What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2009 NSW 16s and 18s Teams

lifesgood

Juniors
Fairly good side

Faleula Finau should of been picked in front of Rokoqo.
Josh Portlock shouldnt of made.

Joseph Leilua, David Uhi, Ethan Cook, Faleula Finau, Junior Rogica are all players that I would of had in that side.

fortae

Bench
TYRES & MORE QUEENSLAND UNDER 18s

1. Lachlan MARANTA - Norths Devils
2. Dane GAGAI - Brisbane Broncos
3. Dale COPLEY - Brisbane Broncos
4. Justin O’NEILL - Melbourne Storm
5. Joshua JEROME - Melbourne Storm
6. Michael MORGAN - NQ Cowboys
7. Jordan RANKIN - Gold Coast Titans
8. Luke PAGE - Gold Coast Titans
9. Kurt BAPTISTE - Brisbane Broncos
10. Jake SEATON - Penrith Panthers
11. Chris McLEAN - NQ Cowboys
12. Korbin SIMS - Norths Devils
13. Pat O’HANLON - Parramatta Eels

14. Gary RICCARDI - Manly Sea Eagles
15. Joshua ROSE - Townsville Stingers
16. Leon TAYLOR - Gold Coast Titans
17. Michael Parker-Walsh - NQ Cowboys

June 9 - 2009

http://www.qrl.com.au/display.php?pg_id=4734

BOMAR

Juniors
Fairly good side

Joseph Leilua, David Uhi, Ethan Cook, Faleula Finau, Junior Rogica are all players that I would of had in that side.
I noticed pat politoni made it. He was not good enough to make nsw ccc just goes to show alot of different opinions and agendas.

lifesgood

Juniors
I noticed pat politoni made it. He was not good enough to make nsw ccc just goes to show alot of different opinions and agendas.

It does show exactly that!!
But mainly agendas and favoritisms

Joe Grima is the coach isnt he?
Sharks 20s coach
Joseph Rokoqo and Chad Townsend were both surprising decisions, not taking anything away from them!
It was like last year Albert Kelly was picked when he didnt stand out in SG Ball. Joe Grima was his Sg Ball coach

I strongly agree with you 'lifesgood'.
How Chad Townsend got in i do not know. Sure he is a solid player but i believe even as a sharkies fan i am amazed Canberra Raiders u20s halfback Sam Williams did not get in. Sam has been playing some great football and leading his side to a top 4 position. Townsend has not been performing for mine under pressure before the side was made. I watcheed several of his games before the side was named and he in my oppinion has been fairly ordinary. Williams however has impressed me very well. He set up the try that levelled the game in the last minute last weekend against South Sydney. I myself am not one to pick a side on stats although i have seen stats that put Williams very far ahead of Townsend for the New South Wales under 18s spot.
Here are each of the players stats so far this season in the toyota cup -

Townsend - stats
RoundOpponentPosTryGlsPtsMinsLBLBATARunsMtrsTcksMissOffTBrkKcksKMtrsKRetKRMErr
7RabbitohsHB012800003131631015512002
8RoostersHB024800003151242113436000
10PanthersHB024800012162310114529002
11DragonsHB036800012101120013385001
12EelsHB0008000016213009223003
Totals5 Games08164000021160831332642085008

Williams - stats
RoundOpponentPosTryGlsPtsMinsLBLBATARunsMtrsTcksMissOffTBrkKcksKMtrsKRetKRMErr
1TigersHB00080101459164129275001
2RoostersHB10480100911710001489000
3EelsHB0008000111117201246000
4CowboysHB000802017116214086161002
5SharksHB0008004343791038210000
6TitansHB0008000053014410249001
7BulldogsHB000800001711200271001
10StormHB00080000129100392000
11WarriorsHB00080011863112234201001
12RabbitohsHB1048002254113110336000
Totals10 Games2088004794548313121518431230006

I will point out certain stats seperating the form of each player keeping in mind Towsend has only played 5 matches.

*Runs - Townsend 11 average of 2 a game - Williams 49 for season note he actually had 6 against storm. average of 5 a game

*Try assists - Townsend 2 - Williams last five games 3 (9 for season)

*line break assists -Townsend 0 - Williams last five games 3 (7 for season)

*Line breaks - Townsend 0 - Williams 4 for season

Williams has also scored two tries for the season

Now again i am not huge on picking a player simply on stats but from my knowledge of watching them both play and looking at stats Williams far outranks Townsend on form. I am simply very surprised Williams missed out on the number 7 jersey. Even if i am a huge sharkies fan, Williams was robbed!

Last edited by a moderator:

aqua_duck

Coach
Fairly good side

you'd think Roqica and Cook would be amongst the 1st players picked being 2008 aust schoolboys reps and having spent all season in NYC
Also I thought Boyd Cordner would've got in

fortae

Bench
you'd think Roqica and Cook would be amongst the 1st players picked being 2008 aust schoolboys reps and having spent all season in NYC
Also I thought Boyd Cordner would've got in

Cordner would have been one of the first picked. He has a broken jaw.

Roqica could be injured, though not sure.

BOMAR

Juniors
can someone please explain how ryan james can play for nsw origin and then 3 weeks later play for qld schoolboys. also while on subject how can slade play for nsw if his first rep game is for melb. very confusing.

girvie

Staff member
can someone please explain how ryan james can play for nsw origin and then 3 weeks later play for qld schoolboys. also while on subject how can slade play for nsw if his first rep game is for melb. very confusing.

Ryan James played his junior football in NSW however if he goes to school in Qld then he qualifies for the qld schoolboy sides.

