiscretion at the Sunshine Coast, sat out the second half comeback having earlier been the Panthers most industrious attacking player.

But in his absence it was the rampaging efforts of Puletua that won the match for the Panthers, going over for Penrith's first try within the first three minutes of the restart.

Newcastle had dominated the match early through emerging star Jarrod Mullen and stand in captain Kurt Gidley.

The pair were unstoppable in the first half playing a part in all four first half tries.

Their insatiable early form was squashed by Puletua's busting second half effort.

Luke Lewis and Mick Gordon supported their new captain well, partnering up to get the Panthers' second try in five minutes.

Not to be outdone the Puletua thundered over again two minutes later.

Shane Rodney capped off the turn around in the 70th minute giving the Panthers the lead for the first time, 26-24.

The Panthers late dominance was emphasised by Brett Howland's 80m try before new British recruit Brian Carney wrapped up the match with his first try for the Knights in the final minute.

Clock watcher

Juniors
Again agree totally I would still have wanted to see the game tonight either way, but would have expected a result like we got, had we have know the calibre of side.
But as Eela said no injuries and at this stage will field all those name in rnd 1 wich is all that really matters!!!

Stagger eel

Staff member
Hurriflatch said:
Just on the team that played

If Dessie made a point of naming a strong side and saying he was taking the trial seriously, then I can understand why someone would feel ripped off going to the game only to find it's a team of kids and fringe 1st graders.

Using Parramatta as an example this year in both trials Brian Smith has named a team of youngesters and players looking to get a crack at the top grade so people knew what they were getting into when they came to the game.

In saying that I prefer it when understrength sides are named as it means the top-liners cannot get injured and it also gives people a look at the 2nd tier players and the next big things coming through at the club.

Des could of named a strong and fielded that side, but depending on how he approach's the trial, that side could of radically changed in the first 10 minutes. Trials are nothing more than laboratory experiments, if it doesn't turn out right, who gives a sh*t..it's only an issue wants expensive equipment breakdown in the process of trials..

Clock watcher

Juniors
and for all the roosters fans that will crucify me tomorrow for these posts, the chooks looked more like the team of 02/03/04 rather than the rabble of 05. Harrison - shhhh!t he was awesome and braith looked good in patches. Monaghan (joel) looked more at ease tonight and maybe like the player from the Raiders ???
Me thinks a big year coming vor the red white and blue - bugger!!!!
me hopes I am wrong!!

Clock watcher

Juniors
Right again Eela imaging how dirty I would be now if B.K got hurt tonight and was out for 12 weeks or something!!
o my good my heart may have just stopped - 06 gone!! - No thats right just a bad dream!!
lol
Point taken i will be happy with my value for money tonight and continue on with this fine bottle of something beer - no lable very scary probably old stock??

Stagger eel

Staff member
Clock watcher said:
and for all the roosters fans that will crucify me tomorrow for these posts, the chooks looked more like the team of 02/03/04 rather than the rabble of 05. Harrison - shhhh!t he was awesome and braith looked good in patches. Monaghan (joel) looked more at ease tonight and maybe like the player from the Raiders ???
Me thinks a big year coming vor the red white and blue - bugger!!!!
me hopes I am wrong!!

I still think they might have some issues with the depth in their forward pack. than there's the DeFinchy code factor..

Stagger eel

Staff member
Clock watcher said:
Right again Eela imaging how dirty I would be now if B.K got hurt tonight and was out for 12 weeks or something!!
o my good my heart may have just stopped - 06 gone!! - No thats right just a bad dream!!
lol
Point taken i will be happy with my value for money tonight and continue on with this fine bottle of something beer - no lable very scary probably old stock??

if that happened, you wouldn't be talking about the scoreline nor Dessies team lineups.

Clock watcher

Juniors
Cheap motel - sh*tty beer, bad lap top, whinging wife, hang over, long drive home tomorrow. See boys am over it all ready and moved on to new things to whing about!!

Clock watcher

Juniors
Yes there pack - they handles Cleal ok tonight lol - do you want Kane back by the way??
But Kite and Rose caused plenty of trouble at times - you may be very right!!!

Stagger eel

Staff member
Clock watcher said:
Cheap motel - sh*tty beer, bad lap top, whinging wife, hang over, long drive home tomorrow. See boys am over it all ready and moved on to new things to whing about!!

give me that any day of the week, rather than Hindmarsh or Tim Smith out for 6 months, due to a trial against the Wilcania Wombats.

have a safe trip home..

Clock watcher

Juniors
the wombats - anything special there??
I believe Effi has us lined up for a trial game next week. our season may very well hang on the result!!

Stagger eel

Staff member
Clock watcher said:
the wombats - anything special there??
I believe Effi has us lined up for a trial game next week. our season may very well hang on the result!!

:lol: :lol:

Bomber

Bench
Good result for the Cowboys, although Brenton Bowen dislocating his shoulder is a bit worrying. Hannay will not be fit for Round 1, so he would be the winger, with Williams in the centres.

Jensen should be right.

mickdo

Coach
Sounds like the Storm lost on the injury front as well...

Injuries add to Storm's misery
February 19, 2006
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,18197621-23214,00.html

Parramatta 30 Melbourne 24
MELBOURNE signing Ben Cross is out for two months after suffering ankle ligament damage during last night's pre-season loss to Parramatta.

The former Canberra prop was making his debut for the Storm at Exies Oval in Griffith -- despite being under suspension -- when he damaged ligaments in his right ankle.

Melbourne paid dearly for the defeat, which came despite them fighting back from 16-0 down to level the ledger at 24-24 by three-quarter time.

"We've got lots of injuries," said recruitment manager Peter O'Sullivan.

"Ben Cross has done his ankle, Brent White has hurt his hamstring and Colin Wilkie has also done his ankle.

"White and Wilkie may not be that serious but Cross looks like being out for eight weeks."

Youngster Krisnan Inu and Joel Reddy each scored a brace of tries for the Eels as they took control early against a youthful Storm lineup. But the ensuing comeback was spurred by 2006 Queensland squad member Greg Inglis, who also bagged a brace of tries and kicked four goals.

Late tries to winger Matt Petersen and rookie Brendan Oake sealed the Eels victory.

Advertisement:
PARRAMATTA 30 (K Inu 2, J Reddy 2, M Petersen, B Oake tries; B Delaney 3 goals)
MELBOURNE 24 (G Inglis 2, K Wilkie, A Blair tries; G Inglis 4 goals) at Exies Oval, Griffith.
Referee: S Hampstead.
Crowd: 6831

Hurriflatch

Referee
yeah. trial match injuries suck

It's not really all that bad for Cross when you think about it

He would've had something like 4 weeks left on his suspension come round 1 so really he may only miss a couple of weeks more due to the injury.