What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2012 Gains and Losses and possible squad

Minh

First Grade
Spot on. Im very excited about 2012. Dont forget Chase Stanely i think he will be the big surprise. Personally i think he will fill Gazniers spot in the center.

I always thought that Chase Stanley when he was playing with us was quite a potent attacking player he just seemed to push a few passes though but that can be fixed along with his defense.

Minh

First Grade
3 First Grade level Hookers Rein, Fien and King something has to give unless King or Rein can develop into Lock.

RedVDave

First Grade
Don't get me wrong I rate Kyle Stanley very highly! However I do worry about his injuries, I would take a fully fit Stanley over Vidot but thats the biggest question mark how often is he fully fit? I rate Vidot very highly as well will play for Qld IMO, I have no doubt he could play centre (I am pretty sure he has played their in FG as well) if he could not why else would he sign with us? If Morris and Nightingale are ahead of him? to play reserves I don't think so.

Mr Red

First Grade
I honestly believe that next year the Dragons will be a more attack minded team. We would have added (3) naturally attack minded players to our starting line up in Moltzen, Kyle Stanley,Cameron King plus at least 4-5 mountainous forwards and also more importantly would have freed ourselves of any expectations that we had this year ....

I truely believe that the Dragons will be playing with no pressure and combining the new blood w the vast level of experienced players already at the club and the energy of a new coaching team to become a very dangerous and fit football team (thanks to Folkesy)......we could see a "Tiger-esque" mentality creep into our play - a combination of fearless attack, aggressive forward play and dogged defence is what will become the norm for Dragons 2012..The need to also change our style of play will be necessary to survive - not much but enough to accommodate the brilliance that Moltzen, Styles and King bring to the team!! .

Expect Merrin to oust Wyman to a bench position - Merrin is ready for the step up now - he's aggressive and tireless.

I also totally believe that Soward will come out of his shell and start backing himself more this will happen only because he will become a self - annointed "team leader" and will believe that the team rests on his shoulders and will need to take major initiatives ..his fatherly figure in Bennet has left and now needs to be doing it on his own!

I def see Hornby moving to a bench position but only during the season as it becomes more apparent to everyone that Kyle Stanley is the future Dragons 5/8 without doubt- he's not a centre and adds the "X" factor that so many other great NRL 5/8 bring to their game (Benji, Foran)

The total basis of our team being a better football side in 2012 will be built around speed around the play the ball, variety around the ruck and bigger and more aggressive forward pack....

PS: We will not be ravaged by SOO duties as well maybe 1-2 players tops not like this year.....THIS WILL BE A HUGE PLUS!!

Im very confident for 2012!!!!!

1. Moltzen
2. Nightingale
3. C Stanley
4. Cooper
5. Morris

6. K Stanley
7. Soward

8. Merrin
9. King
10. Hunt
11. Creagh
12 Scott
13. Prior

14. Young
15. Hornby
16. Weyman
17. Miller

you keep raving about our bigger more aggressive forward pack which we will build our success on next season, yet you have named the EXACT same forwards that we have had this season apart from a washed up forward called Miller who keeps knocking himself out??

I'm really looking forward to the progress of De Belin reminds me of a Martin Lang type player that will hit it up all day long

st.phil

Bench
Far to negative Mr Red - defence wins big games as we have seen with saints over the past three years. The defence will not go backwards next year - folkes may add some even tougher edge? Good young forwards coming through, agree with others on de belin...off season in the top squad and he'll be pressing for first grade. Au Mau and Matthews are good prospects and that lunatic from canberra should bring some serious competition to our current pack of which we are only losing Green. I can't believe people keep talking down weyman and talking up hunt. I think Hunt is a passenger in the current pack...he is too little a nd get's physically dominated when carrying the ball and he does not have an offload. Decent metre eater but I think he should be used at best in the jon green second bench prop position. Merrin and Weyman are the starting props for mine.

Oh and one quicky...would moltzen have hit gaz on the chest in the set after we scored the first try? I thought our passing let us down a little...moltzen, stanley and king will improve this in 2012 and give us another decent shot at winning it.

Players coming off contract next year: Trent Merrin, Brett Morris, Beau Scott, Dean Young, Jeremy Latimore, Michael Greenfield.

I think we need to move to secure Trent, Brett and Beau early on in 2012.

There will be interest from other clubs for sure.....

