What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2012 Australia Open Campaign

Jordan

Juniors
Not sure how many times you have to beat someone before you're considered better than them. Plus there is a lot more competition in mens tennis these days. A few years ago was pretty poor compared to now and found himself often facing players the likes of Roddick, Hewitt, Philippousis, Baghdadis etc in finals.. To his credit though, you can only play who is in front of you and Federer won a lot of those matches when it counts.
Also people seem to think that Rafa has only had dominance only the last couple of years, which is wrong as well. He was winning matches against Federer early in his career, and not just on clay. Federer had dominance on grass for a while there, but I think Nadal's 2008 win against him in the Wimbledon final was immense. I think deep down Federer would be dirty that he hasn't been able to get one up on Nadal at the French.

Bulldog Force

Referee
I think deep down Federer would be dirty that he hasn't been able to get one up on Nadal at the French.
He would be dirty about that. The only year Federer won the French Open was in 2009. He won the other 3 Grand Slams in 2004, 2006 and 2007. He has never been able to hold all 4 majors at the same time - the French Open has been his biggest duck!

joshie

Live Update Team
i hate them both tbh.

and the only guy i like tonight is Djokovich. we need some fresh blood in the mens division.

Bulldog Force

Referee
i hate them both tbh.

and the only guy i like tonight is Djokovich. we need some fresh blood in the mens division.
I hear ya Joshie! I think Matt Ebden has potential. I mean I had no idea who the hell the guy was until this tournament started. He's out #2 player behind Tomic. He's got potential. That's what this Australian Open tournament does... it brings stars out and makes people who were pretty much unknowns a couple of weeks ago household names!

joshie

Live Update Team
I hear ya Joshie! I think Matt Ebden has potential. I mean I had no idea who the hell the guy was until this tournament started. He's out #2 player behind Tomic. He's got potential. That's what this Australian Open tournament does... it brings stars out and makes people who were pretty much unknowns a couple of weeks ago household names!

Glad somebody agree's with me! And yeah I have heard some whispers about that guy. Future is looking bright! Did you hear about Tomic and the drama with the police haha?

Bulldog Force

Referee
Yeah I heard about that. I'm not sure what was going on there, but I'd say the cops were just doing their job. It's a storm in a teacup scenario, only because he's well known. I didn't mind his flash orange BMW either :)

Bulldog Force

Referee
Interesting stats from the 2 womens games yesterday;

• Both games went to 3 sets
  • Both winners, Azarenka and Sharapova won the first set in their respective matches
  • Azarenkas time per set: 49, 36, 47 = 2 hours, 12 mins (132 mins)
  • Sharapovas time per set: 36, 40, 56 = 2 hours, 12 mins also (132 mins)

Mr Saab

Referee
Nadal owns Roger and could easily get to 17 slams. If he wins on Sunday and takes the French (as he does) then he will be on 12 slams and he is only 25/6

abpanther

Staff member
I watched the game last night, to me it just looks like every time Rodger steps onto the court against Nadal he believes he can't win, it's written all over his face, he just looks so despondent throughout the game.

His forehand was terribly inconsistent last night.

I don't know why he doesn't serve and volley more against Nadal.

Djokovic and Murray now deep in the 5th set, Murray just broke the Djokovic serve to stay in the match. 5-5 in the 5th set.

Chip Bayless

Juniors
Great match last night. Loved it.

Andy Murray blew this match more so than Djokovic winning it IMO. Murray had Novak where he wanted him heading out in to the fourth and he simply blew it. He didn't have IT. Murray did show he is closer to the top three than most give him credit for, though he also showed mentally he just isn't close to the top guys.

Djokovic was putting on a good Oscar winning performance to cover himself if he lost. He did this in the past when his opponent wouldn't wilt when he was younger. When he got a sniff that Murray didn't believe he could finish him off, Novak lifted and when he fires his game is too good for just about anyone in the world today.

As for the Nadal vs Federer game, Nadal has it over Federer which is why IMO Federer cannot lay claim to being the greatest tennis player of all time. You cannot be the greatest at any sport when you have a rival who flat out dominates you.

Chip Bayless

Juniors
I have Sharaprova tonight and Rafa tomorrow.

I always take Serena in any tournament she enters though if I had a favourite, it would be Sharapova.

Rafa's window of opportunity outside the French Open is closing IMO (I say that as I believe his body will wear down sooner rather than later given what he puts himself through) and he is well placed against Djokovic who has beaten him in two (or is it three?) consecutive Grand Slam finals. I can't see him getting a hat-trick against Nadal as Rafa has looked the better player this tournament. Murray blew it and against Ferrer Novak looked off his game.

For Novak to win, he will need to get it done in three or four. He won't win in five this tournament against Nadal.

joshie

Live Update Team
Australian Open time. And this is quite interesting. There seem's to be a choir singing "You raise me up" on the court as they show a montage of Sharapova and Azarenka.

And Sharapova for me :)