What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2011 FOUR NATIONS Round 3: New Zealand -V- Australia

Jesbass

First Grade
Forum 7s - 4 Nations - 2011
NEW ZEALAND KIWIS -V- AUSTRALIA KANGAROOS
logo_kiwi_NZ.jpg
-V-
logo_kangaroos_aust.jpg

Game Thread:
* This is a game thread only. Only game posts can be made here - team lists, substitutions, and articles.
* Any other posts may result in loss of points and is at the discretion of the referee.
* Only original articles, not used in previous games, will be marked by referees.​

Naming Teams:
* 3 -V- 3 (+ 2 reserves for both teams)
* No 'TBA' or changing players named
* Captains must stick with original teams named​

Kick Off: Sunday 13th November 2011 (2100AEST)
Full Time: Saturday 19th November 2011 (2100AEST)
Referee: Non Terminator
Venue: Mt Smart Stadium​

main.jpg

LeagueNut

First Grade
Kiwis.jpg

The Kiwis stride out onto the hallowed turf of Mt Smart Stadium, keen as ever to take on their old foes from 'Straya.

-----------------------------------
Team:
LeagueNut (c)
Jesbass
madunit

Bench:
Hallatia
byrne_rovelli_fan82
-----------------------------------

Ringa pakia
Uma tiraha
Turi whatia
Hope whai ake
Waewae takahia kia kino

Ka mate, ka mate
Ka ora' Ka ora'
Ka mate, ka mate
Ka ora Ka ora

Tēnei te tangata pūhuruhuru
Nāna i tiki mai whakawhiti te rā
Upane... Upane
Upane Kaupane
Whiti te rā

Hī!

haka_wideweb__470x303,0.jpg

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
madunit for the Kiwi's, just one more time...

Off Season?
Tis mid-November, summer is just days away, the thoughts of Rugby League start to siphon from my veins, being replaced by the cricket season.

It is some ungodly hour of the morn, my eyelids which must way all of a few grams each, feel like bricks, as I try to stay awake and watch Australia playing South Africa in the first test. It’s a game full of roller coaster moments for both sides.

But I fall into a deep slumber; I cannot resist the seductive lure of sleep.

My subconscious takes over. My brain longs for Rugby League but is also in some sort of equinoxical* battle with the normality of the beginning of the cricket season. I should have made the transition from League to cricket by now; instead my mind is in a limbo-like middle part.

I start dreaming up some weird fanciful things which certainly don’t help.

I open my eyes again and catch a glimpse of the cricket.

I see Ryan Harris running in to bowl. Just as he is about to start his delivery, striding forward with his front foot, getting side-on to generate as much as pace as he can, I close my eyes and picture Jacques Kallis, the batsmen at the non-strikers end, drop his bat, bends slightly and drives his shoulder into Harris’ exposed hip, pushing with his legs and crunching Harris into the turf, in a tackle that Nigel Plum would be proud to call ‘standard’.

I open my eyes to see Harris complete his delivery, unimpeded by Kallis’ shoulder. The ball is pitched in line with Graeme Smith’s pads. Smith flicks the ball down to fine leg. As Mitchell Johnson runs around to cut the ball off from reaching the boundary, I close my eyes again and see Johnson, scoop up a football one handed, a la Billy Slater, and make a dashing run through the players scattered all around the field, before running off to score a…..

I open my eyes again to see Johnson pick the ball up and casually lob it in to the keeper. I convince myself I should be fully embracing the cricket now. I try for another over to be truly analytical and concentrate hard on the game.

This just tires me faster. As Harris begins his next over, he pitches a ball up, and just as Kallis pushes forward to hit the ball through mid-off, I again close my eyes in yet another long ‘blink’. This time I envisage Kallis putting in a grubber kick behind the defensive line, he runs hard straight through the opponents and picks up the ball which has held a true line but is bouncing along erratically, he collects it and throws a Benji Marshall type no-look flick pass behind his back to Smith who runs away to score …… 4 runs, nice shot there by Kallis, nice straight drive down the ground.

