What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2011 ROUND 5: Bluebags -V- Dragons

Jesbass

First Grade
Newtown Bluebags -V- St George Dragons

bluebagsf7s.jpg
-V-
2010stg-main.jpg

Game Thread:
* This is a game thread only. Only game posts can be made here - team lists, substitutions, and articles.
* Any other posts may result in loss of points and is at the discretion of the referee.
* Only original articles, not used in previous games, will be marked by referees.

Naming Teams:
* 5 -V- 5 (+ 2 reserves for the visiting team, + 3 reserves for the home team)
* No 'TBA' or changing players named
* Captains must stick with original teams named

Rules: http://f7s.leagueunlimited.com/rules.php
Official Word Counter: http://f7s.leagueunlimited.com/wordcount.php

Kick Off: Sunday 15th May 2011 (2100AEST)
Full Time: Thursday 26th May 2011 (2100AEST)
Referee: Titanic
Venue: Henson Park

ground_henson_1.jpg

Last edited:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
The Bluebags bus arrives, greeting officials and shaking hands with TBA and his his/her fellow adjudicators. Beaut sunny day here in Marrickville and the hill there's plenty of football, meatpies, kangaroos and Holden cars. It's game on!

NEWTOWN BLUEBAGS TEAM - ROUND 5, 2011
jersey_bluebags_1a.gif

Kiwi
Cliffhanger
JoeD
AlwaysGreen
gorilla (c)

Bench:
Willow (vc)
Red Bear
Rexxy

Good luck one and all. :thumn

AlwaysGreen

Immortal

AlwaysGreen on the scene. As ever, always keen.

*Pop*

It was nothing, just a little twist to the knee. I was struggling to get up to play-the-ball. There was barely any pain. I hobbled a couple of steps. Goo, our trainer came up to ask me if I was alright. I waved him off and jogged back into line. But it wasn’t nothing - something inside my knee didn’t feel right. Goo looked at me anxiously before he hollered to the sideline for a replacement. It was probably nothing, just a twinge.

The Doc iced it straight away but after a couple of hours it had blown up to twice normal size. The Doc had a worried look – he asked me, "did you hear a pop?" I did, hard as it was to admit it. I knew what that pop meant. Rowey our fullback had heard the pop before and it had meant the ACL was gone. A total knee replacement and nine months on the sideline was what a pop meant.

They don’t muck around at our club. Surgery was booked for Wednesday, total ACL reconstruction. The Doc, the Ortho explained to me what was going to happen but it didn’t sink in. I’m scared shitless of anaesthesia. When I had my bicep reattached and my ankle surgery I was the same. There’s always a chance you won’t wake up. I’ve faced some tough hombres on the field and never taken a backward step but being put under scares the hell out of me. Plus, I was thinking of the nine months on the sideline. I barely realised that Jen and the kids were there with me before I went in.

I hate rehab, a lot of it is a waste of time, but I suppose they know what they’re doing. “If you put in on the rehab you’ll be back better than ever,” they say. But not always. Most blokes come back from a total knee but some don’t. The career could be over because of one little pop. Damn, I’ve been whacked from pillar to post a hundred times. Broke my arm at least three times, broke my nose at least twice a season. Hundreds of stitches and corks, knocked out cold four times. And it could all be over because of a pop?

All I see these days are physios. Two two hour sessions a day, icing and heat packing with every minute agony. This is what the public doesn’t see. They reckon it’s all dollars and girls and beer, hundreds of grand a year for 80 minutes of work a week. They don’t see me in hospital, half zonked on pain killers worrying about the road ahead. Worrying whether I’ll ever be able to run again let alone play, wondering whether I’ll ever get back to my best. Worrying about how much time I have left in the game in the game I’ve loved since I was a four-year-old. Worrying about how I can earn a decent living for my kids and whether I’ll be able to clown around with them after my career is over.

I’ve seen some of the old blokes, well not that old, blokes in their fifties, hobbling around with stuffed knees or getting hips replaced. I’ve seen some of the best young footballers you’ll ever see, their careers wrecked by injury and bad luck. I’ve been lucky; this is my first major injury apart from the bicep. But other blokes who have loved the game couldn’t come back. I don’t think I could take that.

Seven months. The Doc likes my progress but he reckons that nine months is the ‘realistic timeframe’ for my return. I see the boys most days but I feel like I’ve got nothing to contribute. I went across to Auckland to watch the boys play the Warriors but I’m not much of a spectator. We’ll make the finals this year because the boys have been outstanding. I wish I was there, but to be honest I feel like a bit of an outsider this season.

Nine months. I’m back and right to play. I’m nervous as hell, worse than the day of my first grade debut. What if it stuffs up? What if I hear that pop? Coach has had a quiet word to me about easing in, but I don’t want to be a passenger, let the boys down. The boys have been all encouragement, but I've got doubts.

