What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2011 Jersey & Sponsorship Discussion

Tiger_Tim

Juniors
So every team this week should be wearing their 'home'/number 1 choice jersey, except Newcastle?

Tigers (Orange) v Dragons (Red V)
Broncos (Maroon) v Warriors (Black)
Manly (Marroon) v Cowboys (Blue)
Storm (Purple) v Newcastle (White - away)

Only exception could be the Warriors, who sometimes do tend to wear white even when theres no real clash

NRL-TGG

Guest Moderator
So every team this week should be wearing their 'home'/number 1 choice jersey, except Newcastle?

Tigers (Orange) v Dragons (Red V)
Broncos (Maroon) v Warriors (Black)
Manly (Marroon) v Cowboys (Blue)
Storm (Purple) v Newcastle (White - away)

Only exception could be the Warriors, who sometimes do tend to wear white even when theres no real clash

The Cowboys will probably wear there away jersey too.

I think all will wear their away strips except for Tigers v Dragons.

Disappointing.

Even the home teams?

Patorick

Staff member
Possible Manly 2012:

callout-buttons.png

Goddo

Bench
Terrible. The current Manly home and away is the best, most easily identifiable "brand" the Sea Eagles has.

Why fk with a good thing?

I think the Manly jersey looks pretty good.

Designers and clubs have to come up with jerseys that are different enough for people to buy them. What usually happens is that a club will bring out a "modern" designed aimed at the kiddies and the next cycle they'll bring out a "traditional" style aimed at the older fans.

Saint Doc

Coach
Terrible. The current Manly home and away is the best, most easily identifiable "brand" the Sea Eagles has.

Did you the quote from a Sun Herald story i posted yesterday about the Tigers designing their jerseys with the main aim to give their sponsors a clear ability to be read.

I think on that potential new Manly jersey, the sponsor stands out alot more than on the current jersey that has horizontal lines confusing the picture.

I wouldnt be surprised if Manly went with this jersey to boost sales, give their new sponsor prime position, and saved the current jersey for heritage round.

Saint Doc

Coach
I think the Manly jersey looks pretty good.

Designers and clubs have to come up with jerseys that are different enough for people to buy them. What usually happens is that a club will bring out a "modern" designed aimed at the kiddies and the next cycle they'll bring out a "traditional" style aimed at the older fans.

Tend to agree, I dont mind it at all.

carlosthedwarf

First Grade

Yeah, it would be like the Eels moving to a V. The club is identified with the horizontal stripes, why would you want to change it?

LineBall

Juniors
Will the IC have any say or control over club's jerseys?

IMO I would rather teams pick a more traditional design and stick with it. They should only have an alternative jumper in case of a colour clash with another team, NOT just because they are playing away from home. Having consistency with the jersey adds to the club's tradition and connection between present and past players. Teams can identify more with their team and opposing teams - particularly new fans to the game. Take Manly for example - most posters here would identify them with their horizontal striped jersey - as with parramatta ( which is great this year). Why change it to a V?

Also - can we just have one round a year where they have a one off jersey? Bloody heritage round, Indigenous round, women in league round, etc, etc. All good causes sure... but again, it devalues the club and the jersey.

**rant over**

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
If the IC is going to have any say on jerseys I'd be happy with it just limiting the amount of different strips per season. It's really getting out of hand for some clubs

flippikat

Bench
Will the IC have any say or control over club's jerseys?

IMO I would rather teams pick a more traditional design and stick with it. They should only have an alternative jumper in case of a colour clash with another team, NOT just because they are playing away from home. Having consistency with the jersey adds to the club's tradition and connection between present and past players. Teams can identify more with their team and opposing teams - particularly new fans to the game. Take Manly for example - most posters here would identify them with their horizontal striped jersey - as with parramatta ( which is great this year). Why change it to a V?

Also - can we just have one round a year where they have a one off jersey? Bloody heritage round, Indigenous round, women in league round, etc, etc. All good causes sure... but again, it devalues the club and the jersey.

**rant over**

I agree - have 2 jerseys per team
- a jersey in the clubs traditional colours & design as their main kit
- a "change" jersey that can either be the reverse of their main kit, or something completely different.

That way, you can allow clubs to be creative with their away jersey.

Now, on the subject of all the "Heritage", "Indigenous", "Women in league" etc rounds etc.. surely we could have 8 teams produce heritage kits, 4 teams produce indigenous kits, and 4 teams produce "Women in league" kits (or some similar combination), so that each club produces a jersey for just ONE of the themed rounds?

Also, if the normal home jersey is a heritage design (like the Eels current home jersey) then they wouldn't necessarily NEED to do a heritage jersey for heritage round!

I agree - have 2 jerseys per team
- a jersey in the clubs traditional colours & design as their main kit
- a "change" jersey that can either be the reverse of their main kit, or something completely different.

That way, you can allow clubs to be creative with their away jersey.

Now, on the subject of all the "Heritage", "Indigenous", "Women in league" etc rounds etc.. surely we could have 8 teams produce heritage kits, 4 teams produce indigenous kits, and 4 teams produce "Women in league" kits (or some similar combination), so that each club produces a jersey for just ONE of the themed rounds?

Also, if the normal home jersey is a heritage design (like the Eels current home jersey) then they wouldn't necessarily NEED to do a heritage jersey for heritage round!

I like your idea, would like to see it be:

- A "home" kit
- An "away" kit
- A "one-off" jumper to only be worn once during the season (heritage, WIL, etc)

If they want to make more jumpers, they can do it for the trials and for the World Club Challenge.