What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2010 World Cup - Spain 1 Portugal 0 - Round of 16

Ridders

Coach
haha, i had a feeling we were gonna jinx him

It's tragic. He's going to be remembered more for the red card than for the otherwise great performance he put on today. It was soft red for sure, especially given the way he's officiated the game.

andrew057

First Grade
Well done to Spain, definitely the better team. Still havent seen enough from them this tournament to think they can win it all.

Ridders

Coach
Well done to Spain, definitely the better team. Still havent seen enough from them this tournament to think they can win it all.

Agreed. A bit like Chile in that they can play some great football yet struggle to score.

langpark

First Grade
It's tragic. He's going to be remembered more for the red card than for the otherwise great performance he put on today. It was soft red for sure, especially given the way he's officiated the game.
it was a nice change from some other refs we've seen, but overall i think he was a bit too lenient and let some things go that he shouldn't have.

IMO Rosetti and Howard Webb are the two best in the business at the moment. (or the lesser of all evils should i say? just so i don't piss anyone off :)

Danish

Referee
Yep ronaldo was average... But the refs have been giving him no love all cup.

I've lost count at how many fouls they've just refused to call simply because it was on Ronaldo.

Spain won this game by deciding to remove Torres. Made an instant difference to their attack. Just seemed like they were going through the motions when he was on.

Ridders

Coach
it was a nice change from some other refs we've seen, but overall i think he was a bit too lenient and let some things go that he shouldn't have.

IMO Rosetti and Howard Webb are the two best in the business at the moment. (or the lesser of all evils should i say? just so i don't piss anyone off :)

Probably a fair way of looking at it.

f**k I love Ned Zelic talking football.

Ridders

Coach
Lol at Capdevila about to get up after the "elbow" and then going back down and writhing around after he saw the ref was drawing a red

abpanther

Staff member
Well I was happy to see Spain open up and play some better attacking football in the first 30mins of the second half, funny that it coincided with Torres coming off, they will be tough to beat in this WC. Villa is the centrepiece though, he makes them much more dangerous in attack.

As for Portugal, well unfortunately Ronaldo makes them unwatchable for me, sick of his diving and whinging, anyone notice him spit at the camera after the game?

Is this old geezer on SBS serious, complaining that ROnaldo was fouled and it wasn't called? f**k me what a joke!!

abpanther

Staff member
Ronaldo doesn't get calls because he goes down way to bloody easily, if he actually tried to stay on his feet rather than looking to hit the ground then he may get some respect from the officials, otherwise I'm happy for them to tell him to get up...

Ridders

Coach
Well Capdevila did put a pretty blatant two handed push on him, and it wasn't called. A case of his reputation seriously hurting him.

abpanther

Staff member
Well Capdevila did put a pretty blatant two handed push on him, and it wasn't called. A case of his reputation seriously hurting him.

Yeah that one should've been called, but for that one there were about 3-4 dives

Well I was happy to see Spain open up and play some better attacking football in the first 30mins of the second half, funny that it coincided with Torres coming off, they will be tough to beat in this WC. Villa is the centrepiece though, he makes them much more dangerous in attack.

As for Portugal, well unfortunately Ronaldo makes them unwatchable for me, sick of his diving and whinging, anyone notice him spit at the camera after the game?

Is this old geezer on SBS serious, complaining that ROnaldo was fouled and it wasn't called? f**k me what a joke!!

Haha yeah, he wasn't too happy was he. Tony Palumbo is a senile old bastard, beats me how he's able to get a TV gig

aqua_duck

Coach
I think Llorente made a big difference in terms of structure. He's not as brilliant as (an inform) Torres but he's abit like a (a much better version of) Josh Kennedy who provides a target and can play back to goal which helps Villa. In the 1st half when Spain were playing those high balls it was a deadend but Llorente worked very hard to challenge the defenders in the air and provided a target for crosses

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Even though he did well, I think Villa is wasted on the left.

Should play Silva on the left and Villa up front.

Villa >> Torres.

Bulldog Force

Referee
That wasn't even yellow card worthy. Other than that, great performance by the ref.

Great to see Villa kick Spain home - and beautiful ball from Xavi! Paraguay now, the test only gets tougher for Spain!

aqua_duck

Coach
Even though he did well, I think Villa is wasted on the left.

Should play Silva on the left and Villa up front.

Villa >> Torres.
I think they should start Llorente, he gives them a target with high balls. They tried Villa up front and Silva out wide against the Swiss and it didn't work, Silva was terrible and was subbed quite early on