I can’t do another nine months.

I don’t want to hear that pop again.

(750 words)

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
muzby swings the dragons bus in through the gates at henson park.

unloads 3 cases of KB lager, and then orders the team off the bus & into the sheds ready for a big game..

dragons team, round 5

jersey_dragons_1a.gif

1. muzby (c)
2. drew-sta (vc)
3. cheesie the pirate
4. _johnsy
5. breathingfire

res:

6. jason maher
7. dragon punk

good luck dragons, bluebags, ref, ballboys & canteen mums.

_Johnsy

Referee
After downing 3 quick cans of KB, Johnsy hits the field early as he only has 15 minutes to offer the skipper. I can see the spot defender and i am taking my cumbersome frame as quickly as i can straight at him.

739 words between stars (not inclusive of references)
Blue

It was a gorgeous day today on the Northern NSW coast, a magnificent blue sky. It’s a magnificent colour, many shades of blue evoke differing emotions.
Azure – cooling
Baby blue - innocence,
Cerulean – cool water
Cobalt - strength
Cornflour blue – grandmas hug
Corporate blue – power
Indigo - passion
Midnight blue – mystery
Royal blue - tradition
Sapphire blue - exotic
Sky blue – endless possibilities
Slate blue - storms
Steel blue aka Blue steel
zoo_narrowweb__300x405,0.jpg

Blue is the universal colour, the color of the sky, ocean, and twilight. There is no other colour that evokes imagery quite like blue does. Blue is calming, it can also be a colour of strength. Everyone loves a shade of blue, so much so in 1999 Pantone named the sky blue tone of Cerulean as the colour of the new millennium. They also named Blue Iris as the colour of 2008 stating;
“Combining the stable and calming aspects of blue with the mystical and spiritual properties of purple, Blue Iris satisfies the need for reassurance in a complex world, while adding a hint of mystery and excitement”.

Blue can also have a much more of an impact, unbeknownst to most people. It is a coincidence that most Police Forces around the world chose blue as the staple of their uniform ? No chance.
Is it also coincidence that the most purchased business suit around the world are dark blue ? No chance.
Blue conveys confidence and importance without sinister overtones. The darker to medium blues of business suits represent intelligence, stability, unity and conservation. In short, you are more likely to trust someone wearing a dark blue business suit, because dark blue is the color of truth and moderation

Why do so many companies associate themselves with blue. A quick google search gives you an idea of how many of these companies/non profit organisations try to harness the magical power of this colour.

Beyond blue - http://www.beyondblue.org.au/index.aspx?
Blue star - http://www.bluestargroup.com.au/about-blue-star
Virgin Blue - http://www.virginaustralia.com/
Blue Sheep Ugg Boots - http://www.bluesheep.com.au
Blue energy - http://www.blueenergy.com.au/default.asp
Blue Haven Pools - http://www.bluehaven.com.au/

True blue. Heard that phrase before haven’t you? Many think it is an Australian saying. Truth is it’s not. It was derived from a blue cloth made in Coventry in the late middle ages (1300-1500). The town’s clothing manufacturers had a reputation for producing a blue coloured material that didn’t fade with washing. The phrase started out as “As true as Coventry blue”. This version is backed up by the first edition of John Ray’s “A Compleat Collection of Englsh Proverbs” (1).

Blues is the name given to a music genre. It originated in African American communities of Southern USA. It encompassed spirituality, work songs, field hollers, shouts and chants, It consisted of simple rhymed narrative ballads. In a musical sense the actual term “the blues” refers to the blue devils, melancholy and/or sadness.

nsw-m.gif

But most importantly blue is the colour of state pride. My state, I love this state.
It means I belong, and those wearing the sky blue beside me will stand solid. I can depend on them and they can depend on me. I am often told that State of Origin means more to those north of the Tweed River. What an absolute load of rubbish.
How many Queenslanders get butterflies before they sit down to watch any origin game?
How many Queenslanders find it hard to sleep the night before origin due to excitement?
How many Queenslanders find it hard to sleep after the game, because the game goes around and around their head?
Certainly not that many I can tell you. No-one can doubt Origin is a different beast to those supporting either side, it has to be.

One thing is sure, when it comes around to Origin, I love nothing more than seeing that magnificent sky blue jersey, and it fills me with a sense of pride. I hate nothing more than seeing that maroon jersey, to be honest I feel like running full steam and smashing them in what would be describe by Rabs Warren as “That's the hit of the century. He’ll never get up.” Once the maroon enemy picked himself up off the ground, complaining, whingeing and quite possibly crying he’d no doubt ask. “What did you do that for”.

