What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2010 Recruitment

hybrid_tiger

Coach
I think you're selling Dwyer a bit short. I'm mega excited about his dveleopment. He's gonna be twice the player Flanagan and Trimarchi will ever be.

Galea was hopeless, yes he could hit a bit, but definitely had to be cut.

I definitely agree about Dwyer, he looks the goods so far.

I disagree about Galea. Was a great defender and was starting to find his feet in attack towards the back end of last year. In saying that he isn't a massive loss, but I think he would offer a bit more than Flanagan.

Big_Bad_Shark_Fan

First Grade
Tigers recruitment was ok at best if you ask me. From the goings

Gallant - Whether hes going good or bad this year, he was by far the best 1 we had at the club and deserved to stay. Wrong decision to let him go.

Tagive - Could be a big loss but its not our fault. He was obviously offered larger money at a better club and took it. If he turns out to be a superstar then I dont blame Sheens. I wouldnt of been getting into a bidding war over a player who had played a handfull of first grade games in a few years because of injury.

Collis - Was a good player for us. He never really did anything wrong. Hes a far better centre than Ayshford. I think he did need a new start though, cause he was hardly doing anything for us in his last few seasons.

Morris - Going well for Sharks, wasnt required at us.

Trimarchi - Please. Comparing him to Dwyer?

Galea and Payne - These guys were good defensive players but they are the exact type of players which I think at times are wrong with this club. They have all the heart dont get me wrong, and tehy are strong defenders but they really offered nothing in attack. How hard is it to find guys who can defend and take a good hitup?

Laurie - Could be a gun but I doubt hed ever make it. Put the money to our juniors

Halatau - decent player, going nowhere at the dogs by the looks of it. Needed a fresh start.

On the people who came

Brown , Daniela, Tupou - all outside backs when we already had plenty. Really werent neccessary, 1 maybe.

Tuquiri - great signing, but makes you ask why you needed to sign 3 more outside backs with him.

Mckinnon - great signing, but again to the first 3?

Flanagan - Okay signing, nothing over the moon.

Cayless - hasnt worked out but still might I think. needed a prop.

N.C.

Juniors
RE your thoughts on Halateu 'Your an idiot'.

He was possibly our best towards the back of 05 and definately throughout the finals.

Some of his dummy half running really layed the foundation for the rest of the boys.

Granted he had probably 2 bad seasons since but that doesnt warrant your comment regarding him to be one of the worst to ever wear the jersey. Idiot!

Possibly our best forward towards the back of '05? I don't think so.

Possibly our best dummy half runner towards the back end of '05 - on the back of quick play the balls on a fast track...

But that's hardly enough to secure a seat as an all-timer. He's done far more to stake a claim on the worst of all time than he has club hero.

Jeez, that's about as good as saying Sheens is the greatest coach we've ever had just 'cause he happened to be around when we won something...

westie

Bench
RE your thoughts on Halateu 'Your an idiot'.

He was possibly our best towards the back of 05 and definately throughout the finals.

Some of his dummy half running really layed the foundation for the rest of the boys.

Granted he had probably 2 bad seasons since but that doesnt warrant your comment regarding him to be one of the worst to ever wear the jersey. Idiot!

If you're gunna call someone an idiot, at least spell correctly. I've no time for you.

The Gambler

Juniors
Nothing wrong with some good hetro manlove lol,
Just means i can see some special abilitys in a player that makes watching them enjoyable. Anyway you have voiced your oppion and i have voiced mine and neither of us can ever be proven right or wrong as personal apraisals of players will always differ .
Fair enough.

R2Coupe

Juniors
With Fifita, Dwyer and Lui all making a successful transition to the NRL, Wests, Balmain and WTs must all get credit.

It is the identification, retention and recruitment at the junior level where the club will get the most value.

This is one of the club’s strengths and where we have a significant advantage over teams like the Roosters and Bulldogs.

I’d like the club to retain the best of the 2009 and 2010 NYC teams. There is no reason why Jackson, Shirnack, Mullaney, Hyland, our two NYC wingers, the Clarkes, Begovich and a few others can’t progress to the NRL.

Developing our juniors involves less risk and is significantly cheaper than buying from another club.

Direct

Juniors
The other benefit of keeping your juniors is that they've played together, know each others games and bring that connection to the first grade squads.

Mr_Raditch

Juniors
The other benefit of keeping your juniors is that they've played together, know each others games and bring that connection to the first grade squads.

& if the independent commision gets off the ground & they've got half a brain, we will hopefully get salary cap concessions for junior players that have come through our system.

Radical Rat

Juniors
Possibly our best forward towards the back of '05? I don't think so.

Possibly our best dummy half runner towards the back end of '05 - on the back of quick play the balls on a fast track...

But that's hardly enough to secure a seat as an all-timer. He's done far more to stake a claim on the worst of all time than he has club hero.