I have no idea how Slade Griffin qualifies for NSW - he was signed by Melbourne from NZ. So unless he previously lived and played junior football in NSW then I don't understand how he could qualify.

junior fan

Juniors

The explanation I was given is if they play in the NSW competition then they are eligible for NSW hence in both the 16s and 18s players who played for the titans in ball and matts were chosen for nsw and also explains slade as part of the storm in the NSW comp. Although the ridiculous situation comes when they play for 20s. As this is an NRL competition it isnt governed by the state boundaries hence Pat OHanlon can be eligible for QLD again. The whole system needs to be looked at. There are NSW boys signed to the broncos playing in Cyril Connell and Mal Meninga who couldnt be picked for NSW and QLD didnt want to consider NSW residents so they werent given a chance with anyone. Also Ryan can play in schoolboys for QLD as the school competition is solely on where he is at school. All too messy!

APRIL BELLE

Juniors
The explanation I was given is if they play in the NSW competition then they are eligible for NSW hence in both the 16s and 18s players who played for the titans in ball and matts were chosen for nsw and also explains slade as part of the storm in the NSW comp.

No this is wrong.That only applies to the under 16. Under 18 is on their Origin Eligibility. Where they played their first club game after their 16th birthday or where they played their first Arrive Alive Game (not Arrive Alive Qualifier ) after their 16th birthday.

Although the ridiculous situation comes when they play for 20s. As this is an NRL competition it isnt governed by the state boundaries hence Pat OHanlon can be eligible for QLD again. The whole system needs to be looked at.

Pat O'Hanlon played first grade in Mackay last year aged 16.

There are NSW boys signed to the broncos playing in Cyril Connell and Mal Meninga who couldnt be picked for NSW and QLD didnt want to consider NSW residents so they werent given a chance with anyone.

Eg : Caleb Binge got selected for Qld U16 because he was playing in the Qld comp. The Cyril Connell is a rep. comp and not a club competition so he has not qualified for Qld on an Origin basis. If he plays club footy at Byron Bay this year he will be a NSW Origin Player and will have to make the NSW U18 team even though he is moving to Qld next year and will try to make the Qld Schoolboys team

Also Ryan can play in schoolboys for QLD as the school competition is solely on where he is at school. All too messy!

Ryan played club footy in NSW as a 16yo.

There is nothing messy about it when you understand the criteria.

Last edited:

BOMAR

Juniors
There is nothing messy about it when you understand the criteria.
thanks for the explanation. but you have not explained how a boy bought out from new zealand and playing for melb can qualify for nsw. The sgball and hm cup are not a nsw cup. It is a national comp, as teams from melb,northern territory qld and nsw played.

APRIL BELLE

Juniors
thanks for the explanation. but you have not explained how a boy bought out from new zealand and playing for melb can qualify for nsw. The sgball and hm cup are not a nsw cup. It is a national comp, as teams from melb,northern territory qld and nsw played.

The intrepretation of the 16 & 18 comps this year was that the Meninga and Connell Cups were QRL comps and SGBall and Harold Matts were NSWRL comps. If Brisbane Norths had of gone on to win the National Comp they would not have been the SG Ball winners. The highest placed NSW team (incl Melbourne) would have been the winner. The 2 comps came together for a National final.

Who is the kid you refer to?

If any1 saw the raiders v sharks today which i imagine many of you would have. Williams played all over townsend confirming my theory of how he did not get in ahead of townsend for origin 18s.
Williams had two try assists from memory scored. One himself! I think 2 line breaks and a very good kicking game. Townsend however again i believe was quiet ordinary not running the ball or assisting the sharks attack in any way. Had a decent kicking game but like every single week that is about all!

lifesgood

Juniors
If any1 saw the raiders v sharks today which i imagine many of you would have. Williams played all over townsend confirming my theory of how he did not get in ahead of townsend for origin 18s.
Williams had two try assists from memory scored. One himself! I think 2 line breaks and a very good kicking game. Townsend however again i believe was quiet ordinary not running the ball or assisting the sharks attack in any way. Had a decent kicking game but like every single week that is about all!

Its just shows how much mistakes they constantly make at this age group!

SOO

Juniors

The right side has never been picked in any age group. I don't think townsend is the right choice at 7 but it would be hard to look good in that sharks side he has got no one around him giving him any options at all where as williams is playing on the back of a good foward pack and got some good outside backs also with picker as well this takes alot of pressure of him where as towsend had to do everything i though he did ok yesterday but yeah no running game looks slow. Also how did moses pangi not make the side?

fortae

Bench
The Canberra-Cronulla game was completely dictated by the forwards. When Cronulla were rolling forward Townsend was doing the right things ... when Canberra were rolling forward, which ended up being most of the game, Williams was doing the right things.

The one play that stood out as being different was when Canberra got one of their rare touches early in attacking position and Williams kicked it over the in-goal. Townsend made his judgement errors too, but Williams had no pressure on him.

It's a 50/50 call, there are similar in many areas ... and Townsend's kicking game may have got him across the line. Also Townsend has usually been in the weaker team, which is an advantage in seeing what players can do in those circumstances.

This is the second year of this age group ... 12 months on and last year's team seems pretty well justified.

They are very near spot on this year, when you consider injuries, as they were last year. They named 10 that I had in March ... and I didn't know who was eligible from Melbourne. Halfback ended up a race in two. Centre and wing was effected by injury as was the backrow/bench. No one could figure out who the third prop would be ... Pangai is the big miss for me too.

10 years ago the selections were average (below 50%) but they've got better and better. I was reading here last year and someone questioned the under 16s selections, namely Hopoate ... we know how that turned out.