It’s origin time, you should expect it wearing that.
http://www.nospam09.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/steve-simpson-nsw-state-of-origin-team-2008.jpg

1 - http://www.archive.org/details/acompleatcollec00raygoog

Last edited:

Cliffhanger

Coach
Cliffhanger makes her debut for the Bluebags.

The Art of Losing

SUCCESSFUL Rugby League sides are all alike, they run straight and hard, they hang onto the ball, they back each other up in attack and defence, they’re disciplined, they make the most of their opportunities, they stick to their game plan and they commit. When a team emerges victorious it is usually for the same basic reasons; on the other hand unsuccessful teams always manage to find new ways to shoot their own feet, developing new and unusual ways to destroy their own chances.

While some teams do lose because they are simply not good enough, if the last decade of the NRL has taught us anything, it is that sometimes you can have the best team on paper, a top coach and a proven game plan and still struggle to string any wins together.

Take last year’s runners up the Roosters as an example; the Bondi boys have developed this unique ability to make any team’s goal line defence appear impenetrable. In 2011 Brian Smith’s team have reinvented the art of bombing try scoring opportunities and failing to capitalise on good field position. If the Roosters have the ball within 20 of their opposition’s try line, their opponent needs not fear, this is a team which has become notorious for terrible last tackle options. Regardless of the situation you can expect the Roosters playmakers to opt for a low percentage play in the hope they can score off every set rather than attempt to produce a repeat set and build some pressure. We saw it against the Sharks two weeks ago and even in their gritty two point win over the Knights last weekend, the Roosters were handed plenty of ball with in meters of the opposition goal line only to walk away empty handed nine out of 10 times.

Albert Einstein was once quoted as saying "insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result,” well you don’t have to be Einstein to realise the Roosters’ attacking game plan is ineffective; building pressure has become a foreign concept at the Roosters as they have went from one of the most feared attacking sides in 2010, to the most predictable in 2011.

However it’s not only within the opposition’s 20 that the Roosters consistently find new ways to turn opportunity into disaster, their ability to concede stupid penalties is unmatched by any side in the competition; conceding penalties for anything from high shots to forward passes, to balls going dead from kick off. The Roosters are guaranteed to concede stupid penalties every match.

So how is it that a team inexplicably falls so far despite holding the talent to succeed? It is simple, it comes down to one of the oldest clichés in sport; the idea of a “winning attitude.” It takes more than talent to be successful, it takes the right mindset. Prior to the 1980 Olympics Soviet sport scientists conducted an experiment on the effects of mental training including positive visualisation on Olympic athletes. They separated the athletes into four groups; the first group received 100 per cent physical training and no mental training, the second received 75 per cent physical training and 25 per cent mental training, the third group received 50 per cent physical training and 50 per cent mental training, while the last group received 75 per cent mental training and only 25 per cent physical training. What the researchers found was the group with the most mental training proved the most successful which was group 4, likewise group 3 was the second most successful, followed by group 2 and finally group 1.

Let’s relate this back to the topic of NRL sides, the best teams go into matches prepared and confident, they expect to win, they visualise it, they study their game plan knowing it will come off, as a result they always look more likely. Subsequently losing teams often play with an expectation of failure leading to all kinds of self-sabotaging errors and any chance of victory. How else do you explain a chance quickly becoming a misfortune, as a line break is immediately followed by a dropped ball, a driving tackle followed by an extra little push by the marker, and a full set in the opposition’s half culminates in a poorly weighted kick and easy meters for their opponent.

The players in a losing side have programmed their subconscious for failure.

[741 words]

Breathingfire

Juniors
Whats this? A real fire breathing DRAGON on the field?
YES! Breathing fire is what i do, wish me luck on my debut!

The Interview

ABC grandstand- Mate, a super performance from you guys tonight.

Michael Jennings- Yeah, it was a good performance from all the boys. We really ripped in there and um, showed each other courage…it was good to get the two points.

ABC grandstand- Getting a little nervous when they came back there in the second half?

Michael Jennings- Yeah, yeah, pretty nervous but um, we stood strong. We said at the start, lets start fast and finish strong and we did that so it was good.

ABC grandstand- And how was Matty (Penrith coach Matthew Elliot) at half time?

Michael Jennings- Ah you know, he was a bit aggressive, um, you know he came out hard on us. But you know, we learnt from it but um, it was good to um, get that um bit of um, inspiration from the coach so its good.

ABC grandstand- Well mate congratulations on a good win tonight.

Michael Jennings- thanks buddy.

If ever there was proof that the modern day rugby league players ‘on field’ intellect, or ‘football brain’ for want of a better word, does not translate to intelligence on the side lines in every day life: it is the interview. Ah, the dreaded, cringe inducing, recoiling disaster piece that IS the rugby league player interview.

