What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2008 World Cup shaping up to be a Gem!

tye

Juniors
WOO HOO can not wait the 2008 league world cup. It will be the greatest event ever. Who is hosting it? Aus NZ or eng. What a joke of an "event" it is. Why bother we should concentrate on getting the NRL on the same level as Union and the Afl.

aussies1st

Staff member
carlnz said:
Please tell me one club in the NRL that does not have Kiwi Juniors or Kiwi players in it?

There is no question kiwis are in those sides but they always have more aus players than NZ. And then you have the PL teams. Aus will always have more depth its a way of life.

hutch

First Grade
tye said:
WOO HOO can not wait the 2008 league world cup. It will be the greatest event ever. Who is hosting it? Aus NZ or eng. What a joke of an "event" it is. Why bother we should concentrate on getting the NRL on the same level as Union and the Afl.

yeah the union club comp is going great guns, not to mention the afl international scene. what a stupid post, you obviously have no idea what you are on about. we are the only code with a strong club comp, strong interstate rivallry (origin) as well as being played in over 30 countries. the world cup is the missing link, and i for one, cannot wait for it. to me, it will be the greatest event ever. it will be a success, which will grow into a bigger event over the years, and people like you will eat their words.

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
carlnz said:
Please tell me one club in the NRL that does not have Kiwi Juniors or Kiwi players in it?

Who have the Dragons and the Bronco's got who would pull on a black and white jersey?

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
no.5_luke covell said:
add covell, stosic to that list.

Hand off it mate.

Where does luke 'newtown jet' covell fit in the kiwis? Vatuvei and Webster will undoubtly take the wings ahead of NJ anytime.

morri (cWo)

First Grade
JamesWebster's#1fan said:
Hand off it mate.

Where does luke 'newtown jet' covell fit in the kiwis? Vatuvei and Webster will undoubtly take the wings ahead of NJ anytime.

not if they are looking for rep experiance. covell played for NSW and country.

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
Big_Bad_Shark_Fan said:
with the likes of sonny bill williams, luke covell and benji marshall, 3 of the nrls hottest prospects, NZ will really really give that WC a shake.

You stopped being funny after about your 2nd thread dedicated to covell. Please take a hint an p!ss off.

Covell, one of the 3 hottest prospects?? thats just pathetic.

He doesnt even deserve to be in the same line as any of the mediocre wingers, never mind superstars of the game.

Tell me please, if Covell is so good why did wests get rid of him and favour Fitzhenry? If Covell is so good how come he couldnt keep his place in the Sharks? surely if hes that good, then no matter what kind of reason you come up with cant be good enough. Tell me if Covell is SO good then why did the sharks buy a winger to the name of Alberts? If Covell is that good why has it taken him 3 years in NRL without even reaching 50 games? (2003,2004 and 2005).

While you finish jerkin off over covell and think of some answers, please stop with this dribble.

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
no.5_luke covell said:
not if they are looking for rep experiance. covell played for NSW and country.

Covell has NEVER played for NSW.

He got selected for country...who were the other country wingers to pick from?

morri (cWo)

First Grade
JamesWebster's#1fan said:
Covell has NEVER played for NSW.

He got selected for country...who were the other country wingers to pick from?

Marshall CHALK
Mark HUGHES
Anthony QUINN
Matt PETERSEN
Timana TAHU
Joel MONOGHAN
Amos ROBERTS
Matt KING
Chris HICKS

off the top of my head. just to name a few.

Big Bunny

Juniors
dubby said:
England on their own won't have a chance. No Farrell, Radlinski, Newton and Sculthorpe and Cunningham will be old by then.

NZ are our biggest threat IF they post a full strength team.

France are up and down, RU steal all their good players anyway. PNG, no hope.
Wales are like France. Forget the rest.

I would love to see it competitive, I really would. But it will be between the same countries (Aus, NZ, England) with the others making up the numbers and the Aus media bagging the absolute crap out of it.

I only hope some serious developement has gone into some of these countries otherwise it will do alot of harm to the credibility to the game of RL, and RU will laugh its snotty nose off and remind us how good their world cup was.

Please IRL, plan this properly. Please.

French RL loses an occasional player to union, most of whom are coming back to rugby league. That trickle outward was nowhere near "all their good" players though. From next year there won't be any more losses and they will go from part timers to fulltime pro in the ESL. If you've actually paid attention to French results you'd know that they are hardly up and down. They are steadily improving, as their results against NZ, Australia and Toulouse's efforts in the Challenge Cup proved.

You've mentioned Wales, despite not noting that when the last world cup was played there were no clubs actually based in Wales. For the past few years there has been the Welsh conference, countless junior teams and from next year a pro club playing in NL2. Despite all of this and their fortunes rising you still ignored the fact that both Ireland and Scotland will field stronger teams than the Welsh come 2008. Judging Wales on their last effort against Australia is just silly.

Knocking PNG is well and fine, yet you managed to totally skip the fact that Tonga, Samoa and Fiji all have the capacity to field much stronger teams and a part of that will be on show in the upcoming Test at Campbelltown.

WC 2008 will be a much more competitive tournament than in 2000

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
no.5_luke covell said:
Marshall CHALK
Mark HUGHES
Anthony QUINN
Matt PETERSEN
Timana TAHU
Joel MONOGHAN
Amos ROBERTS
Matt KING
Chris HICKS

off the top of my head. just to name a few.

And lets see through this season, which of those players would get get selected ahead if they were a re-match..... Hughs and possibly Quinn and thats it.

JasonE

Bench
Can someone post a full Tongan side with NRL/ESL players available, such as Kite,Vainikolo, Haumono etc

Sun_Down

Juniors
tye said:

You are the joke...idiot

dubby

Bench
You've mentioned Wales, despite not noting that when the last world cup was played there were no clubs actually based in Wales. For the past few years there has been the Welsh conference, countless junior teams and from next year a pro club playing in NL2. Despite all of this and their fortunes rising you still ignored the fact that both Ireland and Scotland will field stronger teams than the Welsh come 2008. Judging Wales on their last effort against Australia is just silly.

Knocking PNG is well and fine, yet you managed to totally skip the fact that Tonga, Samoa and Fiji all have the capacity to field much stronger teams and a part of that will be on show in the upcoming Test at Campbelltown.

WC 2008 will be a much more competitive tournament than in 2000[/QUOTE]

Its encouraging thats for sure, but its only in the last 3 years ors so that this has occurred. These countries, while improving, are not even Premier League standard yet. I do hope they get better, 2012 might be a contest. I'd love Rl international standads to be high, and God willing they should be one day, but I am just wary of the publics perception and what the media will do (esp the Daily AFL)

carlnz

Bench
What a lot of people don’t know about Wales is they have some of the best up and coming talent coming through in the UK. They have a good secondary school set up and I they had three born and bread players make the U18 GB team.

They won’t come close in 2008 but will push some of the better nations if they can get these young kids through.

For the first time ever many nations are taking International Rugby League seriously, 2008 will be a very good world cup, but come 2012 it will be a ripper.

I also read some where that out of all the juniors playing in the Jersey Flegg and other comps, their is something like 80 players that are of Kiwi Origin, 60 of Tongan and 40 odd Samoan.

Take little steps and wait for 2012.