What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2012 Gains and Losses and possible squad

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
storm junior..

made a news limited list list of the "top 50 rookies" across AFL, yawyon and NRL two years ago..

some interesting names from a league perspective:

sisa waqa, ben jones, kevin gordon, donald malone, ben hunt, lingwoodock, korbin sims, dane gagai, aaron sweeney, harry seijka, kayne lawton, jharal yoh yeh, kevin proctor, joe tomane, ronnie alovili, tim mahhah, karl filiga, chris mcqueen, william hopoate, jai ingram, wayne ulugia, waita setu, cory mcgrady, danial joyce, willie tupou, david mead, brady payne, and greg waddell

list stolen with pride from another forum.. no link tho..

Minh

First Grade
1. Moltzen
2.Morris
3. Copper
4. Stanley
5. Nightie
6. Soward
7. Hornby
8. Weyman
9. King
10. Merrin
11. Creagh
12. Scott
13. Young
14. Hunt
15. Prior
16. Marketo
17. De Belin

So not even one recent signing in the forwards ie. Miller, Vea, Ah Mau, Latimore there?

Minh

First Grade
Fair to say Moltzen is and will be our biggest signing for 2012 I wonder because I don't see any shock signings in the near future.

Does this mean a big recruitment drive will be in place for the 2013 or 2014 seasons after our older players retire, we've lost the best coach now I would not mind seeing us sign a really big name player someone like Jonathan Thurston or to a lesser extent Keiran Foran or Dugan and let's bring back Josh Morris.

Minh

First Grade
We have the right team. The majority won it in 10, we just need a new approach

Yes we do I think we will be very competitive in 2012, it's only when Hornby, Young and Cooper retires I think we need to make a marquee signing unless of course Kyle Stanley and or Cameron King become potential superstars themselves at which point we would be going all out to retain them. Long term I would love to see Josh Morris back here, I believe if we have had him in 2009 we could have won the comp.

grouch

First Grade
Not to put too much pressure on Cameron King... but...

In 2009 he captained the victorious NSW Under 18's and Australian Schoolboys (winning man of the match in both Aus games). Last year he was selected for the Junior Kangaroos, and has been selected again this year - despite playing only 5 games in NYC all year.

So yeah, he has the hallmarks of a future star

Minh

First Grade
Not to put too much pressure on Cameron King... but...

In 2009 he captained the victorious NSW Under 18's and Australian Schoolboys (winning man of the match in both Aus games). Last year he was selected for the Junior Kangaroos, and has been selected again this year - despite playing only 5 games in NYC all year.

So yeah, he has the hallmarks of a future star

Danny Buderus and Cam Smith without the grubby stuff he should try to emulate these guys, they are the best.

Minh

First Grade
Kyle Stanley people are all saying how great a 5/8 he is, if this is the case he should have no problem handling the fullback position which is a bit like a second 5/8 in attack anyway. The greatest 5/8 of the modern era Darren Lockyer started out as a fullback both positions require good to blistering speed and vision.

Minh

First Grade
Our 3 biggest losses for next year are Boyd, Gasnier and likely Cuthbo. Our gains would be possibly Moltzen, a bunch of first grade level forwards, Chase Stanley and Vidot. I think where we benefit most is that our young guns Kyle Stanley, King and Rein will get more time in first grade.

Gasnier was very good without being his old brilliant self, he could still beat a man with footwork but lacked the old speed and power to finish. Boyd by his lofty 2010 standards was below par, and Cuthbo showed what he was capable of in the end there but did not show it enough during the season.

Kyle Stanley, King, Rein and Moltzen all possess that "X Factor" about them. Chase Stanley was a very good signing throw in a couple of aggressive forwards like Miller and maybe De Belin/ Latimore.

I think we can do better next year, and for the most part towards the end in 2011 we underachieved but it was a very turbulent year, Manly will face much of the same next year with the coach leaving and with one eye towards his future club tagging players along, the players will lose their motivation and mental edge.

2012 will not be just a rebuilding year for us, we are definately top 4 material if we can get motivated and the coach can build on our strengths in defense and improve our attack and aggression/mongrel overall, we can bring the trophy back to Kogarah and Wollongong.

Go The Mighty Dragons!!!

Mr Red

First Grade
Our 3 biggest losses for next year are Boyd, Gasnier and likely Cuthbo. Our gains would be possibly Moltzen, a bunch of first grade level forwards, Chase Stanley and Vidot. I think where we benefit most is that our young guns Kyle Stanley, King and Rein will get more time in first grade.

Gasnier was very good without being his old brilliant self, he could still beat a man with footwork but lacked the old speed and power to finish. Boyd by his lofty 2010 standards was below par, and Cuthbo showed what he was capable of in the end there but did not show it enough during the season.

Kyle Stanley, King, Rein and Moltzen all possess that "X Factor" about them. Chase Stanley was a very good signing throw in a couple of aggressive forwards like Miller and maybe De Belin/ Latimore.

I think we can do better next year, and for the most part towards the end in 2011 we underachieved but it was a very turbulent year, Manly will face much of the same next year with the coach leaving and with one eye towards his future club tagging players along, the players will lose their motivation and mental edge.

2012 will not be just a rebuilding year for us, we are definately top 4 material if we can get motivated and the coach can build on our strengths in defense and improve our attack and aggression/mongrel overall, we can bring the trophy back to Kogarah and Wollongong.

Go The Mighty Dragons!!!

Interesting thoughts, some i agree with, however you rate the loss of Cuthbertson more significant for the club long term then the loss of Alex McKinnon? McKinnon will be a superstar in a season or two under Bennett.

overall i think a lot of our recruitment has been done based on "untapped potential" rather then any proof that the players have shown on the field... could work, or could backfire...
personally i would have liked to have seen more thought in strengthening the halves, i think the moltzen signing was initially designed to cover this, however with his excellent form at fullback for the tigers they are now left wondering who will provide the halfback coverage in the event Hornby has a major injury or loss of form...

Minh

First Grade
Interesting thoughts, some i agree with, however you rate the loss of Cuthbertson more significant for the club long term then the loss of Alex McKinnon? McKinnon will be a superstar in a season or two under Bennett.

overall i think a lot of our recruitment has been done based on "untapped potential" rather then any proof that the players have shown on the field... could work, or could backfire...
personally i would have liked to have seen more thought in strengthening the halves, i think the moltzen signing was initially designed to cover this, however with his excellent form at fullback for the tigers they are now left wondering who will provide the halfback coverage in the event Hornby has a major injury or loss of form...

I think Ben Hornby and Jamie Soward would be our halves combination for at least one more season possibly two. After this I think we will see Kyle Stanley play there which everyone seems to think is his best position 5/8 or we may have to buy a high calibre pivot/half like a Keiran Foran, Cronk, Maloney or Thurston.:cool:

Minh

First Grade
Our forwards.

8. Hunt
9. King
10. Weyman
11. Scott
12. Creagh
13. Young

14. Prior
15. Merrin
16. Miller/ De Belin/ Ah Mau/ Vea/ Latimore

17. Rein/ Chase or Kyle Stanley.

I'm now leaning towards our forward pack being quite similar to last year with Hunt and Prior playing to retain their positions in the top 17, we now have good depth in the forwards and competition for positions will be quite strong, inevitably there will be injuries but I think we can cover well next year.

Latest posts