Obviously today’s fan is a glutton for punishment. In spite of all the awkward, discomfiting, thwarting and down right embarrassing moments viewers and listeners have endured over the years, astonishingly the interview still breathes and we all keep inhaling. A paradox becomes apparent. Who is more imprudent? The foolish fanatic that willingly digests the same mundane material; or is it the composer?

The remarkable similarity between the questions being asked, complement the complete lack of imagination in the responses. It would be difficult to judge the impact of the much-publicised ‘media training’ today’s elite players receive. This writer is of the belief that all this training has managed to achieve is deprivation of character on the player’s behalf, and left the rugby league public an assortment of lip service and unrealised thoughts and ideas that propound little, if any merit what so ever.

That being the case, the player is still fallible in his lack of ability to think appropriately outside the template of the general interview. If I had a dollar for every time I heard the phrase ‘dug deep’ or ‘good to get the win’ or ‘turned things around’ I would be a very rich man. Give me another couple of dollars for every time the expression ‘I am just concentrating on playing good football for my club, and the rest will take care of itself’ has pierced my eardrums in the weeks leading to State of Origin selection.

The time has come to look at new ways to market the game of rugby league in the media. For too long the sensationalist regime of News Limited has dictated and manipulated the perception of the greatest game of all. Unfortunately it seems our players have followed suit and have been misguided in their roles as the face of our great game.

It is debatable that a few too many knocks to the noggin are to blame for the blatant lack of inspiration that swamps their media commitments, however I pledge that they are simply a product of the propaganda machine. News limited is predetermined in their targets and get what they want at the expense of any academic credibility. The players are just a pawn in the game, dishing up exactly what is expected of them and nothing more.

I challenge each and every player to unlock their personality and give something more characteristic of which they really are when addressing the media. Understandably, the entire rugby league fraternity is not going to consist entirely of intellects, however sincerity and thoughtfulness conquers all. Turn off the head and turn on the heart if you are searching for an analogy.

Rugby league will never be thought of as the intellectual mans game, but the rigid media juggernaut does nothing to help the situation. When you ask the same stupid questions, expect the same stupid answers. A domino effect is occurring and the spell needs to be broken at the root of the cause, so the flower can blossom. It is the responsibility of the media to modify their practice on interview and develop principles more closely aligned with credible literature. I have a feeling we will be waiting a long time.

Breathingfire (748 words)

Last edited:
Cheesie-the-Pirate runs onto the field for his second game for the mighty Red and Whites.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

History

The horse and buggy, gramophones, steam locomotives and the telegraph.

The stuff of nostalgia, of simpler times when men were men and life was straightforward. There are a few things that are worth noting about all of these items.

1. At one stage in history these they represented the pinnacle of human achievement;
2. Over time rival technologies replaced them in everyday use; and
3. If you really want to, you can still see this technology in use.

The first and the second demonstrate the constant evolution of human society. The mere fact that a given skill or tool takes an exalted place in our society does not mean that it will hold that place forever. Some may call that progress. Some will simply call it change. Either way the lesson of history is that no matter how amazing it appears today it is only a matter of time before automobiles, Ipods, VFTs and the internet will fall into the category of historical curiosities. Indeed, at that time there will be enthusiasts that will revel in the perceived charm and unique qualities of these modern technologies. Today’s mundane normalcy is tomorrow’s evocative whimsy.

Brown leather balls, cotton jerseys, unlimited tackles and contested scrums.

As it is with society at large, rugby league demonstrates the principles above, although perhaps not the third. We’ll return to that later. There’s no doubt that items one and two are characteristics of the evolution of the rules, skills and technology of rugby league. The humble brown leather Steeden served rugby league for decades. For most of its existence there wasn’t even a consideration of an alternative.

A sports ball was a leather skin inflated with air. It was extremely slippery on a cold and wet winter’s night but that was part of the game. As were cotton jerseys, featuring simple designs and embroidered logos. Sure, they were heavy and loose-fitting but that’s just what you wore, seemed more appropriate than Sunday best.

Then there’s the really contentious stuff, the rule changes. The unlimited tackles rule was a technology of the game. It was a concept evolved from rugby and association football that a team in possession was entitled to keep it until they made a mistake. For many years it was simply how football was played and at that time it was the height of sporting technology, an award for possession in a time when the game was characterised by muddy cricket pitches, and leather balls. Yet the four tackle rule and then its six tackle cousin came along and represented an alternative technology, one of creativity and flair which through limited possession encouraged more exciting and tactical play.

Not long later uncontested scrums evolved into the game. Under whelmed with the technical boredom and lopsided results that came from penalties during scrimmaging the game first introduced the differential penalty and then finally effectively removed the contested scrum from the game. The scrum remained as a tool to restart play and remove the forwards for a tackle, but was no longer a battle of weight and strength.

