What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2012 Australia Open Campaign

Bulldog Force

Referee
Some early results:

[ALL straight sets victories]

E. Daniilidou over K. Krumm
L. Tsurenko over A. Rus
V. Azarenka over H. Watson
C. Dellacqua over B. Jovanovski :cool:
A. Garrigues over E. Birnerova

Bulldog Force

Referee
Daniela Hantuchova is the latest victor for the womens. The Slovakian beauty with a tough 3-set win against Russian Varvara Lepchenko.

Chip Bayless

Juniors
Great news Dellacqua. It's a shame I missed her first Grand Slam win. Love watching this girl. I hope she kicks on to have a great career.

Verdasco received a warning for coaching from the stands. Blew up a bit. Tomic needs to capitalise. Tomic down a set and 3-2 in second. This is going to be a tough round one win if he can overcome Verdasco here . Heating up in Melbourne.

Bulldog Force

Referee
Tomic couldn't capitilise on a 6-5 lead, and now we're heading into a tie-breaker. Looks like it will be make or break for the youngster!

Chip Bayless

Juniors
Tomic blew a great opportunity. He is done. Might steal this set, I cannot see him clawing back from first round exit though. Such a shame. Happy to be proven wrong, just can't see it. Mentally he ain't there nor strong enough to win this.

In his defence, Verdasco is one of the toughest players to beat on the tour. There are lesser players seeded higher than him.

Chip Bayless

Juniors
In his defence, Verdasco is one of the toughest players to beat on the tour. There are lesser players seeded higher than him.

Agreed. Doesn't change anything though. Tomic had him and let it go rather cheaply it must be said. I believe he is now to be judged the same as we judged Hewitt early. Tomic is our guy now. Tomic comes under the microscope others have been under win, lose or draw. This is a top ten talent who I believe has a breakout year in 2012. I wanted it to start at his home Grand Slam though we may have to wait.

Big break point. Let's do this Tomic!

Chip Bayless

Juniors
Gutsy third set win. PROVE ME WRONG TOMIC! Love the Australian Open. I would love to see him through to second round with Dellacqua.

Agreed. Doesn't change anything though. Tomic had him and let it go rather cheaply it must be said. I believe he is now to be judged the same as we judged Hewitt early. Tomic is our guy now. Tomic comes under the microscope others have been under win, lose or draw. This is a top ten talent who I believe has a breakout year in 2012. I wanted it to start at his home Grand Slam though we may have to wait.

Big break point. Let's do this Tomic!

Fair enough, I don't think he's at the level to challenge for grand slam events just yet. Remember, he's 19, Hewitt won his first at 20. I think he'll have a big year (probably finish ranked 10-20) and then have his big break out year in 2013 where he challenge for major tournaments.

Chip Bayless

Juniors
2013 is more realistic I give you that, I just have high hopes for Tomic. I think he is as they say "one out of the box". I don't think he is a Grand Slam winner in 2012, though I think he puts together a couple break out performances. I was looking at the Australian Open and Wimbledon. The US Open is there too, I think the French Open is beyond him at the moment.

Well aware of his age, I believe he is a better talent and player than Hewitt at the same age. More complete game.

2013 is more realistic I give you that, I just have high hopes for Tomic. I think he is as they say "one out of the box". I don't think he is a Grand Slam winner in 2012, though I think he puts together a couple break out performances. I was looking at the Australian Open and Wimbledon. The US Open is there too, I think the French Open is beyond him at the moment.

Well aware of his age, I believe he is a better talent and player than Hewitt at the same age. More complete game.

Agreed, although I think at the moment how far he goes in the majors will depend on his draw. I personally think the winner of this match will get to the 4th round against Federer, so if he can jag it he probably will go deep here. He's got another break in the 4th, so if he can hold on and take it he'll be in the 5th set with momentum.

Chip Bayless

Juniors
Good call mate, I too had him in a round four match up vs Federer. What I am loving is how he has responded two sets down. Surprised me. He looked mentally done in this one. Tomic is cruising nicely right now, if he can level 2-2, he will be hard to stop.