Father Ted

First Grade
1 T Moltzen
2 J Nightingale
3 K Stanley
4 M cooper
5 J Morris ............Never shake hands with a grub
6 J Soward.......... Note to halves we have a right side as well
7 B Hornby.......... No More silly shepards. The refs know it's you. Short Kicking game good, Long kicking game, what long kicking game?
8 D Hunt
9 C King .............Watch Cam Smith and do the same
10 T Merrin
11 B scott ...........Your a rep player now Stop popping panic balls
12 B Creagh .........concerned he is missing too many tackles lately
13 J De Belin........ Old enough to bleed old enough to be butchered
14 D Young.......... Lifts the team from the bench and its better for his knees
15 J miller .............Have fun Knock yourself out literally
16 M Weyman
17 M Rein ...............As with King

Prior, Fien, Vidot etc try to win spots back

Last edited:

Mr Red

First Grade
I'm really looking forward to the progress of De Belin reminds me of a Martin Lang type player that will hit it up all day long

yeah i agree with this, he has the mongrel i think we miss in the forwards at the moment, i expect big things from him in 2013...

Mr Red

First Grade
Far to negative Mr Red - defence wins big games as we have seen with saints over the past three years. The defence will not go backwards next year - folkes may add some even tougher edge? Good young forwards coming through, agree with others on de belin...off season in the top squad and he'll be pressing for first grade. Au Mau and Matthews are good prospects and that lunatic from canberra should bring some serious competition to our current pack of which we are only losing Green. I can't believe people keep talking down weyman and talking up hunt. I think Hunt is a passenger in the current pack...he is too little a nd get's physically dominated when carrying the ball and he does not have an offload. Decent metre eater but I think he should be used at best in the jon green second bench prop position. Merrin and Weyman are the starting props for mine.

Oh and one quicky...would moltzen have hit gaz on the chest in the set after we scored the first try? I thought our passing let us down a little...moltzen, stanley and king will improve this in 2012 and give us another decent shot at winning it.

take the blinkers off - i said we will have a competitive team next year and will make the top 8 again... however we will lack that killer punch or "x" factor when it comes to the big matches without Boyd and Gasnier.
we need a halfback that can control a match..

i think that is a fair assessment of where we stack up at the moment for next season and i think a lot of people will agree with this..

st.phil

Bench
I guess we will see - but I believe the losses of boyd and gaz will be countrebalanced by the team improving in other areas

Ray Parlour

Juniors
17 to start round 1;

Moltzen
Morris
K.Stanley
Cooper
Nightingale
Soward
Hornby
Merrin
Rein
Weyman
Creagh
Scott
f**king Hunt

King
Young - not demoting young, but think he needs to be managed next year with his dodgey knees
Prior - playing as a prop, where I think he goes best
DeBelin/Ah Mau - to add a bit of agression off the bench, bit like how cuthbo went for us this year

I'm happy with all our signings except for that genius Josh miller. We will have excellent depth next year.

Wasn't a fan of moltzen when he signed, but he has changed my mind in the last 2 months at the tigers.

centralsaint

Juniors
What happened to Greenfield? He was going ok than he dissappeared. Was it an injury or attitude problem. Is Marketo a certain starter next year because there has been no annoucement.

Minh

First Grade
What happened to Greenfield? He was going ok than he dissappeared. Was it an injury or attitude problem. Is Marketo a certain starter next year because there has been no annoucement.

Plugging away I guess and with all those forwards we've signed recently i don't like their chances of cracking first grade either, I think Marketo is a bit too small for second row.

RedVDave

First Grade
I was told by a mate who has a connection at the Storm that Greenfield is heading there.

Only problem is he signed on for another year, unless of course he was granted a release but I doubt that would be the case otherwise we would not have given him another year, that would mean we are basically handing Melbourne a freebie.

Dragonsforever

Juniors
I can appreciate everyone's opinion of Kyle Stanley and his potential but he worries me due to getting injured constantly. That goes for Chase too. Overall, I think its looking exciting for 2012 with the new signings and direction. I think there is every chance that our losses will be offset by our gains and I am relieved that we are finally signing some more big front rowers. We always seem to have second rowers and centres but not many front rowers for some reason. Anyway, I hate the off season. Bring on 2012.

dragondad

First Grade
Just had confirmed that Greenfield is a Melbourne done deal. I'd say my source is very reliable.

Latest posts