Which brings us back to the third principle; that technologies of old are maintained in some active use for historical reference and curiosity. Interestingly in rugby league we do not see this significantly. One can visit an exhibit of rugby league artefacts, but it’s fairly unlikely that at the major stadiums or even your local park you’ll see anybody attempting to play the game with the technologies of old. It’s an interesting phenomenon how sports don’t return to the origins of the game, even for one-off historical events. In 2008 for the centenary of rugby league in Australia games were played in 1908 style jerseys. Except of course they were polyester replicas. The ball was still synthetic and the rules were straight from the 2008 rulebook.

Perhaps this is a function of professionalism. In the professional era the safety offered by the modern rules plus the athletic ability finely tuned to the modern game would make it a challenge for elite players to adjust for a game under the old rules. But even in the non-professional ranks this kind of game is unheard of. Perhaps it’s time to change this. Just as we are all intrigued to take a ride on a steam train or see royalty attend events in horse-drawn carriages it would be a genuinely unique and historical event. If nothing else it’d be the best damned historical play you’ve seen for a while.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

749 words between the lines.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
jersey_dragons_1a.gif

Standing at the footsteps of the NRL head office, Drew-Sta lets rip…

mlkfreeatlast.jpeg

The Dream

I am happy to join with you today in what will go down in history as the greatest demonstration for sporting emancipation in our nation.

Five score and four years ago, several great Australians, in whose symbolic shadow we stand signed the greatest rugby player of the time, Herbert Messenger. This momentous decree came as a great beacon light of hope to millions of Australian people who had been seared in the flames of shithouse rugby union. It came as a joyous daybreak to end the long night of boring sport and the birth of rugby league.

But one hundred years later, we must face the tragic fact that the rugby league is still not free. One hundred years later, the life of rugby league is still sadly crippled by the manacles of biased media and the chains of poor television deals. One hundred years later, rugby league lives on a lonely island of poverty in the midst of a vast ocean of material prosperity.
In a sense we have come to our games so called partners to cash a cheque. It is obvious today that our partners have defaulted on this promised cheque insofar as our game is concerned. Our partners have given rugby league a cheque which has come back marked insufficient funds. But we refuse to believe that the bank of Channel 9 and News Limited is bankrupt. So we have come to cash this cheque

It would be fatal for our partners to overlook the urgency of the moment and to underestimate the determination of the supporters. This sweltering summer of rugby leagues legitimate discontent will not pass until there is an invigorating autumn of worthwhile TV rights and Victorian TV timeslots that are not after midnight. Two thousand and eleven is not an end, but a beginning.

We must forever conduct our struggle on the high plane of dignity and discipline. We must not allow our creative protest to degenerate into needless AFL or Rah Rah violence despite these heathen codes being unfairly supported. Again and again we must rise to the majestic heights of meeting unfair opposition with bigger and better crowd numbers.

Go back to Parramatta, go back to North Queensland, go back to Melbourne, go back to Manly, go back to the slums and ghetto’s like South Sydney, knowing that somehow this TV contract can and will be huge. Let us not wallow in the valley of despair.

I have a dream that one day rugby league will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We are the best f**king game of all and all other sports are not equal."
I have a dream that one day even the state of Victoria, an ignorant state, sweltering with the stupidity of AFL and soccer, will be transformed into an oasis of rugby league.

I have a dream that my four children will one day play park footy in a nation where they will not be judged by the Steeden they hold to their skin but by the performance of their local side.

I have a dream today.

I have a dream that one day the city of Melbourne, whose premier’s lips are presently dripping with the words of AFL and soccer, will be transformed into a situation where little AFL boys and Soccer boys will be shown the light and join hands with little rugby league and walk together as brothers following the Storm.

I have a dream today.

This is our hope. This is the faith with which I return to the golden district of St George. With this faith we will be able to hew out of the partners of despair a check of one billion dollars. With this faith we will be able to transform even the financial woes of Cronulla into a somewhat attractive and semi-successful league team despite their continued virginity with premiership success.

This will be the day when all of God's children will be able to sing with a new meaning Bon Jovi’s "This is our time, this is our life, this is our house!”

And if Australia is to be a great nation this must become true.

When we get TV of equitable value, we will be able to join hands and sing in the words of the old league spiritual, "Simply the best! Better than all the rest!"

731 words between the asterix. With acknowledgement and thanks to Martin Luther King.

Last edited:

gorilla

First Grade
*gorilla hyphenates himself onto the field, looking to see if anyone throws a can...*
http://www.forumsevens.com.au/team_bluebags2010.php

###################
I love a good pass

One of the great beauties of the rugby codes is something that is viewed by other codes as being geniused – the backwards pass.

