What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2010 Charity Shield 27 feb

_Johnsy

Referee
TBH I think this year may well be the best CS we have had for many years. As the article says it is the un-official beginning to the season. Cannot wait.

http://www.dragons.com.au/default.aspx?s=article-display&id=22020&dragons-&-rabbitohs-launch-charity-shield

DRAGONS & RABBITOHS LAUNCH CHARITY SHIELD
Wednesday, 27 January 2010

The St George Illawarra Dragons have today held a joint media conference with the South Sydney Rabbitohs launching the 27th annual Charity Shield match to be played between the two clubs on Saturday, February 27 at ANZ Stadium.
The match is generally regarded as the unofficial start to the NRL season and will serve as both teams final trial before the start of the season proper on Friday, March 12.
New Dragons recruit and former Rabbitoh Michael Greenfield, said the Charity Shield is a game both sides take very seriously.
“I’ve played in a Charity Shield match before and it is certainly a match that both teams take great pride in winning and it’s always good to start the season on the right foot”, said Greenfield. “It’s also a good opportunity to put all of the work from a long pre-season in training into practice”.
A record Charity Shield crowd was set for ANZ Stadium at last year’s match with 25,871 fans in attendance, and with the Dragons and Rabbitohs in a close battle to become the first NSW club to reach 10,000 members in 2010, this year’s crowd is sure to be even bigger.
The Charity Shield began in 1982 and so too did the tradition of supporting local charities and causes. In 2010 proceeds from the Charity Shield will support St George and Wollongong Public Hospitals along with other Dragons Community programs.
The Dragons will also raise awareness for the St. George Foundation, established in 1990 by St. George Bank, the major partner of the St George Illawarra Dragons, to assist children from birth to 18 years of age with special needs.
The game also serves as a showcase of the work that Dragons Community does in the local St George and Illawarra communities.
Dragons Community is a strategic initiative introduced in 2008 to help people within our community make positive choices. Dragons Community is a key department within the Club that has developed a comprehensive program that aims to have a positive impact on the lives of people within our community that stretches from Kogarah in the north to Batemans Bay in the south.
The Dragons work with a variety of community organisations to deliver programs across eight key pillars. They are:
- Health
- Education
- Mentoring
- Women & Girls
- Grassroots Rugby League
- Charity
- Cultural
- Environmental
Results
In the 26 Charity Shield matches contested since 1982, the Dragons have won 14 times, Rabbitohs 9 and 3 draws. Since St George Illawarra was formed in 1999, the Charity Shield has been played seven times – Dragons 2 wins, Rabbitohs 5 wins; 1 draw.
Ticketing Information
Tickets for the annual Charity Shield went on sale this morning to the General Public at 9am through Ticketek on 132 849 or www.ticketek.com.au. Below is a list of ticket prices:

Type Category 1 Category 2
Adult $35 $25
Concession $25 $15
Junior $15 $10
Family $75 $55

Yeah you know the season is close when this game comes around. It's always a good game , there is plenty of feeling usually.

$25 for general admission for a trial, what a f**king joke, deadset $20 at the most for all tickets. And $35 for reserved seating LOL. Add on ticketeks $5 charge per ticket + $5 postage.

Kidding themselves.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
In time the All-Stars vs Indigenous game will come to represent the 'unofficial' kick off to the new season. But footy is only around the corner when the CS is upon us. And it has felt like an incredibly long off-season to me so I can't wait.

The Rabbitohs and Dragons have launched the 2010 Charity Shield at ANZ Stadium today, signaling the start to a one-month countdown to the feature pre-season Club match on the NRL calendar.

The 2010 Charity Shield, to be played on Saturday 27 February at 8pm, will see the Rabbitohs aiming for a hat-trick of victories and will be a chance for the South Sydney players to secure a jersey for the Club’s opening game of the season, the 200th meeting between the Rabbitohs and the Roosters at ANZ Stadium on Sunday 14 March.

South Sydney Head Coach John Lang was joined by captain Roy Asotasi, and new recruit and former Dragon Ben Ross in launching the 27th Charity Shield. The Rabbitohs were joined by St George Illawarra’s Head Coach Wayne Bennett, new recruit and former Rabbitoh Michael Greenfield, and Jamie Soward at the launch on the day tickets went on sale to the general public.

This year, Rabbitohs’ proceeds from the Charity Shield will support Souths Cares and their community programs such as the Teachers Aide program amongst schools in the South Sydney district and the Workplace Mentoring program conducted in Sydney and the Coffs Harbour region.

The Rabbitohs will also raise awareness for the Ovarian Cancer Research Foundation (OCRF) by wearing the ‘Silver Ribbon’ on the front of their jerseys for this match. Rabbitohs major Home corporate partner NAB is the founding partner of OCRF.

The Charity Shield crowd record for ANZ Stadium was set last year when 25,871 Members and supporters came to the Rabbitohs home ground to see the red and greens win their second straight Charity Shield.

The Rabbitohs and Dragons are in a head-to-head battle to become the first NSW Club to reach 10,000 Ticketed Members, with South Sydney urging their supporters to become a Ticketed Member for the 2010 season.

Rabbitohs Head Coach John Lang will field his strongest possible side in the Charity Shield.

“We’ll be fielding our best team as we put the final touches to our pre-season preparation and work towards round one,” Lang said.

“I think it will be exciting for our Members to see our new players on the field together at our home ground for the first time, and from a footy point of view it will be good for us to see how these guys perform in an NRL competition-style match.”

Rabbitohs captain Roy Asotasi said the Charity Shield is always a special occasion.

“This will be my fourth Charity Shield and it’s always a great game to play in,” Asotasi said.

“This will be our final chance to get things right on the field before we play the Roosters in round one so it’s much more than a trial game.

“It’s also good to be able to support Souths Cares and help raise awareness for the work done by OCRF.”

Rabbitohs recruit Ben Ross will be playing for a position in the Rabbitohs forward pack at the Charity Shield, pending receiving a clearance to play again on February 4.

“It’s been a long road back for me after breaking my neck last season and once I get the all-clear from the doctor on February 4, I’ll be setting my sights on the Charity Shield and round one,” Ross said.

“I made my first grade debut with the Dragons and I know the Charity Shield is important to both Clubs in terms of preparation for the season, and also off-field considerations such as a Membership and Sponsorship.

“I’m jumping out of my skin to play and hopefully I can perform well enough to play in the Charity Shield and to get a spot in the round one team.”

NRL CEO David Gallop also recognises the role the Charity Shield plays in kicking-off the new season.

“Today’s Charity Shield launch is a timely reminder that the season is fast approaching,” NRL Chief Executive, Mr David Gallop, said.
“The Telstra Premiership kicks off in just 44 days and before then we will have teams travelling across Australia for trial matches and for the game’s Community Carnival.”

Tickets for the 2010 Charity Shield are on sale to the general public now from Ticketek. To purchase tickets from Ticketek you can do so online by visiting www.ticketek.com.au, on the phone by calling 132 849, or by visiting any Ticketek agency.

Ticket prices are as follows:

Category 1 Reserved:

Adult - $35
Concession - $25
Junior - $15
Family - $75

Category 2 General Admission

Adult - $25
Concession - $15
Junior - $10
Family - $55

joe9x

Juniors
kaneklapqo6.gif
Hows the foundation cup going, does anyone care yet?

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/8894/kaneklapqo6.gif

Last edited:

Latest posts