What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2011 Jersey & Sponsorship Discussion

They used to have a V though, right?

The only time I can recall Parra wearing a Vee is in 2003 7's but apart from that...?

parramatta-eels-home-rugby-shirt-2003-s_1774_1_500x400.jpg

Unless you count the 2001-2003 jersey as having a vee???

parramatta-eels-home-rugby-shirt-2001-s_1907_1_500x400.jpg

Last edited:
I agree - have 2 jerseys per team
- a jersey in the clubs traditional colours & design as their main kit
- a "change" jersey that can either be the reverse of their main kit, or something completely different.

That way, you can allow clubs to be creative with their away jersey.

Now, on the subject of all the "Heritage", "Indigenous", "Women in league" etc rounds etc.. surely we could have 8 teams produce heritage kits, 4 teams produce indigenous kits, and 4 teams produce "Women in league" kits (or some similar combination), so that each club produces a jersey for just ONE of the themed rounds?

Also, if the normal home jersey is a heritage design (like the Eels current home jersey) then they wouldn't necessarily NEED to do a heritage jersey for heritage round!

Indeed, think it's a good way to go, put a limit on the amount of jerseys that a club brings out.

If something like that ever did come into place, I reckon that Saints and Wests would complain the loudest as they've got two clubs to combine. Guess they would have to just have to start putting some real thought into their designs for once.... aimed at you Wests Tigers :shock:

beave

Coach
One team that really pisses me off is Wests. They have an awesome set of colours but ruin it with the stupid incarnations they have been using since day dot. That white Siegfried and Roy snow leopard-esque thing they wear now is f**king ridiculous and the normal 'home' jersey is a total abortion

Why they don't just use a Balmain jersey at Leichardt, Magpies jersey at Campbo (or replace the white V with an orange V) and alternate between the 2 at ANZ/SFS and when away pick which ever one doesn't clash with the home side. The colours are a contrast FFS, if orange clashes then use the black one and vice versa. I swear they make things too hard for themselves. Both sets of fans would love it IMO.

beave

Coach
balmaintigers_89retro.jpg

wests2005nswrl6tr.jpg

WestsTigers2012JerseyBlack.jpg

tell me these don't look a shit tin better than their current jerseys?

Last edited:

Pierced Soul

First Grade
Indeed, think it's a good way to go, put a limit on the amount of jerseys that a club brings out.

If something like that ever did come into place, I reckon that Saints and Wests would complain the loudest as they've got two clubs to combine. Guess they would have to just have to start putting some real thought into their designs for once.... aimed at you Wests Tigers :shock:

saints dont have 20 diff jerseys, it's wests who make a mockery of the different jersey's

saints have 2, the red v and the red illawarra inspired one. occassionally they'll do a diff one for charity shield or anzac day

wests on the other had seem to have home, away, magpies heritage, tigers heritage, wests tigers heitage, kebab heritage, tom shines heritage....

Alpha

Juniors
Are you guys really that stupid?

It doesn't matter that we all want our teams to have one consistent jersey, it all comes down to the dollars. Each club and for that matter the clothing companies need a change to drive up profits.

You need to think of it as a business decision

Warrior@Heart

Juniors
I'd like to see the Tigers wear balmain colours when they play at leichardt and magpies colours when they play at campbelltown. Same with the dragons i'd like to see them wear steelers colours at win stadium and dragons colours at kogarah.

As for women in league round I think only 4 teams should wear pink (Panthers, Dragons, Roosters and anyone but the Raiders and the Eels)
Also I think close the gap round jerseys should be worn by teams with genuine aboriginal stars like Nathan Merritt, JT & Bowen, Ben Barba, Thaiday-Hodges & Yow yeh, Chris Sandow, Prince & Idris. Nothing against the Knights when they wore their aboriginal design but I think it would raise alot more awareness if aboriginal household names were the key focus.

Warrior@Heart

Juniors
Oh and from a business point of view I think that players should have their names on the back of their jersey. Name a team from 1 to 25 before the first round and everyone in that group keeps the same number regardless of what position they play. That players number doesn't change untill next year. That way people keep buying the jerseys even though they haven't changed. It works for NBA.

counterpuncher

Juniors
Oh and from a business point of view I think that players should have their names on the back of their jersey. Name a team from 1 to 25 before the first round and everyone in that group keeps the same number regardless of what position they play. That players number doesn't change untill next year. That way people keep buying the jerseys even though they haven't changed. It works for NBA.

NBA doesn't really have that slightly important issue of space for jersey sponsorship to worry about. Name space in NRL = sponsor $$$

And the non specific numbers/positions was a quite frankly sh*thouse idea that thankfully was buried with SL.

RHCP

Bench
All the most high profile players proverbially 'own' their jersey. Saying 'Marshall' on the back isn't going to suddenly make a kid decide he wants to buy a Tigers #6, it's already immeadiately associated with Benji. Sure it changes over time but all the big names (ie. the ones who's jerseys would actually make money) are already synonymous with their number.

hrundi99

First Grade
Wests Tigers don't and shouldn't play in the heritage strips as their regular jerseys.

They are a new club and need to have their own identity.

The heritage strips are fine for heritage rounds etc.

Spitty

Juniors
Panthers have removed "Sanyo" from all 2012 advertising and brochures, including photo-shopping them out of jerseys.

Nothing official yet, but looks as though as expected they won't be major sponsors next year. No word on whether Panasonic will fill the void.

nqcowboy87

Bench
Panthers have removed "Sanyo" from all 2012 advertising and brochures, including photo-shopping them out of jerseys.

Nothing official yet, but looks as though as expected they won't be major sponsors next year. No word on whether Panasonic will fill the void.

look for palsonic to fill the void