This is doing my head in, I can’t do this! I surrender; I need to watch Rugby League. I lift my tired body out of the loving embrace of the lounge and dawdle to the DVD Cabinet and shuffle through the titles, looking for an all-too familiar DVD.

A-ha! Found it! The State of Origin 2009 series. I didn’t pick it for any reason other than it was Rugby League. This should satiate my appetite for Rugby League that my subconscious has seemingly been screaming out for.

I put the DVD on, take my place with the beloved lounge, and get the game started. I feel wide awake again, watching with enthusiasm as players smash into one another.

Soon however, the tiredness comes back. I begin to close my eyes just as Darren Lockyer is about to put up a bomb. As the ball is in the air it surprisingly morphs into a cricket ball and as it falls down, Ricky Ponting takes a catch at gully.

What the hell?!

I awake to see Kurt Gidley catching a ball after a QLD kick-off. He passes to Paul Gallen who catches the short gentle pass and starts to run at full pace towards the Maroons defence. My eyes close once again and Gallen turns into Ryan Harris, charging in to bowl once more.

I give up!
*Not a real word
715 words, including title.

LeagueNut

First Grade
Kiwis.jpg

LeagueNut for the Kiwis

Ignorance is bliss

Whether you like it or not, you’re getting older. Even as you stare at these words you’re aging by the second – and there’s not a damn thing you can do about it.

Age does funny things to us all. As a little tyke I used to be able to chew on my toenails but I haven’t been able to bend that way in decades. I can’t eat a whole box of pizza any more, I can’t have coffee after about 9pm and those bloody kids better get off my lawn.

Changes are also taking place with my attitude towards Rugby League. About five years ago I could probably have told you every last detail about every single member of my chosen team, right down to obscure things like shoe sizes and favourite Beatle. Unfortunately as time marches on my brain is deciding to spend time worrying about other irrelevant things like work balance sheets and home mortgage payments.

The side-effect is that I’m suddenly very vulnerable to the tabloid trash journalism that seems to be rife within the realms of Rugby League. I don’t have time to pore over actual facts, I just want to know the basics so I can quickly sew up my judgements and leave it at that. (Another unfortunate consequence of getting older is that you seem to become a lot more judgemental for some reason…)

So while you sit there slowly aging, I’d like to present to you the ill-informed “facts” of someone who’s been reduced to suckling at the teat of trashy journalism.

Robert Lui is a scumbag. Charged with beating his girlfriend two years in a row – how ridiculously stupid can you be? He won’t amount to anything, he’ll scratch out a year or two up north and fade into obscurity which is where he belongs. The next time you hear his name is when he gets sentenced to a few years in the slammer for being the same stupid moron in ten years time.

Todd Carney is a hopeless basket case. He thinks he’s Gods gift and that we all owe him something. He wants to be the biggest celebrity the world has ever seen but doesn’t want to exude any more energy than he already has. He’s one of the younger generation who wants to do absolutely anything at any time with no regard for consequences. I hope he’s sacked before the end of 2012 so he can finally take his rightful place at the bottom of the Centrelink queue. Rugby League doesn’t need him.

Sam Thaiday might like to call himself a Kangaroo, a proud Queenslander or a Broncos captain, but I’ll always remember him as a greasy slimeball who likes to get nasty with the local girls in the dingiest toilet he can find. This man is full of class and all of it is third. He gave the great remorseful act when he was exposed for the cretin he is but there’s nothing genuine about him, he’s just pissed off that he was caught. Maybe he’ll grow up in about 20 years and realise that there’s so much more to life than getting your knob out.

Darius Boyd likes the toilets as well so he’s just as bad. It’ll get worse over the next few years as the all-encompassing drug culture of the Newcastle Knights gets deeper and deeper under his skin. That entire club (and probably the entire town) are so dependent on chemical crutches and even the Almighty Wayne won’t make a blind bit of difference. The Knights are a lost cause – they’re never going to change, they’ll just continue to think their “fame” allows them special privileges and that they’re also Gods amongst mere mortals. The truth is they’re weak – every last one of them. Wipe them out now and don’t ever look back.

