What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2010 Crowd Watch II

dragondad

First Grade
lol ouwet is full of sh*t. Dogs fans were easily outnumbered that day.
We were close to 50/50 with Saints fans at the SCG, bit less at SFS.
Who the f**k wants to watch Monday night games against QLD teams? Nobody.

You just proved all of our points about Roosters fans.

You also were not 50/50 with Saints at the SCG.

dragondad

First Grade
I went to both, I'm just not particularly bothered about the low crowds. Monday Night Football exists purely for Foxtel.

Kudos to you for going out and supporting your team. Also on tonight's result, hope to see you and your fans for some pre-game beers and bantering at the Brewery!

Simo

First Grade
Looks like the Northern top stand is closed, so the maximum the crowd could be is around 44k.
Did they close that due to lack of sales (i.e. didnt open it unless they reached are target which they didnt) or was there some other reason you cant buy there?

Will be at tonights game, if its anything like the atmosphere of this game last year (dogs v parra) it will be worth every penny!

* what was rabs refering to about the crowd and the size, comparing it to Origin and something about a record??

Last edited:

dragondad

First Grade
So tonight will break the record for finals series attendances, am I right? Especially after just under 45k last night.

docbrown

Coach
So tonight will break the record for finals series attendances, am I right? Especially after just under 45k last night.

Not finals averages because they were bigger in the 60's and unless homebush is a sell out tonight, not finals attendances.

But we'll definitely break the total season aggregate and as long as we get more that 66k tonight we'll break the 2005 total season average of 17,337.

So it will be the biggest year ever in terms of averages and total attendances.

Last edited:

VictoryFC

Bench
45k is better than 27k, but its a shame teams cant play at their home grounds and are at the mercy of crowd maximisation.

parano1a

Juniors
100,016 at the MCG today. I was at today's AFL Grand Final and was also at the 1999 NRL Grand Final (Storm v Dragons) that drew the RL world record 106k+, and there is nothing like the atmosphere of a screaming 100k crowd.

Can anyone explain why ANZ Stadium reduced its capacity after the 2000 Olympics.... surely the NRL GF and Origin games would be much better in front of massive 100k crowds?

Desert Qlder

First Grade
100,016 at the MCG today. I was at today's AFL Grand Final and was also at the 1999 NRL Grand Final (Storm v Dragons) that drew the RL world record 106k+, and there is nothing like the atmosphere of a screaming 100k crowd.

Can anyone explain why ANZ Stadium reduced its capacity after the 2000 Olympics.... surely the NRL GF and Origin games would be much better in front of massive 100k crowds?

They have the internet on computers now. Can't you do a google search?

Teddyboy

First Grade

Yeah over 100000 is good when you have 36 players on a Cricket Oval but it just doesn't with Soccer,Rugby League and Union.

beave

Coach

sydney_aerial_olympic_stadium_l.jpg

you go and sit up the top of those northern and southern 'wings' and tell me who the f**k the players are because I sure as hell couldn't at the double header in 1999.............. I know you can't now, but you get what I mean...........

docbrown

Coach
And thus with that photo you see the problem with Stadium Australia itself. The lower bays are too far from the field and the tiers are at too low an angle. It's constructed for athletics/oval games, not rectangular ones.

Rugby League needs a new 55-60,000 stadium in Sydney that can service the Bulldogs, Eels, Tigers and possibly some Dragons & Rabbitohs matches.

If we had that it be the first step in seeing regular 30,000+ weekly crowds in Sydney for the big 4 teams.

The sets of 35,000 fans of each side tonight are still a fraction of their overall support and the NRL needs to convert those TV fans into game fans.

BTW

Confirmed - after the grand final sells out next week - a new record for total season aggregate attendance and total season average.