What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2006 Trials Thread *Updates*

Bicey_18

Bench
but considering the side we had on the park no one expected us to even go close.... Congrats for the Panthers on their win but really with guys like Campbell, Gower, Priddis, Pritchard, Lewis etc.. they were always gunna win.. No johns, buderus, simmo, smith, newton, davico... Complacent they were again but they held their own.. good effort boys

Jono078

Referee
Kiwi winger Manu Vatuvei and new prop George Tuakura produced tries in an improved second half display by the Vodafone Warriors in their NRL trial against the North Queensland Cowboys in Cairns on Saturday night.
As they did against Canberra last Sunday, the Vodafone Warriors conceded a significant half-time lead, this time falling 20-0 behind at the break.
The 2005 beaten NRL grand finalists opened with a double to veteran centre Paul Bowman, both tries unconverted to give the Cowboys an 8-0 lead after the first quarter.
In the next 20 minutes, two more tries followed, the first to halfback Brett Firman after a bust up the middle and the second to Queensland Origin fullback Matt Bowen. Johnathan Thurston converted both for a 20-0 lead.
It was into the third quarter that the Vodafone Warriors finally registered points, huge Kiwi winger Manu Vatuvei crossing for a try Tony Martin was unable to convert. That made it 20-4 at threequarter time.
The Cowboys stretched their advantage to 22 points when centre Ty Williams regathered a charged down kick for his side's fifth try, Thurston again with the conversion.
Late in the match Tuakura picked up his first try for the club. Martin piloted the conversion over to complete a second 40 minutes in which the Vodafone Warriors finished 10-6 ahead.
Match details:
VODAFONE WARRIORS 10 (Manu Vatuvei, George Tuakura tries; Tony Martin conversion).
NORTH QUEENSLAND 26 (Paul Bowman 2, Brett Firman, Matt Bowen, Ty Williams tries; Johnathan Thurston 3 conversions).
Halftime: 20-0.

From Rleague forums.

Clock watcher

Juniors
I love the article about the roosters beating a "strong Manly outfit"
NO - Menzies. Kennedy, Stewart, Dunley, Hicks, King
15mins only - Bell, Orford, Whatmough
As an eagles supporter I am disapointed to waist my money on a PL game, but obviously Hasler had his reasons for sitting all big guns out
Ricky Stewart was heard at the ground accusing Hasler of waisting his time fielding a PL team against his Near Full strength side. But yet the roosters can find some way to put a spin on it like the eagles were at full strength and the rooster now deserve prem favouratism???

Caged Panther

First Grade
I'm glad penrith won but geesh letting newcastle, a vastly understrength newcastle, get out to a 24 nil lead is bloody concerning. On the other hand hanging in there and getting away with the win is a positive...

Happy with the win but dissapointed with the way in which we had to do it.

Stagger eel

Staff member
who gives a a freaking sh*t???..to me, a win in a trial match basicaly means you go through the match without any injuries not beat a Queensland cup and boast about it on the NRL forum..

trial results means jack phucking schitt!..but good to talk about it as we've been starved of footy for months.

Harold Bishop

Juniors
Clock watcher said:
NO - Menzies. Kennedy, Stewart, Dunley, Hicks, King
15mins only - Bell, Orford, Whatmough
As an eagles supporter I am disapointed to waist my money on a PL game, but obviously Hasler had his reasons for sitting all big guns out
Ricky Stewart was heard at the ground accusing Hasler of waisting his time fielding a PL team against his Near Full strength side. But yet the roosters can find some way to put a spin on it like the eagles were at full strength and the rooster now deserve prem favouratism???
Didnt Hasler name a pretty much full strength squad during the week? i just heard JP Cherry was in the starting team :?

Hurriflatch

Referee
Clock watcher said:

Well, I think they must get local writers to do these trial reviews or some kid on work experience who has no idea about anything

Last week the articles in the papers went on about Parra and the Storm fielding close to full strength sides

While the Storm were only missing Hill, Kidwell, Cross and King so you could kinda argue that MAYBE it was sorta kinda close

Parra were without Tahu, Grothe, Morris, Cayless, Riddell, Stringer, Hindmarsh, Morrison, Marsh and Moimoi from their top 17 players.

Clock watcher

Juniors
It was disapointing to think we would see a quality line up play for some length of time, only to get a very sub par side for most of the game. At best we may have had 5 definate first 13 on the field at once - so much chopping and changing which was expected, but 6 first graders, inc menzies b.k stewwie, hicks, kingy didn't even get off the wood so that was a let down. All that being said some of the kids will go pretty well in P/L after holding thier own at times against a good roosters outfit, who i must say did look pretty good. The roosters line up tonight would have put 30 points on the roosters of 2005 - they will go well this year!!!!