Is any of this right? Well yes, every one of those opinions is based on stories we’ve all heard and “scoops” that have been broken over the last few years. Whether my opinions have been based on cold, hard evidence or whether I’m simply a victim of shock-jock journalists and the laziest forms of reporting is another matter entirely – and just as I’ve judged all the idiots above, I’ll leave you to judge the idiot before you now.

But I’ll tell you what – I won’t be changing either.

730 words from top to toe.

Jesbass

First Grade
Pushed onto the field kicking and screaming, Jesbass dons the black and white jersey once again...

Kiwis.jpg

Judicia-rant: A Tragedy

Bear with me, if you will, while I get something off my chest.

“Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears.”
– Mark Antony, Julius Caesar

When Adam Blair took to the field for the New Zealand Kiwis against Wales on November 5th, it was his first competitive appearance since late August. He'd been forced to cool his heels for five weeks after being suspended for striking and contrary conduct in the wake of the massive brawl between the Melbourne Storm and the Manly Sea Eagles.

And, to be honest, that bothers me somewhat.

It isn't the fact that Blair got suspended. And it isn't the length of the suspension that has frustrated me, even though there were many who considered it particularly harsh.

“This bond doth give thee here no jot of blood;
The words expressly are “a pound of flesh”.”
– Portia, The Merchant Of Venice

What gets to me is the fact that he missed out on international representation as a result.

The fights that involved Adam Blair, Glenn Stewart, and eight of their teammates, were committed at first grade level. Consequently, these offences were assessed by the NRL judiciary.

But they overstepped the mark.

I should probably note at this point that I'm not merely a bitter Kiwi league fan with a chip on his shoulder – although sometimes it feels like I'd be entitled to a healthy dose of skepticism regarding this topic.

Donning my tinfoil hat, I note the surprising regularity with which a New Zealander has run afoul of the laws in the lead up to international selection.

Take, for example, the case of Issac Luke, who missed the 2009 ANZAC Test on the back of a dubious suspension for a strike that hadn’t even been deemed serious enough during the match to be put on report.

Meanwhile, Australian enforcer Paul Gallen had escaped a ban for what essentially amounted to an attempted decapitation of Craig Wing.

And with a long list of Kiwis receiving suspensions that have forced them to miss international matches – including Stephen Kearney, Jarrod McCracken, Quentin Pongia, Ali Lauiti'iti and Ruben Wiki – it's all too easy to feel somewhat aggrieved.

"Et tu, Brute?"
– Caesar, Julius Caesar

But perhaps that’s just dumb play by a handful of my countrymen? Certainly, some of the offenses deserved punishment.

And, from that, I hope lessons are learned.

Adam Blair, for example, has hopefully realised that if he gets into too many scraps like that, he’s going to cop a lengthy ban.

Glenn Stewart, on the other hand, probably understands that blood runs thicker than water, with his brother Brett repaying the support the elder Stewart had given when his sibling was facing the courts during the previous two years.

But what I simply fail to understand is how a domestic competition can dictate international eligibility.

Personally, I think the bans were fair, but they highlighted a major flaw with the current judiciary system.

Quite how the NRL can prevent a player from partaking in a match that comes under the jurisdiction of the Rugby League International Federation is perplexing – even if only from an outward perception regarding transparency.

If the Australian Rugby League were ever to select a player based in England for the Kangaroos, and the English Super League were to suspend that player, the cynic within me suggests that the ensuing outcry would catalyse change.

“Now go we in content
To liberty, and not to banishment.”
– Celia, As You Like It

So what can be done about it?

The simplest solution would be to grant the NRL jurisdiction over NRL suspensions only. Let the ARL worry about how a player’s actions may or may not affect their State Of Origin credentials, and have the RLIF determine whether or not an international suspension is necessary.

