What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2009 QLD Team

fourplay

Juniors
Thurston should be the 5/8 ahead of Lockyer. Lockyer lives on his repuation and is overrated. He has been a complete dud at origin level and has never stood up and dominated a series the way Thurston has. Both Prince and Thurston are by far the better players.

6. Thurston
7. Prince

Scottey

Juniors
1 - Slater
2 - Folau
3 - Inglis
4 - Hodges
5 - Boyd
6 - Lockyer
7 - Thurston
8 - Price
9 - Smith
10 - Civinoceva
11 - Thaiday
12 - Harrisson
13 - Johnson

14 - Hunt
15 - Hannant
16 - Taylor
17 - Stagg

League Legend

Juniors
Thurston should be the 5/8 ahead of Lockyer. Lockyer lives on his repuation and is overrated. He has been a complete dud at origin level and has never stood up and dominated a series the way Thurston has. Both Prince and Thurston are by far the better players.

6. Thurston
7. Prince

Overrated? It's obvious you know what you are talking about. Like Lewis, Meninga, Langer I suppose?

Darren Lockyer

Most points in one season: 272 in 1998
Clive Churchill Medal Winner 2000
Club Player of the Year 2002,2003
Captain 2005-present
Dally M. Medal Five-Eighth of the Year 2006
Dally M. Medal Representitive Player of the Year 2006
Club Best Back Award 2001,2002,2003,2006
Highest capped Broncos player
Dally M. Medal Five-Eighth of the Year 2007
Played in 27 State of Origin Games, Man of the Match 3 times
Captained in 13 State of Origin Games ,Wally Lewis Medal for player of the series, 2006 ,7 Tries from 27 Games ,73 Points from 27 Games
Part of the Series Winning Sides in 1998, 2001, 2006 and 2007 (also drawn series in 1999 and 2002)
Captain of the Series Winning Sides in 2001, 2006 and 2007
36 Test Matches for Australia
Australian Kangaroos Captain 2003-present (20 of his 36 games as captain) ,27 Tries
2nd Highest Kangaroos try-Scorer behind Ken Irvine (33 tries).
Golden Boot Award for International Player of the Year 2003
Golden Boot Award for International Player of the Year 2006
Harry Sunderland Medal winner 2008

If I've missed anything, sorry.

typicalfan

Coach

6. Thurston
7. Prince
When did Thurston dominate an entire series? And please don't say last year. He was dreadful game 1.

mxlegend99

Referee
Just wanted to raise the point that Mick Gordon is a QLDer, I think he would do a good job on the wing for the Maroons if required, has been our best and most consistent back for the past 3 years, plus he's a sharpshooter with the boot.
I haven't seen any confirmation that Michael Gordon considers himself a QLD'er. He was born in NSW and his first senior footy was for a NSW team. His link to QLD is playing in the QLD Cup.

He could probably play for either according to the dodgy rules in place. But he should be playing for NSW.

If I was a selector I'd go with something like

1. Slater
2. Kemp
3. Boyd (in much better form than Hodges)
4. Inglis
5. Folau
6. Lockyer
7. Prince
8. Civonaceva
9. Smith
10. Price
11. Myles
12. Thaiday
13. Johnson

14. Hunt
15. Hannant
16. Myles
17. Harrison

abpanther

Staff member
I haven't seen any confirmation that Michael Gordon considers himself a QLD'er. He was born in NSW and his first senior footy was for a NSW team. His link to QLD is playing in the QLD Cup.

He could probably play for either according to the dodgy rules in place. But he should be playing for NSW.

My understanding is that selection rules state that a player can be selected for either Queensland or New South Wales depending on the "state in which they first played senior (or registered) rugby league.Players must also be eligible to represent Australia at international level"

So Michael Gordon is eligible to be selected for Queensland, as he first played senior RL for Tweed Seagulls, who play in the Queensland Cup

League Legend

Juniors
My understanding is that selection rules state that a player can be selected for either Queensland or New South Wales depending on the "state in which they first played senior (or registered) rugby league.Players must also be eligible to represent Australia at international level"

So Michael Gordon is eligible to be selected for Queensland, as he first played senior RL for Tweed Seagulls, who play in the Queensland Cup

The only reason I see that Gordon would not be eligibile to play for QLD is that the Tweed Seagulls club is located in NSW.

typicalfan

Coach
Michael Gordon is not a Qlder.

He played in the QLD Cup for a NSW side and apart from that his whole childhood was in NSW. And also I swear he himself is a Blues supporter.

hutch

First Grade

6. Thurston
7. Prince

ah, no! lockyer thoroughly deserves his spot as both qld and aus five eigth and captain.

andirect

Juniors
how some of you are putting steve michaels in the team is beyond me. he is hardly fit for a broncos jersey the way he is going (im a broncos supporter). it'd be the worst selection since rhys wesser.

aside from that, darius is playing out of his skin at the dragons and is a natural left winger.

1. Slater
2. Boyd
3. Inglis
4. Hodges
5. Folau
6. Lockyer
7. Thurston
8. Price
9. Smith
10. Civ
11. Myles
12. Thaiday
13. Johnson

14. Hunt
15. Hannant
16. Harrison
17. Luck

Dazzat

First Grade
Can't see the sense in having a player like Luck on the bench. We need impact - Sailor will give us that.

jh96

Juniors
1. Slater
2. Hunt
3. Boyd
4. Inglis
5. Folau
6. Lockyer
7. Thurston
8. Price
9. Smith
10. Civoniceva