Grantwhy

Juniors
http://www.cowboys.com.au/LatestNews.asp?LatestNewsID=577

COWBOYS TOO STRONG FOR WARRIORS
18th of February 2006

The North Queensland Toyota Cowboys proved far too strong for the NZ Warriors 26-10 in front of a capacity crowd at Barlow Park Cairns tonight.

Over 15,000 fans watched the trial game played in humid conditions with the heavens opening up after the first ten minutes. The Cowboys showed some of the form that took them to the Grand Final in 2005 running in 5 tries to 2. The first half proved to be a lopsided affair with the Cowboys going to the break with a twenty points to nil lead.

However after the break the Warriors were much stronger in defense and posted the only points in the first twenty minutes of the second half. A late consolation try to the Warriors made the score line closer than the game actually was. The only injuries to come from the game were to Cowboys winger Brenton Bowen who dislocated his shoulder and Rod Jensen who took a heavy knock in one of the tackles.

In the earlier game the NQ Toyota Young Guns ran out winners 58-4 against a Papua New Guinea Development Team.

NQ Toyota Cowboys 26

Bowman 2, Firman 1,Bowen 1, Williams 1, trys. Thurston 3 conversions

NZ Warriors 10

Vatuvei 1, Tuakura1 trys. Webb 1 conversion.

Choppies

Coach
Good to see we had focus, something sorely lacking last year.
When Braith was on we looked alot more settled than anytime last year.
Harrisons 1st try was also pure class and brute force rolled into one. Defenders on him, shaking them off then a huge push to the line.

Clock watcher

Juniors
I am not winging about the result or anything like that and the roosters fan should be very happy because their big recruits gelled very well. But as Hurri mentioned it is frustrating to read that a near full strength side, whether parra or eagles gets beat by what ever, as a fan if you had no other knowledge it would be very disapointing. I accept that they are only trials and treat them accordingly, but we all hope to be competitive in every match, deep down inside. JUST REPORT THE TRUTH GOD DAM IT!!!! hehehe

Clock watcher

Juniors
And by the way it sh!ts me that Dessie would name all those people in hte squad and make a song and dance about taking this trial seriously, only to play a P/L strength side for 75% of the game. We payed money to see a game of footy irrespective of the result. But at least no injuries of concern, for either side from what i can gather.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Clock watcher said:
I am not winging about the result or anything like that and the roosters fan should be very happy because their big recruits gelled very well. But as Hurri mentioned it is frustrating to read that a near full strength side, whether parra or eagles gets beat by what ever, as a fan if you had no other knowledge it would be very disapointing. I accept that they are only trials and treat them accordingly, but we all hope to be competitive in every match, deep down inside. JUST REPORT THE TRUTH GOD DAM IT!!!! hehehe

I can understand you feeling a little dudded if you expected your top line up to take the field but just consider this.

1] it's just a trial, and will mean FA by round 1

2] Stuart can go f**k himself if he was whinging about Hassler waisting his time, Stuart should worry about his own side and Hessler has every right to do what he wants with his team.

3] remember last year??? no???

ok, a reserve grade Cronulla beat a near full strength Parra side, do you want me to remind you how both teams went in the comp proper last year?? ;-)

Stagger eel

Staff member
Clock watcher said:
And by the way it sh!ts me that Dessie would name all those people in hte squad and make a song and dance about taking this trial seriously, only to play a P/L strength side for 75% of the game. We payed money to see a game of footy irrespective of the result. But at least no injuries of concern, for either side from what i can gather.

the 2 most important words in that post.

Clock watcher

Juniors
On a side not eelevation who is boasting abou beating a Qld cup side, I agree with your other statement, but am interested what the phu!k you are talking about there???
Completely left field?? DRUGS??
R U O.K TONIGHT??

Clock watcher

Juniors
I can understand you feeling a little dudded if you expected your top line up to take the field but just consider this.

1] it's just a trial, and will mean FA by round 1

2] Stuart can go f**k himself if he was whinging about Hassler waisting his time, Stuart should worry about his own side and Hessler has every right to do what he wants with his team.

3] remember last year??? no???

ok, a reserve grade Cronulla beat a near full strength Parra side, do you want me to remind you how both teams went in the comp proper last year??

this however is pure wisdom and it is good to have you back!!
Not really frustrated though would watch them lose any day of the week, and coincidently always go down for the P/L game first, but would havre liked some warning that they wouldn't play thats all.
And yes Stuart can go phu!k himself!! lol

Hurriflatch

Referee
Eela wasn't refering to this trial in particular just in general

certain teams fans (You know who they are) go on and on and on about each little trial victory they have, these are the teams who commonly finish in the bottom 3 or so sides in the comp.

Latest posts