What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2010 Crowd Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teddyboy

First Grade
Mergers. We need no more than 4 teams in Sydney. You can't have 7k turning up to a game in a city of 4.5 million. It looks pathetic.
So true as i read that propsed future by Ken Artho about Rugby League back in the early 1980's and he wanted 4 Sydney teams back nearly 30 years ago.
I know i will get bagged off but i thought when Rugby Union turned pro both Rugby codes would of become one because Union would of become a faster better game yet i was proved wrong on 2 accounts by

1.there are still 2 codes of Rugby.

2.Union is a lot more boring now then what it was in the early 1990's.

gronkathon

First Grade
There was about 3,000 people at the SFS and I was one of them.

One of the smallest crowds I have witnessed at a NRL game in 10 years

djst

Juniors
With these sort of crowds how are they making $$$ or remaining viable.
You would think some games are costing $$$ or breaking even.

yakstorm

First Grade
It all depends on the club, and their stadium agreement as to whether they make any money or it costs them. Naturally Wests Tigers, Bulldogs and Rabbitohs have the best agreements, with each club getting $100K - $150K just to turn up.

Now as for the games this weekend, would they be costing the clubs any money. Well we know the Bulldogs are right with their ANZ Stadium deal. The Eels would have been fine with their strong membership numbers, and the strong pre-sales they got for the game. Both Friday night games had more tickets sold than people turn up and on a good night, there would have been 40K between the two matches.

Anyway as for the Sydney bashing, I really don't get it for this year. Sydney, Canberra and Melbourne are the only markets where crowds are up. New Zealand is down, Newcastle is down, and all three Queensland teams are down.

Clearly if the clubs are able to keep getting growth in crowds and memberships in Sydney, why even contemplate cutting them?

10425 at Canberra, I thought it would've been bigger. Really bad weekend for crowds thus far. Hopefully we get a few decent ones to finish on, but I wouldn't count on it, probably won't crack 100k for the round.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
11k at Brookie. Not expecting any more than 9k at ANZ tomorrow

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Apparently it's the end of RL in Sydney and NRL in general though :crazy: THE SKY IS FALLING!!! :crazy:

Oh wait, it's just rain...

Hass

Juniors
I'll admit it.

I am soft. I'd been looking forward to going to the Eels/Storm game all year, but just could not stomach going on Friday.

I'd already got soaked just going to work. Even with a golf umbrella and wet-weather gear I ended up getting drenched. My shoes were full of water (I think I need to buy some boots) and the bottom half of my jeans were ringing wet.

I had planned on having a drink with a fellow fan straight after work. He cancelled. Why? He had to go find his car - it was last seen floating down a street in St Peters. There were flash floods all over the place.

Two guys I was planning on going with had already pulled out on Wednesday on account of the weather. I made it another two days before I pulled the plug - but Friday was absolutely feral.

I am soft. Sue me.

10425 at Canberra, I thought it would've been bigger. Really bad weekend for crowds thus far. Hopefully we get a few decent ones to finish on, but I wouldn't count on it, probably won't crack 100k for the round.

We had a Wallabies test match in Canberra last night. Robbed us of 4-6,000.

Kudos to the Manly fans, that was a great crowd in the conditions, considering their terrible facilities.

Evenflow

Bench
Of all weekends to not have a single game in Queensland. Perfect weather up here.

As if we needed confirmation but this is yet just another example of the ineptness and unprofessionalism of the NRL. How the f**k can we have 3 teams in Queensland in the comp yet not have at least 1 of them playing there on any given weekend? You could understand to a point if it were a bye round and only half the teams were playing but it's not. There's no rational logic or excuse why you wouldn't schedule at least one of them to play up there.

Billythekid

First Grade
This seems like one potential benefit of having a team in WA that hasn't been mentioned much. I'm no expert but as far as im aware Perth tends to have far less rainy weather than we do. So it's one less team that would suffer the mid season slump.

parano1a

Juniors
As if we needed confirmation but this is yet just another example of the ineptness and unprofessionalism of the NRL. How the f**k can we have 3 teams in Queensland in the comp yet not have at least 1 of them playing there on any given weekend? You could understand to a point if it were a bye round and only half the teams were playing but it's not. There's no rational logic or excuse why you wouldn't schedule at least one of them to play up there.

That sort of scheduling is going to play right into the AFL's hands - next year there will be a game hosted in South East Queensland every single weekend with the Lions and Gold Coast alternating home/away games. Common sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts