What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2008 Arl Quad Series.

albert

Juniors
Round 1
TIME HOME TEAM AWAY TEAM VENUE

5:15 PM
Wed 9/Jul Jim Beam Cup vs NSW Country Runaway Bay, Queensland

7:00 PM
Wed 9/Jul Queensland Rangers vs GB Community Rangers Runaway Bay, Queensland

b0rt

Juniors
no, jon green plays for shellharbour marlins. their club is beneath their name, not above. Jason Godecke is the reds player.

i said correct me if im wrong.

GODECKE is from WA and is a WA REDS players
MCMENEMY also plays for the WA REDS
GREEN is from WA but is a SHELLHARBOUR player

Jim Beam Cup players are all paid to play and train part-time... this makes them semi-professionals. The same generally goes for players at A-Grade level.

Therefore, the GB side will be the only amateur side in the Quad series and so should probably expect to be soundly beaten. But stranger things have happened...

Perth Red

Post Whore
Having watched a lot of amateur rl in the UK I would say that the national conference is a stronger comp than the JB cup.

Having watched a lot of amateur rl in the UK I would say that the national conference is a stronger comp than the JB cup.

The GB Community Lions aren't from the Conference... they're from the tier below that.

Considering the disparity in player depths between the UK and Australia, common sense would dictate that a JBC side (containing players who have NRL potential) would be too strong for an NLC side. But hard to say definitively if they've never played one another. I just know that amateurs will almost never beat professionals.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Ah didn't realise they weren't the conference side. I would still say that a rep conference side would beat a rep JBC side from what I have seen of the standard of the JBC.

Training wise, although the JBC players are paid match day payments they don't train anymore than the top National conference sides.

Training wise, although the JBC players are paid match day payments they don't train anymore than the top National conference sides.

Only some JBC players would be on match payments. Many receive sign-on fees and salaries in the same way as NRL players do - it even happens in Sydney A-Grade (many a washed-up NRL player has been paid $20,000 sign-on fees to play with an A-Grade club - Owen Craigie springs to mind).

I guarantee Shane McMenemy isn't playing for match payments.

Roland

Juniors
Only some JBC players would be on match payments. Many receive sign-on fees and salaries in the same way as NRL players do - it even happens in Sydney A-Grade (many a washed-up NRL player has been paid $20,000 sign-on fees to play with an A-Grade club - Owen Craigie springs to mind).

I guarantee Shane McMenemy isn't playing for match payments.

There is a club in the Manly A grade - valley united - I heard that they get $300,000 from their sponsor - they didnt even make that the Grand final last year so at the start of this year they signed 5 players with NRL experience - Jason Ferris, Jason Death, Shayne Dunley, Nathan Hollingsworth and Brad Kelly. Ferris has since left for Group 19.

There is a club in the Manly A grade - valley united - I heard that they get $300,000 from their sponsor - they didnt even make that the Grand final last year so at the start of this year they signed 5 players with NRL experience - Jason Ferris, Jason Death, Shayne Dunley, Nathan Hollingsworth and Brad Kelly. Ferris has since left for Group 19.

Yes, people would be surprised at how much money is thrown around even at A-Grade level.

Is there anyone Jason Ferris hasn't played for... :lol:

Roland

Juniors
After a late change, Mark Simon was offerred a spot in the NSW Country side but he declined.

From NSWRL site...

http://www.nswrl.com.au/news/article.php?id=483

The 2008 Quad Series will contain a strong international flabour when it kicks off on the Gold Coast tomorrow. The inclusion of the Great Britain Community Lions has added extra spice to the prestigious representative tournament, which features eight matches to be played over a two-week period on the Gold and Sunshine Coasts.

Host team the Queensland Rangers joins the GB Community Lions, NSW Country and a Jim Beam Cup representative side in the race for the title.

Queensland Rugby League (QRL) Chairman John McDonald said the series was designed to provide representative opportunities for grassroots players.

"This is the third year that the series has been going, with New Zealand hosting the inaugural series and the second series being hosted by the Country Rugby League of NSW and played in Tamworth, Narrabri and Gunnedah in 2007," McDonald said.

"The Quad Series has become an important event on the rugby league calendar and provides a great opportunity for grassroots players to play representative rugby league at a higher level."

McDonald extended a warm welcome to the Great Britain Community Lions who are contesting the Quad Series for the first time.

"Community Rugby League in Great Britain encompasses BARLA, the Combined Services, the Student Rugby League and the RLC Lionhearts and came as a result of the Community Board's review of the representative program for Community Rugby League," McDonald said.

"The group has made the long trek from the UK and I hope that they will leave our shores with fond memories of their time in the Sunshine State."

albert

Juniors
LIONS MAKE SERIES DEBUT

THE 2008 Quad Series will contain a strong international flavour when it kicks off on the Gold Coast tomorrow.

The inclusion of the Great Britain Community Lions has added extra spice to the prestigious representative tournament, which features eight matches to be played over a two-week period on the Gold and Sunshine Coasts.

Host team the Queensland Rangers joins the GB Community Lions, NSW Country and a Jim Beam Cup representative side in the race for the title.

Queensland Rugby League (QRL) Chairman John McDonald said the series was designed to provide representative opportunities for grassroots players.

"This is the third year that the series has been going, with New Zealand hosting the inaugural series and the second series being hosted by the Country Rugby League of NSW and played in Tamworth, Narrabri and Gunnedah in 2007," McDonald said.

"The Quad Series has become an important event on the rugby league calendar and provides a great opportunity for grassroots players to play representative rugby league at a higher level."

McDonald extended a warm welcome to the Great Britain Community Lions who are contesting the Quad Series for the first time.

"Community Rugby League in Great Britain encompasses BARLA, the Combined Services, the Student Rugby League and the RLC Lionhearts and came as a result of the Community Board's review of the representative program for Community Rugby League," McDonald said.

"The group has made the long trek from the UK and I hope that they will leave our shores with fond memories of their time in the Sunshine State."

Roland

Juniors
Round 1 results

Jim Beam 28 beat NSW Country 14
Qld Rangers 30 beat GB Lions 16

All 3 local teams have had withdrawals from originally selected teams but the Rangers have have suffered most with 2 more injuries in the first game added to the pullouts.

Bugger. Country suffered a similar result against JBC last year, in fact the score may have been identical, and still won the final. Unlikely this year though. On those results you'd have to tip the Rangers and JBC.

albert

Juniors
DAY 1 RESULTS

XXXX Queensland Rangers 30 (Ashley Radunz, Anthony Toby, Jason Wardrop, Stephen Kim, Saul Terare tries; Paul Stanley 5 goals) def GB Community Lions 16 (Jordan Precious, Paul Pendlebury, Anthony Atherton tries; Jordan Precious 2 goals)

Jim Beam Cup 28 (James Mortimer 2, Jason Godecke, Jon Green, Ben Ellis tries; Craig Trindall 4 goals) def NSW Country 14 (Wes Hallam, Blake O'Sullivan, Michael Fortier tries; Kose Lelei goal)

b0rt

Juniors
godecke and green both scored, nice
although green has probably played about 15 nrl games so youd expect him to ok well

albert

Juniors
Saturday, July 12 - Pizzey Park, Miami
2.30pm - Jim Beam Cup v GB Community Lions
4.15pm - Qld Rangers v NSW Country

Tuesday, July 15 - Maroochydore JRLFC

5.30pm - NSW Country v GB Community Lions
7.15pm - Qld Rangers v Jim Beam Cup

Saturday, July 19 - Stockland Park, Kawana

2.15pm - 3 v 4
4pm - 1 v 2 Final