Different codes have included a forward pass in their passing structure, whether it’s soccer football, Australian Rules, American football (Gridiron), or other ball sports such as water polo, basketball or netball. Even stick ball field codes such as hockey allow a forward pass.

These codes with a forward pass, in some instances, recognise that there can be some form of unacceptable benefit to forward passing, and “off-side” rules, for example in soccer or water polo reflect this recognition.

It is this perceived awkwardness of a rugby pass, being that it must not travel forward, that creates the beauty, in my opinion. It’s actually quite easy to just toss or kick the ball forward into the wide blue yonder and create some form of space and movement, whereas the intricacy of position and play are what are required in rugby.

Rugby league has some beautiful passing but before leaving rugby generally, I’m reminded of the greatest attitude in rugby: the belief that you should promote the position of the person to whom you are passing. It is this axiom that is central to the pass – in any code, but due to rugby’s peculiarities, it is fundamental to winning and the game’s beauty.

The passes I like are many and varied – they come from when I’ve played and when I’ve watched but one way or another, these passes have brought joy to my heart, although it sometimes took a the passage of time to appreciate them when I was on the (watching or playing) receiving end.

A short, sharp pass off the hip or shoulder to put a player into a gap .

A long torpedo pass out to the edges to set the centre or the winger running free.

A simple cut out pass in close play.

An across-the-face pass in wider play.

The run-around pass.

The modern run-around pass where the players go through two or three run-arounds, often bringing the full-back into the play on the second or third.

A scissors movement pass (gawd, where did a scissors movement go ?)

The out-the-back, prop forward flop pass – into the arms though, not sloppily onto the ground.

An absolute gem – the around-the-corner pass, even better when falling the tackle, rather
than just standing in traffic.

The hit-and-spin , bump ‘em off and then pass.

The stand and deliver – when the player takes the line on and stands, legs akimbo straddling the world and just one-arms it off.

An old fashioned, diving spiral torpedo out from the scrum base by the half to get the distance on the opposition five-eighth.

The inside ball, from anyone, but let’s say the five-eighth or half to the full-back steaming into a gap (I believe it is called the “Hello Billy !” in Queensland).

There’s the draw-the-fullback as the last line of defence pass.

The ‘Hail Mary’ pass, over the head into nowhere except where your team-mate might be following.

The outside centre’s inside-out backwards pass to the winger, a la Gidley or Gasnier.

The last-minute pass to the winger to dive over pass.

The ‘flat’ pass from the ruck that allows the forwards to drive over the advantage line.

The prop forwards’ (Beetson was pretty good at this) before-the-line pass to the second rower.

The simple (anyone can do it as long as the runner knows what they’re doing) into the gap pass.

The across the backline, hand-to-hand passing chain.

The forward rush passing chain.

The down-the-blindside pass to set the winger free and running.

The outside pass to the fullback or winger coming across to the other side, so they run into a gap.

The pass from any of the ‘back three’ across the field on their try line to make space for a long run.

A couple of extra passes really take my fancy but can't be considered as beautiful paasses in this context:

• the non-pass (when the hooker goes over from dummy half);

• The opposition’s pass into thin air and the winger’s grasping bumble is a great pass for my team and memories;

• the dummy pass – wherever it occurs in the field and whoever pulls it off; and

• lastly, the forward pass from my team, that leads to a try, that the referee misses and about which the other team and supporters “blow up deluxe” .
##############

740 scabby piss-weak words between the 'hatching' (at least that is good). 'Hash marks' being what Afghani's leave on their trousers after as long day rolling plants.

Last edited:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Willow | Bluebags

Blackmail

"So since the world is ending tomorrow, why don't all you followers of the faith give me all their money? It's all useless now right?"
- Someone on Twitter

When Christian evangelist Harold Camping predicted The Rapture on May 21, 2011, his profile soared. In basic terms, Camping sent an ultimatum to believers and non-believers alike that this was the time to declare your faith, or risk being thrown into the fiery pits of damnation.

Incredibly, 55% of Americans believe in The Rapture, so I imagine Camping gained a few new followers that day. But as fate would have it, the zombie apocalypse did not eventuate. Skeptics are now pointing to Camping telling believers to give away their worldly possessions as they won't be needing them after May 21. Call me a cynic, but I reckon this attempt to blackmail the gullible would have delivered some tidy returns.

Meanwhile, Rupert Murdoch's News Limited are attempting their own piece of blackmail in negotiating their exit strategy from the National Rugby League (NRL). It seems that if you don't follow the Murdoch faith, there are some damning repercussions to consider.

First some background...

