What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2009 QLD Team

Pigskin

Juniors
Kemp lol. please do pick him.

ummm perhaps you may wish to look at your side

I could play on the wing and we still win in a canter !

And I agree with somebody above, Kemp outside Inglis ... holy cow he could have a field day

Its also quite humourous those sticking up for Boyd, Dragons fans I presume - you'll learn the hard way, we did (Edit - actually, you probly won't learn, you guys love mediocrity - we don't accept it) ... the Origin spot was never going to be his until Michaels got injured

Oink !

Last edited:

Joker's Wild

Coach
Its also quite humourous those sticking up for Boyd, Dragons fans I presume - you'll learn the hard way, we did (Edit - actually, you probly won't learn, you guys love mediocrity - we don't accept it) ... the Origin spot was never going to be his until Michaels got injured

Oink !

I am not a Dragons fan but out of Boyd and Kemp, Boyd has had the better season so far. I always thought Darius was well over rated but the move to the Dragons and the shift to fullback has done wonders for his game. He also looks like he has put on a good 2-3 kgs of muscle to and it shows in the number of tackle breaks he has been making.

Seems all he needed was to get away from the Broncos to take his game up a notch.

BTW Boyd > Michaels by a long way

juuniorfan

Juniors
I don't think Inglis will be on the wing, so I'd say swap Inglis with Folau.
Aren't the Broncos working on a Folau/Hodges combo on one side? Or is Folau being placed at centre?

Either way, in terms of centres Inglis>Folau, so Mal will choose accordingly.

Agree.. Inglis is a better centre then Folau. I think Hodges and Folau if fit enough on the right side, and it would have been Inglis and Tate on the other side. But Tate is out for the year, so I wouldn't complain with Michaels Boyd or Kemp, But Michaels I think would be the better option.

Or even Slater. I think Karmichael has to be fullback.

1 K.Hunt
2 S.Michaels/D.Boyd
3 G.Inglis
4 J.Hodges
5 I.Folau
6 D.Lockyer
7 J.Thurston
8 S.Price
9 C.Smith
10 P.Civonceiva
11 S.Thaiday
12 N.Myles
13 D.Johnson

14 B.Hannant
15 D.Taylor/D.Shillington/C.Parker
16 M.Luck/A.Kaufusi/C.Webb/D.Stagg
17 B.Slater

Lycon79

Juniors
This should be the team...

1.Karmichael Hunt
2.Steve Michaels
3.Greg Inglis
4.Justin Hodges
5.Israel Folau
6.Darren Lockyer (C)
7.Scott Prince
8.Petero Civoniceva
9.Cam Smith - Goal Kicker
10.Steve Price
11.Nate Myles
12.Sam Thaiday
13.Dallas Johnson

14.Billy Slater
15.Dave Taylor/Nick Kenny
16.Carl Webb
17.Ben Hannant

Maybe Kemp instead of michaels so we have a back up kicker . Although Prince is playing better and deserves his go JT will get the nod out of loyalty.

Dazzat

First Grade
Good team .. but needs a little more mobility in the pack. Too many big hombres and we'll get found out in the last 15 minutes ... Ashley Harrison or Neville Costigan are two options. Does anyone know what's happening with Michael Crocker?

Nightward

Juniors
Crocker's still appealing his work Visa.

I dunno that they'd take a punt on a player who had been out of the NRL (suggestions are no clubs really have room under the cap to hire him unless he wants 50 cents a game or something, but AFAIK he wants a long-term contract, so...) but Meninga was willing to take a punt on PJ Marsh. You'd have to think it would be a bit unlikely, though.

abpanther

Staff member
Just wanted to raise the point that Mick Gordon is a QLDer, I think he would do a good job on the wing for the Maroons if required, has been our best and most consistent back for the past 3 years, plus he's a sharpshooter with the boot.

League Legend

Juniors
1. Slater
2. Boyd
3. Inglis
4. Hodges
5. Falau
6. Lockyer (c)
7. Thurston
8. Price
9. Smith
10. Civoniceva
11. Thiaday
12. Harrison
13. Johnson

14. Bowen
15. Parker
16. Hannant
17. Taylor

Others with a chance, some slim to none:
Prince, Hunt, Michaels, Kaufusi, Webb, Stagg, Luck, Moon, Payne, Ballin, Tonga

League Legend

Juniors
Just for info, here is the list of eligibles from the QRL web site:

FULL list of players eligible to represent the XXXX Queensland Maroons in State of Origin for season 2009.

BRONCOS
Justin HODGES
Karmichael HUNT
Nick KENNY
Darren LOCKYER
PJ MARSH
Steve MICHAELS
Corey PARKER
David TAYLOR
Sam THAIDAY
LAGI SETU
ISRAEL FOLAU

BULLDOGS
Ben HANNANT
David STAGG

CANBERRA
Scott LOGAN
David SHILLINGTON

CRONULLA
Kevin KINGSTON
Ben ROSS
Brett SEYMOUR

GOLD COAST
William ZILLMAN
Brenton BOWEN
Nathan FRIEND
Ashley HARRISON
Brad MEYERS
Luke O’DWYER
Scott PRINCE
Mat ROGERS
Chris WALKER

MANLY
Michael BANI
Matt BALLIN
Steve BELL
Luke WILLIAMSON

MELBOURNE
Scott ANDERSON
Will CHAMBERS
Cooper CRONK
Greg INGLIS
Dallas JOHNSON
Dane NIELSEN
Billy SLATER
Cameron SMITH

