What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2010 World Cup - Spain 1 Portugal 0 - Round of 16

ME SO HORNBY!

Juniors
Spain lost their first up match against Switzerland and have failed to impress at times despite finishing top of their group. They have also looked shaky in defence at times however have contolled the midfield well.

Portugal has been extremely solid in defence, not conceding in their three group matches. However they have struggled to create scoring opportunites outside of their 7-0 romping of a lowly North Korea.

Its a tough one to call and looking like a bit of a stalemate. Im leaning towards a one goal win in extra time or a penalty shoot out but to who, i cant say.

Ridders

Coach
Yeah agree, haven't been too impressed with Spain so far. Will be interesting to see whether they drop Torres or not. Clearly looks off-pace, which is understandable. However, even though he has been ordinary, I think his presence does free up Villa a bit since defences generally have to keep a body or 2 on Torres.

Ridders

Coach
Like how the ref is calling the game. Letting the game flow as much as he can. Not calling ticky-tack fouls

Danish

Referee
Man lack of sleeping is killing me. Cannot f**king wait though for this game

:lol:

I hear that. I had 2 weeks off work for the group stages and essentially got myself on south african time.

Going back to work on monday felt like I had jet lag :lol:

Sacrificed last nights games (Brazil and dutch wins) so that I could watch this one but jesus I'm buggered.

Danish

Referee
Torres has absolutely nothing at this world cup. Haven't seen him do anything but give away the ball cheaply all tournament

f**k me Ronaldo looks a shadow of himself. It's like watching Brett Holman dribble.

IMO both these teams are no match for Argentina or Germany

:lol:

I hear that. I had 2 weeks off work for the group stages and essentially got myself on south african time.

Going back to work on monday felt like I had jet lag :lol:

Sacrificed last nights games (Brazil and dutch wins) so that I could watch this one but jesus I'm buggered.

:lol: Man I've been sleeping at like 9am and waking around 6-7pm. Feel like absolute sh*t, but hey it's the WC

abpanther

Staff member
I continue to be unimpressed by Spain, sure they dominate ball possession but man they look lethargic and do little with it, even with the little ball they've had Portugal have looked more dangerous. Oh and can someone please tell Ronaldo to stop diving and whinging to the refs, such a talented player, I wish he would just get that rubbish out of his game and play. Hope this one opens up soon...

andrew057

First Grade
Spain controlled the ball, but havent really created anything.

Portugal have had the better opportunities.

Pepe has been huge.

Danish

Referee
:lol: Man I've been sleeping at like 9am and waking around 6-7pm. Feel like absolute sh*t, but hey it's the WC

Its funny watching the lack of sleep effecting the people in the sydney studio as well...

All their make up and lighting is starting to lose the battle against the bags under the blood shot eyes

Ridders

Coach
Portugal look more likely to get the break-through.

I think Torres has been alright. Obviously not close to his best but his first touch looks a bit better and his movement definitely looks better than before. Basically he hasn't been terrible. Doesn't say much I know.

half time 0 - 0

Spain are too much choke to win a world cup, i can't see them even winning this one.

Spain are all foreplay but no penetation when it counts. That and their mental strength is what will kill them.

Portugal will win 1 - 0 or by penalties.