The old Sydney comp was controlled by the NSWRL in 1908, the status quo lasted about 80 or so years. The NSWRL eventually stepped aside and the Australian Rugby League (ARL) expanded into a national competition, absorbing the Sydney comp into the new regime. In the 1990s, broadcasting the game altered dramatically when Optus started televising all three grades of the ARL on Pay TV. There was still Free To Air (FTA) coverage, even on the ABC. Plus we had wide radio coverage as well. It was a time when too much sport was barely enough.

Then came Super League, backed by News Limited and Murdoch's other acquisition, Fox (aka Foxtel, Foxsports etc). The subsequent ARL/Super League war devastated the great game. Peace saw a new merged NRL and Optus was dumped in favour of Fox. Telstra, closely aligned with Fox, came on board. By 1998, the ARL's Optus Cup was no more... it was now the NRL's Telstra Cup.

Meanwhile, Kerry Packer's Channel Nine evoked the government's new-ish anti-siphoning laws. Essentially, the laws stopped Pay TV from gaining a monopoly on coverage, thus ensuring free TV for battlers. So Kerry had some powerful backing... not that he needed it. In any case, he basically got into bed with everyone to ensure exclusive FTA rights for Channel Nine. On the surface, it looked pretty neat. But the truth was that ownership of the "working man's game" was effectively decided in the executive boardrooms of broadcasters and multi-national corporations.

Most people were just happy to see an end to the war. But it's never that simple. It wasn't long before the FTA coverage didn't live up to expectations. Free rugby league coverage actually diminished on both radio and TV. So like lemmings, many of us gave Fox a go... supposedly advertisement free and cheap. That lasted about 18 months. A decade later, Fox's coverage wasn't cheap anymore, the quality of customer service had diminished and the adverts were flowing freely. Yep, we battlers were paying through the nose to watch the game.

Enter the Rugby League Independent Commission. A new idea formulated to coincide with the end of News Limited's involvement in the NRL.

The idea was actually put forward by News Limited. It proposes the introduction of a new eight-member commission to run rugby league, with News Limited and ARL stepping aside. In 2010, the ARL agreed in principle to the proposal. In theory, the commission would be a 'not-for-profit entity that will include the NSW and Queensland Rugby Leagues as well as the 16 NRL clubs'.

Sounds dandy, but there's a catch. News Limited want to have their cake and eat it too.

Recently, News Limited have made thinly veiled threats to start a new breakaway Super League if they don't get their way on broadcasting rights. They have already been granted the right of refusal on Pay TV until 2027 as part of the deal, but there remains a 'stand-off over the terms of the non-compete clause'.

Good grief Rupert, haven't you sucked enough out the game? I just want to watch my footy.

Intelligent folk don't fall for the 'end is nigh' rhetoric when a religious nutter is speaking. Equally, we shouldn't be falling for any three-card tricks that come out of News Limited. Here's hoping there are enough intelligent folk working in the NRL.

Words | 750

Ref | SMH Link ; Gov't Link

Last edited:

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
muzby throws away the empty KB can, and runs onto the field for the dragons

jersey_dragons_1a.gif

750 words title to end..

313291_for_sale_sign_small1.jpg

Location Location Location

Every year there is debate regarding the future of NRL clubs without the financial support of the Leagues Clubs themselves. To combat the loss of pokies revenue, clubs are turning to the private sector for investment, however it’s not always easy to attract the right investor.

Maybe it’s time that the clubs turn to new ways of attracting the private dollar. With Australia’s property market booming, it’s time to think outside the square.

It may not be too long into the future that you are kicking back on a Saturday morning with a coffee, pick up the newspaper, turn to the real estate pages and see the following:

Balmain
A great example of a former duplex converted into one home. This property has a certain sheen and is expected to keep providing positive returns for the future. Comes with investment fibro flat in Campbelltown

Brisbane
Move to Australia’s fastest growing city and secure your future. With a long term tenant about to leave at the end of the year, you can come in and make your mark on this property which has a thoroughbred prestige.

Canberra
Blue Chip Canberra Property! Your chance to rub shoulders with politicians and residents of the national capital. Secure this unique property which is surrounded by a great local nursery. *Note* not suitable for pet owners.

Canterbury
This property is well known in this multicultural area as a great family home. Vendor selling as parcel with land in Liverpool area – build your own Oasis (STCA).

Cronulla
Seaside haven in need of some TLC. Get in now to secure this property at a great price. This old girl has seen better days, but the right owner can renovate or relocate (SCTA) to create their own dynasty.

Eastern Suburbs
Become a Bondi local and enjoy everything the Eastern Suburbs has to offer. This 103 year old residence has a rich history combined with a great outlook. Recent renovations by recent owners has placed this property in a position that can be enjoyed for years to come. Comes complete with two Fords in the garage.

Gold Coast
This 5 year young property is a shining example of quality craftsmanship. With quality fixtures throughout, including world class Gym and a great new stadium, this property is fit for a prince.