NEWCASTLE
- -

NORTH QUEENSLAND
Grant ROVELLI

Antonio KAUFUSI
Donald MALONE
Shannon HEGARTY
Willie TONGA
Clint AMOS
Scott BOLTON
Matthew BOWEN
Travis BURNS
Sam FAUST
Ashley GRAHAM
Aaron PAYNE
Matt SCOTT
Johnathan THURSTON
Shane TRONC
Anthony WATTS
Carl WEBB
Ty WILLIAMS

PARRAMATTA
Daniel WAGON
Anthony MITCHELL

PENRITH
Matt BELL
Maurice BLAIR
PETERO CIVONICEVA
Gavin COOPER

ST GEORGE ILLAWARRA
Nick EMMETT

Kirk REYNOLDSON
Darius BOYD
Neville COSTIGAN

SOUTH SYDNEY
Chris SANDOW
Jamie SIMPSON
Ben LOWE
Jaiman LOWE
RHYS WESSER

SYDNEY ROOSTERS
Nate MYLES
Ben JONES

WARRIORS
Micheal LUCK
Steve PRICE
Michael WITT
Brent TATE
Denan KEMP
Joel MOON
Jacob LILLYMAN

WESTS TIGERS
- -

Iafeta

Referee
Be a fairly neat trick for Witt to be eligible since he plays kick and giggle now.

Liam

Juniors
I would have thought Junior Sau would be eligible for QLD since he played U17s, U18s and U19s for them and his junior team was Logan Brothers.

Talanexor

Juniors
League Legend,

Bowen's form has been terrible of late. He's recovering from major knee surgery and has only just learnt how to run again. I think he's a far better player than Hunt, but he won't be anywhere near his best until the finals, if at all this season. I'd go with Hunt to start and Slater to come on once the NSW forwards start to tire.

And I wouldn't pick Taylor for Origin just yet. He can't play enough minutes, even though he's much fitter than he was this time last year. Go with Kenny or Harrison.

I'd also go out on a limb and put Prince and Thurston in the halves. Lockyer's had his time in the sun - he's well past his prime now. Not taking anything away from the bloke, he's one of the best players to ever don the Maroon jersey - but QLD would be better served by a more dynamic halves pairing in Thurston and Prince.

By the way - has anyone come up with a QLD 2nd 17? I reckon that Queensland just have enough talent running around at the moment we'd be able to put together a second-choice team that could still beat NSW.

1. Bowen
2. Gordon
3. Rogers
4. Tonga/Graham
5. Kemp
6. Lockyer/Thurston/Prince
7. Cronk/Sandow
8. Kaufusi
9. Payne/Friend
10. Logan
11. Shillington
12. Costigan
13. Stagg

14. Burns/Zillman/Marsh
15. Lillyman
16. Luck
17. Setu

League Legend

Juniors
I put Bowen on the bench, if he can stay injury free until Origin then I think he will gain enough form to get a spot and he is just the sort of player to swing a game if needed. I know I know he can also loose it too but I just think you need some spark off the bench that he can provide.
Taylor should get a bench spot, this may be Petro's and Price's last Origin series so we need to blood someone now not next year when we have no choice. And come on Lockyer will play, you know it, I know it, everyone knows it.

He's a crack at my second 17

1. Hunt
2. Kemp
3. Michaels
4. Rogers
5. Chambers
6. Prince (c)
7. Cronk
8. Kaufusi
9. Payne
10. Kenny
11. Webb
12. Myles
13. Stagg

14. Zillman
15. Tronc
16. Luck
17. Lillyman

Last edited:

Liam

Juniors
First string:
1. Hunt
2. Boyd
3. Inglis
4. Hodges
5. Folau
6. Lockyer
7. Prince
8. Price
9. Smith
10. Petero
11. Myles
12. Thaiday
13. Johnson

14. Slater
15. Webb
16. Hannant
17. Harrison

Second string:
1. Bowen
2. Kemp
3. Chambers
4. Rogers
5. Michaels
6. Thurston
7. Cronk
8. Kafusi
9. Friend
10. Tronc
11. Stagg
12. Luck
13. Parker

14. Payne
15. Kenny
16. Taylor
17. Costigan

Last edited:

lifesgood

Juniors
First string:
1. Hunt
2. Boyd
3. Inglis
4. Hodges
5. Folau
6. Lockyer
7. Prince
8. Price
9. Smith
10. Petero
11. Myles
12. Thaiday
13. Johnson

14. Slater
15. Webb
16. Hannant
17. Harrison

Second string:
1. Bowen
2. Kemp
3. Chambers
4. Rogers
5. Michaels
6. Thurston
7. Cronk
8. Kafusi
9. Friend
10. Tronc
11. Stagg
12. Luck
13. Parker

14. Payne
15. Kenny
16. Taylor
17. Costigan

LMAO at you having Thurston in second string side

Did anyone hear Mal Meninga on footy show thursday night? They asked him about the stability of the side over the last few years. He said Smith Thurston and Lokcyer in the halves is good stability

Liam

Juniors
LMAO at you having Thurston in second string side

Did anyone hear Mal Meninga on footy show thursday night? They asked him about the stability of the side over the last few years. He said Smith Thurston and Lokcyer in the halves is good stability

Prince played better in his two games than Thurston has played in four.