Jeez, that's about as good as saying Sheens is the greatest coach we've ever had just 'cause he happened to be around when we won something...

Hate to break it to you N.C. but sadly Sheens is the greatest coach we've ever had. Granted there hasn't been much competition. Unless you enjoyed Terry Lambs dynamic post.

blackandwhite

Juniors
With Fifita, Dwyer and Lui all making a successful transition to the NRL, Wests, Balmain and WTs must all get credit.

It is the identification, retention and recruitment at the junior level where the club will get the most value.

This is one of the club’s strengths and where we have a significant advantage over teams like the Roosters and Bulldogs.

I’d like the club to retain the best of the 2009 and 2010 NYC teams. There is no reason why Jackson, Shirnack, Mullaney, Hyland, our two NYC wingers, the Clarkes, Begovich and a few others can’t progress to the NRL.

Developing our juniors involves less risk and is significantly cheaper than buying from another club.

The identification at junior level has improved over the last couple of years. Wests Tigers Recruitment Manager Warren McDonnell has given up going to games in his area and finally discovered the best way to identify talent is to go to Western Suburbs Magpies Harold Matts and SG Ball games every week.

Wests Magpies Harold Matts (under16) and SG Ball (under18) both made the semi finals this year.
This years Magpies SG Ball team led the comp all year but dropped out in the major semi losing by one point to the eventual winners the roosters.
Last year as 16 year olds they where again one win away from the Grand Final.

Some of the junior Wests Tiger cubs who will play in the Australian Schoolboys Championships in July are

Jay Bonnell : St Gregory's College Campbelltown

Matthew Groat : St Gregory's College Campbelltown

James Tedesco : St Gregory's College Campbelltown

David Nafoaluma : John Therry College Rosemeadow

Sebastian Sell : Chevalier College

Ben Saunders : Gilroy College Castle Hill

Matthew Groat and David Nafoaluma will both be playing for NSW under 18's against Qld this Wednesday in the curtain raiser before origin. Matthew made the Australian schoolboys last year and David is still only 16 !

Wests Magpies have tremendous young talent coming through.
18 year old front rower Matthew Groat is a very very dedicated footballer and will play NRL in the future that's a certainty.

David Nafoaluma and James Tedesco are only 16 -17 and will be backing up again next year in the under 18's comp.. they may even get a run in under 20's....look out for these young guys in a couple of years.

N.C.

Juniors
Hate to break it to you N.C. but sadly Sheens is the greatest coach we've ever had. Granted there hasn't been much competition. Unless you enjoyed Terry Lambs dynamic post.

Hmmm. I see what you mean, but you're miles off the point I was making. Let me spell it out for you...

Saying "Sheens is the best coach we've ever had because he is, in fact, the best coach we've ever had" is not the same as saying "Sheens is the best coach we've ever had because he was the coach we had that time when we were awesome".

The first statement can be supported by logic and objective reasoning. The second can't be supported under any circumstance.

Now if you progress each statement further you will get either "but it is possible there will one day be another coach at the Tigers who will be even better than him", or "so let's give him a CEO who wont criticise him and will give him another contract extension because he means so much to the club..."

Sadly, Sheens often applies the same logic to players that the club applies to him.

The love many have for Sheens seems to carry over to his favourite players as well, and so we see crazy statements like the one above - something about Halatau being untouchable, because he made a good dummy half run once in 2005. Please...

Last edited:

andrew9148

Juniors
If the tigers make the top 4 this year, and given neither club had won anything since 1969, would the sheens haters be happy? The Storm have only managed two comps in recent times (not counting the first won) and they have been cheating for years. Yes they have made lots of finals, but ultimately if u dont win it, if u get 4th or 10th who gives a f**k

Ghipo

Juniors

Western Suburbs won the SG Ball comp in 2002 and its no coincidence that 3 years later with Liam Fulton, Bryce Gibbs and Dean Collis progressing to 1st grade we won the NRL grand final.The Wests Magpies SG Ball side in 2002 had other future stars including Ryan Hoffman, Ben Roberts and Issac DeGois.

Simon Dwyer is the only player from the Western Suburbs SG Ball team of 2007 to have progressed to any NRL team.

From the Western Suburbs SG Ball team of 2008 Limoni Kamuta, Jake Mullaney, Sama Sauvao, Shaun Spence and Joel Wisbey are all currently playing Toyota Cup with no NRL appearances.

This years Magpies SG Ball team led the comp all year but dropped out in the major semi losing by one point to the eventual winners the roosters.
Last year as 16 year olds they where again one win away from the Grand Final.

If we are relying on juniors then it looks like 2013 - 2014 might be our best chance for another Grand Final win.

R2Coupe

Juniors
Add to these Woods, Roqica, Nichols, Hyland, Politoni and Finau from Balmain, the Murdoch, Bodie Clarke, I. Lui, Parata and Pulu from Keebra and the countre recruits the foundations are in place for the immediate future.

Latest posts