What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2010 Starting Halves - Mortimer, Keating & Robson

Jeff Robson or Tim Smith ?

• J.Robson

Votes: 11 64.7%
  • T.Smith

Votes: 6 35.3%

• Total voters

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Robbo offers bugger all in attack and I dont agree with the comments that he got us to the gf so he is the incumbent.

He was only there because KK got injured and now KK is fit he rightfully deserves his spot back as he was by far our beast players after about 6 rounds this season.

Bigfella

Coach
Keating played 3 and a part of a match at 7. We got smashed in all bar one and our form in that was pretty ordinary.

Robson was man of the match in the Grand Final qualifier, and his style of play far better suited the style that the team played which lifted it to the grand final.

Even if they were on par as 7's, which I don'tthink they are, Keating is far better suited to playing 14 anyway. He is going to be far more explosive in attack from there, and also has a fair bit of experience in that position.

I have no doubts they will start that way.

Robbo offers bugger all in attack and I dont agree with the comments that he got us to the gf so he is the incumbent.

He was only there because KK got injured and now KK is fit he rightfully deserves his spot back as he was by far our beast players after about 6 rounds this season.
x2

KK stood out, playing along side a lot of disinterested players, imo.

parra pete

Referee
Maybe having someone of the enthusiasm of Jeff Robson alongside them, got the team interested again..
Maybe the winning run with Robson in the team was not a freak of nature...

Batman: Let's go, Robin. We've set another youth on the road to a brighter tomorrow.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I have posted this before but if you look at our best player of the season award, which Fui won, have a look at KK up until he got injured

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=316859

These are your votes people and he was leading when he got injured.

For all we know he could have won the award if he wasn't injured, he was playing well enough, hell he could have even taken Dally M points away from Hayne.

The Colonel

Immortal
I have posted this before but if you look at our best player of the season award, which Fui won, have a look at KK up until he got injured

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=316859

These are your votes people and he was leading when he got injured.

For all we know he could have won the award if he wasn't injured, he was playing well enough, hell he could have even taken Dally M points away from Hayne.

All it suggest in those four games where he polled points (one win and four losses) he played better than a hell of a lot of other sorry arses did. It also coincided with him being moved into a more natural position along with Hayne......

Eels Dude

Coach
Robson has earned the right to be starting half in my opinion. He's solid and he's an old head which is helpful to Morts. He may have not played that much first grade but he's been around long to have that calming influence on an up and comer. KK has only played 3 or 4 games in firt grade as a starting halfback so it's not like he demands to be selected.

dazeely

First Grade
Robson should and will get first crack in 2010.

6. Mortimer
7. Robson

9. M Keating

14. K Keating

x4

However I seriously think people are over-rating his ability especially his defence. Robson is, and has to be, a pass first mentality with good vision to run support and at least put his body on the line in defence. He starts at 7 either for Parra or Wenty and plays 80 minutes. There is no 9 or 14 or 13. His defence is good for a halfback, for hooker or lock it is atrocious.

x5

Robo to do the hard yards at the beginning of the game and then Keating on to provide the spark (Kingston type role). Either Robo or KK to slip into hooking role to give M Keating a rest.

Raudonikis

Juniors
neither mortimer or kk need robson at half in anyway whatsoever they both sh*t on him talent wise and will only blossom together.robson would only have been signed as backup.he isnt a half backs arsehole and never will be.i dont understand people on heres love affair with him when we havve morts n kk
6..kk
7..morts

wenty. robson.

Gaffman

Juniors
I'm on the boat with the majority here

6 - Morts
7 - Robson

14 - KK

I don't disagree that in time KK will probably be twice the player Robson is, but for now i wouldn't change what worked so well last year.

What we need is someone to fill the space left by Kingston, and KK fits that bill almost perfectly from what i can see.

theres plenty of time in the trials and early rounds for ando to juggle the halves around id like to see kk and morts playing together just to see if theres a combination there

Fee

Juniors
I am happy with whatever Ando decides, he proved to me last year that he knows what hes doing. I just cant wait for the season to start, bring on the footy .

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Fee said it right, its times like this that im glad i dont coach at all.

(either way, im confident in which ever combinations)

In DA we trust!

jk13

First Grade
i can't see why we wouldn't start with the same halves from last year. the test will be when all our part-time play makers, like hayne and mateo, don't make a contribution and all the pressure goes back on robson and mort to perform. it will be interesting to see how robson goes, will the confidence boost from last year lift him to be a better/smarter footballer

The Engineers Room

First Grade
I think you start with Robson and Mortimer and allow Hayne and Mateo to create around the middle. What is more important is that the offloads and passing before the line continues. Add to that getting outside backs to run a few angles at the defence.

Bigfella

Coach
Absolutely TER. Getting Tahu and Grothe to run angles from the middle can be devastating. The few times Grothe has got involved in the centres in attack have been brilliant.

lingard

Coach
neither mortimer or kk need robson at half in anyway whatsoever they both sh*t on him talent wise and will only blossom together.robson would only have been signed as backup.he isnt a half backs arsehole and never will be.i dont understand people on heres love affair with him when we havve morts n kk
6..kk
7..morts

wenty. robson.

I respect your judgements, Raudonikis; especially on halves - I think you know what you are talking about. But I also think you are greatly under-estimating Jeff Robson. As I have said in another thread, don`t you think that after his very first full year in the top grade, he might be more confident to try things and might just improve as an attacking player? Do you think he might have been conservative because he wanted to cement a spot and gain another contract? Everyone thinks Mortimer and Keating will improve; I can`t see any reason under the sun why Robson wont improve too.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Robson put up a great chip to Tautai's wing on his debut for us - Tautai's silly instincts to knock it back instead of just catching it and falling over the line cost us a try. That showed me that he has the right idea, he just needs to focus on his execution.

And with a full off-season to work with and the security knowing that his coach and teammates value his efforts, why wouldn't he improve?