The issue with this is the added cost, time, and bureaucracy created by having various different bodies looking at the same incident – especially if the judgments differ.

Perhaps, then, the best answer is an independent panel, appointed by the RLIF. Representatives from both affected countries, (that of the player and his potential representative opposition), could be present, with a neutral chairman presiding over the process.

Players will probably still miss out on international matches, but at least the process will appear less like a Kangaroo court.

And if all else fails, we could always heed the instructions of one of Shakespeare’s minor characters...

“The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers.”
– Dick, Henry VI, Part 2

750 words between the stars.

Sources:
1: http://www.nrl.com/nrlhq/referencecentre/judiciary/tabid/10435/default.aspx
2: http://www.nrl.com/stewart-pulls-out-of-four-nations-squad/tabid/10874/newsid/65132/default.aspx
3: http://www.3news.co.nz/Issac-Luke-to-miss-Anzac-test/tabid/415/articleID/102980/Default.aspx
4: http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/2975642/Issac-Luke-bounces-back-after-Anzac-test-ban
5: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...as-nrl-goes-soft/story-e6frexp9-1225705191266

Shakespeare References:
1: “Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears.” – Mark Antony, Julius Caesar (Act III, Scene ii)
2: “This bond doth give thee here no jot of blood; The words expressly are “a pound of flesh”.” – Portia, The Merchant Of Venice (Act IV, Scene i)
3: "Et tu, Brute?" – Julius Caesar, Julius Caesar (Act III, Scene i)
4: "Now go we in content to liberty, and not to banishment." – Celia, As You Like It (Act I, Scene iii)
5: “The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers.” – Dick The Butcher, Henry VI, Part 2 (Act IV, Scene ii)

Willow

Assistant Moderator
The Aussies have touched down in Auckland, and ready to take on the 2010 Champs in NZ!

AUSTRALIA KANGAROOS

logo_kangaroos_aust.jpg

Willow (c)
Breathingfire
muzby

Bench:
Rexxy
griffo346
(vc)

Good luck one an all :thumn

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
muzby pulls on his australian jersey for the first time and aims to avoid any billy slater like collarbone incidents..

Aust_jersey_040718.jpg

720 words title to end..

Not that I’m counting.

Thirteen weeks.

Ninety one days.

Two thousand one hundred and eighty four hours.

One hundred and thirty one thousand, and forty minutes.

That’s how long I have to still wait until the footy season unofficially starts.

Not that I’m counting or anything.

Of course, that time is just till the Charity Shield. I still have another two hundred and eighty eight hours after that finishes before the 2012 season kicks off.

Not that I’m counting.

But the off season brings with it a certain type of madness that only a football fanatic can understand. A madness driven out of the withdrawal symptoms for a life’s passion.

Yes, there are some things I consider strange, such as the fact I now need to sleep with a teddy bear dressed in a jersey. But really is it considered all that odd to purchase 26 Japanese fighting fish (thirteen red and thirteen blue)? Is it strange to paint little white numbers on each of them, throw them in together (with a little football) and then place bets with my bookie on who was going to be the last fish standing?

Although I do notice that my off season madness is starting to isolate me from society. My best friend hasn’t called me back after I told him about the fish (and I didn’t even tell him I ate the winner.)

My mailman won’t deliver the post here anymore, which is a real shame as he is a die hard Dragons fan as well. Apparently he felt “awkward” about the guy wearing nothing but St George Illawarra footy shorts, standing there ready to greet him each day, and wanting to take up hours of his time talking about our chances without Wayne Bennett.

And it’s not just the mailman who is giving me the cold shoulder. My wife isn’t talking to me either. She blames me for the mountains of garbage that are starting to pile up around our house. Yes, I may feel some kind of responsibility for the fact that the council has cut off my rubbish collection service. But I stand firm in my defence that the garbage man was fair game to try out a Dallas Johnston style tackle the minute he picked up my rubbish bin.

