What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2007 recruitment drive by Smithy

I for one can see the Knights doing the biggest outside player signing drive in the club's history under Brian Smith. Widders and Ben Smith are at 100s to stay at Parra and are said to be ours if we want them. Tahu is off contract at the end of next season and will be very tempted to come home if the price is right. My biggest hope is he lures Danny Maguire to the club cos he has made it clear he wants to play in the NRL. The kid is a super talent but had an injury plagued season for Leeds last year. Simply put we are going to sign big names cos we have a marquee coach who is a genius tactician. People will play for less cos Smith will eventually get them bigger bucks later on. Does anyone really think the Parra would be so strong if it weren't for smith. He congratulates the premier league teams after each match man for man. That to me is him saying indirectly 'show me you are worthy of a shot and I will give it to you". He will break his trophy drought with the Knights I am sure.

antonius

Coach
Newie is God's Country said:
I for one can see the Knights doing the biggest outside player signing drive in the club's history under Brian Smith. Widders and Ben Smith are at 100s to stay at Parra and are said to be ours if we want them. Tahu is off contract at the end of next season and will be very tempted to come home if the price is right. My biggest hope is he lures Danny Maguire to the club cos he has made it clear he wants to play in the NRL. The kid is a super talent but had an injury plagued season for Leeds last year. Simply put we are going to sign big names cos we have a marquee coach who is a genius tactician. People will play for less cos Smith will eventually get them bigger bucks later on. Does anyone really think the Parra would be so strong if it weren't for smith. He congratulates the premier league teams after each match man for man. That to me is him saying indirectly 'show me you are worthy of a shot and I will give it to you". He will break his trophy drought with the Knights I am sure.
While ever we have Danny and Joey on our books, as well as Mullen (Hopefully we re-sign him) and Reynpldson at +$200,000 a season, our player dollars wont be unlimited. We may get a couple of players, but the cap will see to it that top of the range players will be hard to come by. Saying that I think its reasonable to think we may get a couple of players like Widders and Ben Smith, but I think the cap will knock the idea of Tahu returning, we just wont have the money left under the cap.

Jono078

Referee
Not sure on Danny Mcguire.. If we can resign Mullen there is no need for him really.

Widders would be alright if we got rid of a few backrowers, like Reynoldson..

We will be needing a Winger though and a maybe a forward unless some younger ones step up.

Yosh

Coach
hey if they raise the cap to 4million or what ever how does effect anyone who is still on a contract? it doesnt right? so basically does it mean we get extra like $750,000 to spend on players?

borat

Bench
Yosh said:
hey if they raise the cap to 4million or what ever how does effect anyone who is still on a contract? it doesnt right? so basically does it mean we get extra like $750,000 to spend on players?

Along with every other team in the comp.

Parki

Bench
tahu wouldnt come back here... too much bad blood i think

though i doubt hell stay at parra, might go looking a big money club like manly or the roosters

The Devil

Bench
But then there are quite a few players off contract at the end of the season.

I can't remember all the names, but releasing the 7 or so players off contract barring Mullen and Abraham, i'd say we'd free up at least 500k off the cap

Misanthrope

Staff member
I'm sorry guys, but I'd let Mullen go in an instant if we got McGuire. Mullen will be something special, but he's not McGuire.

chinorocks

Juniors
Im not interested in letting a quality young Australian prospect go, so we can sign an untested at NRL level english prospect. The risk outweighs the potential gain IMO.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Mullen would be the first choice of staying here over Danny McGuire IMHO. Mullen is young, and showed us a little bit of what he's capable of last year. He'll only get better, hopefully while in a red and blue jumper.

macavity

Referee
plus Mullen is one of us.

This club wasn't founded to promote pommy rugby league... where quality locals are available they should be first preference.

RABK

Referee
Looks like the club will pen a new deal to Mullen tomorrow, hopefully he is signed by the end of the week.

I don't think the club will look to sign many Parra players, maybe Ben Smith and Widders but only them.

While the club are in talks with Jarrod, no such talks are taking place between Kurt and the club hence IMO Kurt Gidley is a good chance to sign with Parra, he is Hagan's closest friend so it wouldn't shock me.

The Devil

Bench
All he is, is a good defender.

There is very little playmaking ability within him, and really has not lived up to the potential he showed before Origin to earn an 18th man spot, which happened to be right before contract negotiations..

RABK

Referee
I think we should keep him, but on half his current price. He is worth maybe $140,000, not $250,000.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Benny, it wouldn't be a massive mistake if we let Kurt go to Parramatta. He showed on Saturday what he can do, however, those sort of games appear few and far between. This year might be the exception to the rule, time will tell. As has been said on this forum countless times, Mullen is the future of this club. We don't want him going the way other Newcastle juniors have gone before him - out of the club.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Mullen is the future of this club.

Forgive me if I take your word and try and peer through the healthy dose of bias there. :lol:

I don't think losing Kidley will kill us, although I still think he'd be good for us in the centres.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
CWBush said:
Forgive me if I take your word and try and peer through the healthy dose of bias there. :lol:
:lol: Even if I didn't know him, my opinion wouldn't change.