What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2008 WARL Tooheys Cup Grand Final - South Perth Lions v Rockingham Coastal Sharks

joondalup_giant

Staff member
Rockingham Sharks forced their way into next week’s Grand Final downing North Beach Sea Eagles after a close tussle at Charles Riley Reserve. The final score at 29 to 22 was due to a greater desire to win by the Sharks.
In a lackluster first half both sides seemed to want to sit back and watch and eventually it was Rockingham who lifted on the back of two penalties which saw Adrian Adams cross the line then convert his own try at the 13 minute mark. Not long after North Beach leveled through a try to Nathan Jones.
From then the Sharks were making all the running with Vakapuna Alantini scoring a double at the 23 and 36 minute mark through strong pushes from dummy half that had no resistance from the Sea Eagles. North Beach never seemed to be in the game and it was a combination of errors and soft play that allowed the Sharks to go into the shed with an 18 to 6 lead
At the restart the Sea Eagles had more purpose and within 4 minutes got the difference back to 6 points after a push over the line from Glen Godecke. They then had the chance to take advantage of the Sharks after Dave Nicholls was sent to the sin bin and it eventually came when Sam Lofts ran the ball under the posts to level the score at 18 all with still 25 minutes to play.
At 64 minutes Stacy Smith crossed for the Sharks and was quickly answered when North Beach leveled again through Tony Merrick.
With the score locked at 22 all and 11 minutes to play, the Sharks ran the ball quickly forward to allow Adams to kick a field goal. They then were able to control the game with the bonus of another try with six minutes to go.
Best players for the Sharks were Dave Tito, Adrian Adams, Dave Nicholls and Stacy Smith with Nathan Jones, Dustin Hume and Marcus Carney the best for the Sea Eagles.

Grand Final is on Saturday 6th of September @ Members Equity Stadium and will see the following match ups take place.

Womens LeagueTag - Rockingham v Kalgoorlie @ 12:30pm
Reserve Grade - Rockingham v South Perth @ 1:45pm
Tooheys Cup 1st Grade - Rockingham v South Perth 3:15pm

Perth Red

Post Whore
Well done Rockingham, a massive upset! Lets hope they can put on a better performance than the semi v's Sth's.

joondalup_giant

Staff member
all 3 of rockinghams senio sides are in the Grand final, thats a great achievment for there club

Perth Red

Post Whore
They have performed really well this season and lets hope they keep the momentum. the WARL could do with another club to break up the Nth Beach, Sth's duopoloy! At one point a few seasons back it looked like the Giants may become contenders but you guys seemed to have slipped back into the chasing pack again.

joondalup_giant

Staff member
we had the potential to this year, on paper we had quite a good YOUNG side. just lack direction at the moment. 09 will be the year of the giants!!

hope this weekends grandfinal isnt a flogging

Nuke

Staff member
Haha!
I don't mean this to sound derogitory to North Beach, but thank f--k they're not a part of Grand Final day this year. I am sick to bloody death of every year it being North Beach vs South Perth in the Grand Final. I would also have liked to have seen another team there in place of South Perth, but you can't win 'em all! Like PerthRed and Joondalup_Giant said, lets just hope that Rockingham don't get absolutely spanked like they did 2 weeks ago. 80-4 in a semi-final is just rediculous. For it to happen in a Grand Final would be even worse.

Go the Sharks!
... and go Kalgoorlie in the Women's Grand Final!

b0rt

Juniors
Haha!
I don't mean this to sound derogitory to North Beach, but thank f--k they're not a part of Grand Final day this year. I am sick to bloody death of every year it being North Beach vs South Perth in the Grand Final. I would also have liked to have seen another team there in place of South Perth, but you can't win 'em all! Like PerthRed and Joondalup_Giant said, lets just hope that Rockingham don't get absolutely spanked like they did 2 weeks ago. 80-4 in a semi-final is just rediculous. For it to happen in a Grand Final would be even worse.

Go the Sharks!
... and go Kalgoorlie in the Women's Grand Final!

i kinda agree, but woulda much preferred it was the lions who missed out!

joondalup_giant

Staff member
Last weeks Union Grand Final had a preview with a photo in thursdays west australian. So i was hoping the WARL would have had someething during the week or atleast in 2days paper but alas...nothing. no wonder RugbyWA is kicking our ass over here, the local Grand Final doesnt even get any coverage.

Nuke

Staff member
Yep, that's the main thing ...!

Welcome to the League Unlimited forums Kilmo, and in particular to the WARL section. It's good to see another WA-based person in here. There's a few of us around!

Kilmo(SP)

Juniors
Glad to be here.....didn't mean to gloat before either....but in 16 years of league for South Perth (Juniors and Seniors) this is my first premiership win...

And to their credit, Rockingham put up a strong fight in Reserves....

Nuke

Staff member
Ah, you're a reggie eh? I'm a player for Joondalup's Premier-Grade side, while Joondalup_Giant plays First-Grade.

I know what it's like to wait a long time for a premiership: I've been playing since the U-13's (well, I took a couple of years off in my mid-teens) and have only played in one Grand Final - 2004's Premier-Third Grade win over Willagee. I've been involved in the 2000 Giants Reserve-Grade win, and the 2001 Giants Reserve-Grade loss, but didn't play in either of those games.

It's a good feeling to win one!

Kilmo(SP)

Juniors
It sure is, but I take nothing away from all the sides we played this year, they were all awesome games.....I know some of the scorelines don't really reflect it. But for instance, our last game against the Giants up and Arena.....you guys kept coming back, and coming back....and thats what this game is all about...

b0rt

Juniors
Ah, you're a reggie eh? I'm a player for Joondalup's Premier-Grade side, while Joondalup_Giant plays First-Grade.

I know what it's like to wait a long time for a premiership: I've been playing since the U-13's (well, I took a couple of years off in my mid-teens) and have only played in one Grand Final - 2004's Premier-Third Grade win over Willagee. I've been involved in the 2000 Giants Reserve-Grade win, and the 2001 Giants Reserve-Grade loss, but didn't play in either of those games.

It's a good feeling to win one!
dw mate the colts this year was the first grandfinal i won
definately a good feeling!