So I thought that writing this article about football may help me to fill a little bit of the void I feel, however even after the thirty minutes I have spent venting my spleen about missing the NRL, it still leaves two thousand, one hundred and eighty three hours and thirty minutes (not that I’m counting or anything) to go.

I’m sure I’ll fill this time with meaningless events such as Christmas, New Years Eve and Birthdays with family and friends. But of course none of these will fill that void that is left in my life that has been brought about by not getting to watch my team play every week.

“What about summer sports?” I hear you ask.

I’ve tried them. I’ve tried them all. Just like a junkie who knows that methadone doesn’t even come close to the rush that heroin gives him, summer sports just can’t satisfy my footy lust.

I’ve tried watching them. Cricket is dead boring. Tennis is even worse. Where’s the physical contact? The testosterone fuelled challenges between the players? And don’t get me started on the A-League..

So I thought maybe I should start playing a summer sport. This would give me the chance to experience the rush of league. Unfortunately after a rather unfortunate incident, I’m no longer allowed to back at our local lawn bowls club either. How was I to know that sledging, swearing and shoulder charges were not allowed? I mean really, if a 67 year old bloke can’t handle the pressure, what’s he doing on the field?

And so I’m stuck here, watching the clock and waiting for the season to kick off. Still I can rejoice in the fact that there are now only one hundred and thirty one thousand and ten minutes until unofficial season kick off.

But thankfully, I know I’m not the only one suffering NRL withdrawal during the off season.

After all, you’re just spent the past three and a half minutes reading this article haven’t you?

Not that I’m counting…

Breathingfire

Juniors
Breathingfire looks to score on debut for the Aussies with this little piece of propaganda

Aust_jersey_040718.jpg

Clubbed!

The results of 2010 federal election have proved to be disastrous for the people of Australia, and unfortunately the extent of the damage is yet to be fully realised. The 8th of November 2011 will forever be remembered in this country as the death of democracy, with the passing of a carbon tax in the Australian Senate. The Bob Brown led Greens held the Prime Minister of this country ransom and in our hour of darkness, our leader let us down. Regrettably, the consequence of the 2010 hung parliament does not stop there.

Third in the primary vote, yet saved by preferences, independent candidate Andrew Wilkie claimed the seat of Denison in Tasmania, and like Bob Brown, has an agenda of his very own; to financially cripple and ultimately crush the clubs of this great country through his extraordinarily illogical poker machine reform. The introduction of a mandatory pre-commitment system, whereby the player must set a limit on the amount of money they are prepared to lose prior to using the poker machine, will be in place in this country by 2014.

The likelihood of such legislation being passed is almost a foregone conclusion. Mr Wilkie has made his intentions clear and if not passed, will simply withdraw his support for the majority government and send the Australian people back to the polling booths.

The obvious intention of such a proposal is to deter problem gamblers from using poker machines. However, consider the plethora of alternative avenues available to gamblers. Keno, TAB, phone betting and online gambling are completely independent of the reform and no thought has been given to reducing the impact of such mediums. As a result, resources are still readily available for problem gamblers, but money once fed into poker machines will be diverted elsewhere. This could prove to be catastrophic for clubs in Australia.

A large portion of licensed premises in this country rely on takings from poker machines to survive. A decline in such takings could result in the unfeasibility of certain venues, in particular leagues clubs who provide funding for their affiliated sporting teams. The majority of football clubs in the National Rugby League rely on funding from an affiliated leagues club. As it stands, National Rugby League (NRL) affiliated leagues clubs form several of the most lucrative poker machine venues in the country. Under the proposed poker machine reform, the current economic landscape would change. With our leagues clubs no longer able to provide the same level of financial support once granted in the past; those football organisations under financial duress could cease to exist.

This proposed legislation comes at a time of already great financial hardship for leagues clubs suffering the burden of heavy poker machine taxation and anti-smoking laws. The St George Leagues Club on average generates an operating profit of over 13 million dollars a year; however with the state government gobbling up around 90% of that income through poker machine taxes, the Club struggles to remain financially viable. Any additional financial constraints could prove to be the final nail in the coffin, with many clubs dying a slow painful death as operations become more and more untenable.