Kogarah
Here is a wonderful example of a former duplex being converted into a great new home. Many family generations have enjoyed this property, which comes with it’s own holiday home in Wollongong.
*Note* Property being sold with Trophy in hallway, however this item is only on loan for the remainder of the year.

Manly
Live in the heart of bustling Brookvale. This renovators delight offers the astute purchaser the opportunity to pick up a grand old girl in need of some TLC – particularly some new doors.

Melbourne
Here is a chance for the sport lover to move to Australia’s sporting capital - the land of trams, coffee and culture. With a recent complete makeover, this is your chance to pick up a unique property that certainly stands out from the immediate neighbours.
*Note* This property comes with two titles for the same land.

Newcastle
<SOLD> Recently picked up by an astute hunter. Another wanted.

New Zealand
Don’t be sheepish - move yourself to the land of the long white cloud and get away from the rat race. This property provides you with a unique chance to be a warrior in the sleepy NZ market.

Parramatta
West is best for all aspiring property gurus. This property could do with a slight modernisation, with many features from the 80s starting to show their age, but perfect for those with an eye for the future. With the Hayne Train stopping right outside, you won’t need the car.

Penrith
Move yourself to the foothills of the mountains and pick up this impressive property with it’s own massive gaming area. First to see will buy.

Redfern
Relive the grandeur of the early 1900’s with this inner city terrace home. This home is a renovators dream – your chance to bring the old girl back to her former glory, which will be something to crow about to the neighbours.

Townsville
Enjoy a sea change to tropical North Queensland with this 16 year old property – it’s a hit with the locals, particularly on a Saturday night.
Of course, if you do ever read something like this on a Saturday morning, I recommend putting the coffee down and going back for a couple more hours sleep.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
JoeD for Bluebags (Willow posting by proxy)

Why Origin has to change - a Kiwi perspective

I have very fond memories of Origin. I started watching it properly in the early nineties and I was always a Queensland fan. They did a great job of painting themselves as the underdog and I guess that struck a chord with me (and all my family, we all preferred Queensland). Slowly the shine has worn off for me to the point where I did not watch last night's game at all.

Why was Origin so good? Well, in my mind there were three main reasons why Origin was great.

Firstly it was because it was the pinnacle of rugby league. It was the undisputed best players in the game spread between two even teams. Australia's dominance over New Zealand meant that Test matches could only match the intensity one in five or one in 10 games. Every single Origin match was a classic, a true battle of the titans and the outcome was never a forgone conclusion.

Secondly it really seemed like the players hated each other. The fans certainly did and for the 80 minutes the game lasted the hatred and passion oozed from every player on the field. Growing up on rugby union, the closest I got to this was Auckland versus Canterbury, a puny stepbrother of a rivalry.

Lastly, and the really great thing about Origin, there were things happening on the field that you would not see in a NRL club game. The rules, it seemed, were slightly different. The games were harder, faster and more intense. As a result the referees were happy to let them be that way, often turning a blind eye to certain events. One of my earliest memories of league is watching an Origin game and witnessing my first elbow facial and a few minutes later somebody getting their face pushed into the mud. The referee was nowhere to be seen!

But slowly all three have faded.

Technology and society have conspired to 'clean up' the game. The rules of Origin now seem to be almost in line with club games. No longer will officials and the judiciary let the games go the way they once did. The ever present cameras catch every indiscretion.

Along with the club like officiating has come club like professionalism from the players. Rugby league is more of a job than ever before and it seems that this attitude has even crept into Origin. Just as I do not hate my competitors with parochial fervor I don't see the same hate between the Maroons and Blues anymore.

Most importantly however the fact is that Origin is no longer the pinnacle. It is no longer he best players in the game. The quantity and the quality of the Kiwis and Pacific Islanders throughout the NRL means that by restricting Origin selection to those only eligible for Australia guarantees Origin is no longer the ultimate. Not only that but the current selection policy fights against the growth of the international game.

So here is my solution. Unfortunately I can not see the hatred and the 'Origin' rule interpretations returning. So the only thing we can do to make Origin great again is to make it the best players fighting it out. Open up the selection to everyone playing NRL. Would Benji playing for the Blues be any different than born in Toowoomba Peter Stirling being a Blue? Or NSW born and raised Inglis representing Queensland? And what is going to happen when Melbourne create their first home grown superstar? His selection for either side would make about as much sense as Karmichael Hunt's for Queensland.

Origin is not what it once was. The fire and passion has slowly leeched out of it. The only way to bring it back to being a highlight of the sporting calendar is to widen the selection criteria so that the best players are able to picked.

*653 words*

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I love the smell of 5v5 in the morning...

Looks like some great scrambling on both sides. Well done to everyone. Good luck all. :thumn