What this means for our sporting clubs is just as calamitous. NRL Chief Executive David Gallop states that “without change to the current tax rate, the chance of some NSW NRL Clubs not making it is a very real one”. The St George Rugby League Football Club relies on a Leagues Club grant which as of 2010 stands at $2,800,000, down $900,000 from the previous year. The Leagues Club also provides $500,425 in community sporting development and support, along with a contribution of $40,087 to the amortisation of improvements to Jubilee Oval. Mr Wilkie’s proposed poker machine reform will directly affect operational costs and thus reduce the available funds for football club grants.

NRL clubs have substantial costs of their own, with many already operating at a loss. The pressure to remain competitive in a market flooded with other sporting codes is increasing by the day. On field success is vital to survival as gate takings, sponsorship, merchandising and corporate appeal are all affected by on field performance. As a result, clubs are forced to spend the full amount of the $4.3million salary cap to make certain a fundamental level of competitiveness is achievable. Without substantial financial assistance from an external organisation, death of the clubs we so passionately support is a very real possibility.

(750 words)

Last edited:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Willow | Australia
Aust_jersey_040718.jpg

When Country meets City

The last player to be selected for Australia 'from the Country' was Dapto's Steve Morris in 1978.

Morris gained selection for the New South Wales Country Rugby League side before stepping into the NSW Blues and Australian teams. He was the last of an era, a time when the City verses Country clashes carried more weight with the national selectors. Nowadays, these annual events are something of an enigma.

A representative fixture with a long history, City vs Country is played exclusively between New South Welshman. A tough encounter that sometimes results in injury, the game often draws criticism as serving little purpose. The League's Queensland cousins look on in bemusement as potential NSW state representatives beat the crap out of each other prior to the State of Origin.

The City vs Country contest has been an annual feature since 1930. In 1987 it was modernised to include Origin status. It was more popular decades ago, the sides would sometimes meet twice in a season. There have been three years when it was not played, from 1998-2000 in the post-Super League days. From 1930-2011, there have been 84 City vs Country clashes - City have 65 wins but Country have won the last two encounters.

But the real history of City vs Country pre-dates the 1930s.

The origins can be traced back to 1886 when the Southern Rugby Football Union would stage a 'Test' match between Combined Countrymen and Metropolis sides. The success of the fixture continued, and in the early 1900s a 'Country Week' was established as part of the season. This rivalry continued when the game in Australia evolved into Rugby League in 1907, and three years later the NSWRL played its first recorded 'City vs Country' game.

There was however a relaxed attitude towards these encounters, given the lack of competitions outside of Sydney. Newcastle (1909) and then Illawarra (1910) were the first non-Sydney competitions and it took some years for Rugby League to reach the wider country areas of NSW. To put this in perspective, there were roughly 1 million people living in NSW at the time of Federation (1901), and 63% of these were in Sydney. Therefore it was some time before the concept could sustain a permanent fixture.

Nevertheless, there was enough interest for Sydney club sides to travel into the country to take on rural sides. By the 1920s, it was commonplace.

The Hunter region in particular figured well in the rise of City vs Country. In 1929, Newcastle defeated Balmain 28-12 at the Newcastle Ground. In the match report published in The Referee - a Rugby periodical - 'The Cynic' waxed lyrical about the Country game. Despite Balmain being 'strongly represented', the Newcastle side 'swarmed all over them'.

"Newcastle are a very fine team, fast and clever, and play good spectacular Rugby," wrote the enigmatic author - obviously with a more liberal use of the word 'rugby', decades before union hijacked it in an attempt to claim it as their own.

One of the great sport writers during the Rugby breakaway years, 'The Cynic' was also the first known writer to promote the Origin notion when, in 1900, he suggested that a Queensland-bound player should be allowed to play for NSW, his place of birth. The idea took another 80 years to be picked up by Rugby League, it has never been adopted by Rugby Union.

In the same column, 'The Cynic' went on to promote an upcoming 'Country v Metropolis' clash of 1929, mentioning Country players who should feature strongly. This included the Riverina's George Treweeke, one of Rugby League's greatest second rowers with a legendary career that saw him play for NSW and Australia.

One year later, the Country vs City concept became entrenched in the Rugby League calendar. It remained as a tremendous 'Test' for players seeking state and national selection up until the 1970s when 'Slippery' Steve Morris last pulled on a green and gold jersey for his country club.

The magic may have waned and the NSW Country Rugby League (CRL), a driving force behind the event, often gets accused of being stuck in the past.

But they're right about one thing. The concept itself is still relevant.

City folk may not get it, and we can think of a few reasons to scrap it. But the Country vs City fixture still brings the game to rural folk... the great nursery of the greatest game of all. At the of the day, that should be reason enough.

Words | 750
Ref | RL1908.com
Ref | http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=394264
Ref | http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_vs_Country_Origin
Ref | http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Country_Rugby_League

Jesbass

First Grade
All the best to both teams. A 3 -V- 3 contest - couldn't have asked for anything more! :thumn

New Zealand 257

Madunit - Off Season? (711)
I could imagine this article would've been very difficult to translate from mind to paper...sorry...WordPad. I believe however you've done a terrificul job on this, with the presentation and structure running smoothly throughout the article. It is something different for an "Off-Season" style article.

LeagueNut - Ignorance Is Bliss (730)
Get off my lawn. There was a nice approach to this, what I found during the article was that it took quite a few twists and turns around the place, I never knew where it was headed. Nevertheless it came out wonderfully in the end.

Jesbass - Judicia-Rant: A Tragedy (750)

We've seen this done before, combining wonderful texts with an opinion piece. I'm not here to judge you on your opinion (I disagree.......................................), but I would like to judge on how your opinion presented itself. To me, it looked like you got your point out, but if it wasn't for the Word Limit, you would've had much, much more to say. Well presented, I enjoyed it.

Australia 258

Muzby - Not That I'm Counting (720)
It takes something special for a humourous article to score well, but the personal humour turned out to be a brilliant touch. I enjoyed reading it, and will do so again, three and a half minutes worthwile.

Breathingfire - Clubbed! (750)
Very factual article, but prints like an everyday newspaper article (I do mean that as a compliment). There was little mention about Rugby League, but you could always see where it was headed. A good read, very well researched.

Willow - When Country Meets City (750)
Very well researched, very well presented. It's not often you see a historical article based on City/Country, it is long overdue. Well done for bringing it to the attention for those who want to know more about the great game.

Australia 258 d. New Zealand 257
POTN Muzby/Willow (both Australia)

Jesbass

First Grade
Thanks, ref, and well done to the Aussies. :thumn

Does that make it a New Zealand -V- Australia final? *shrugs*

We need Azkatro in here...

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Thanks ref and well played everyone. I enjoyed every article.

See you in the Final Kiwis.

LeagueNut

First Grade
Well done to all - another nailbiter.

While I could go on a stereotypical Kiwi rant about how the Aussies must surely have performed illegal deeds to emerge victorious, I will instead tip my hat to them and thank NT for the marking as well - then scurry away to plot my revenge in the upcoming final... :cool:

Azkatro

First Grade
Uhhh Houston, we have a problem... the score is wrong! This game is actually a draw, 258-all.

Jesbass

First Grade
Does this affect the final standings? I think it might come down to points difference between Australia and Great Britain as I think this would put them both on 4 competition points...?

Jesbass

First Grade
Actually, I think Australia are still in the final:

Ladder ranking/position
When establishing a team's position on the ladder, the order of ranking is as follows:
1. Most competition points.
2. Most articles.
3. Most Points For.
4. Best For and Against / Differential (F/A or +/-).