What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2012 Halfback

BunniesMan

Immortal
Now that we have some money, how about going after Albert Kelly and Gareth Widdop?

They're both 2 very good young halves, how about throwing the money we would have given to Sandow, and the decrease in Sutton's contract (as well as the money we save with his long service allowance) at those 2?

Surely Melbourne can only offer a limited amount to Widdop, and it wouldn't be that hard to take a player from Cronulla, especially one that is young and talented.

Jimmy Smooth

Juniors
Widdop wont leave the storm, plus he is only developing as a 5/8th and is a decent Fullback, i dont see him fitting into the #7 slot

Zigwaa

Bench
I reckon we go after Beau Henry, looked really good in his few games at the Knights and there won't be room for him next season up there.

Jimmy Smooth

Juniors
Same problem as Widdop, main pos is 5/8th. I would prefer two players playing in there preferred position then a gun playing out of his comfort zone a little.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Widdop wont leave the storm, plus he is only developing as a 5/8th and is a decent Fullback, i dont see him fitting into the #7 slot
I meant Widdop at 6 and Kelly at 7. Widdop as a 6 is an upgrade over Sutton. And although Kelly has played mostly at 6 I think he is a natural 7, and has as much potential as Sandow has.

Zigwaa

Bench
I meant Widdop at 6 and Kelly at 7. Widdop as a 6 is an upgrade over Sutton. And although Kelly has played mostly at 6 I think he is a natural 7, and has as much potential as Sandow has.

Widdop re-signed for the storm not long ago I'm pretty sure.

Kelly at 7 and Henry 6 is the way forward.

Even worth a look at Ben Roberts or Aiden Sezer from the dogs to see if they're available?

BranVan3000

Coach

Even worth a look at Ben Roberts or Aiden Sezer from the dogs to see if they're available?

I don't think Widdop has resigned? Sezer has signed to the Dogs

BunniesMan

Immortal

Not according to the "When are we going to sign Widdop" thread on the Storm forum.

The reason I mention Widdop is unlike Parra, the Storm would have to have limited cap space, so there could be an opening there...

Zigwaa

Bench
Yeah sweet. I think Widdop is thriving with cronk, smith and slater. Dunno if he'd be as effective without those sorts of players around him.

evilpandas

Juniors
I hope not Kelly, When he was with the Wenty Magpies he would go missing for weeks on the piss and not tell anyone.

Mattyoh

Juniors
Yeah sweet. I think Widdop is thriving with cronk, smith and slater. Dunno if he'd be as effective without those sorts of players around him.

No one would be. Look at Inglis. We wont have Luke Stuart or Ben Ross next year, you would hope we would buy some solid front rowers. Not blow it all on expensive halves. Scoring points is not an issue. We need a number 7 that can tackle, kick and pass the ball early to GI.

Mr Spock!

Referee
No one would be. Look at Inglis. We wont have Luke Stuart or Ben Ross next year, you would hope we would buy some solid front rowers. Not blow it all on expensive halves. Scoring points is not an issue. We need a number 7 that can tackle, kick and pass the ball early to GI.

Was watching Peter Wallace the other night and he plays exactly that role for the Broncos. Not a star, not much speed, but does his job and doesn't make mistakes.

Ttime

Juniors
We don't need another Sandow (Kelly) especially when that player is not even as good as Sandow.

Why do you guys think Souths will not re-sign Ben Ross?

Ike E Bear

Juniors
I'd actually like the Eels to hold onto Robson. Good back up and I think he should be playing more dummy half.

I think the Bunnies could do worse than Robson, as well ... even at 5/8. But, like the Finch situation, he needs a quality halfback to control and create. He'd be a cheaper version of Finch (which I think is why Daniel Anderson let Finch go in the first place).

Bunnies could do a lot worse than ...

6. Robson
7. Leuluai
13. Sutton
18. Reynolds

With a medium to long term goal of grooming Reynolds for the halfback spot with Leuluai moving to 5/8.

If Leuluai is a pipedream, then Seymour probably needs to be looked at.

Whichever direction they go, I hope they favour experience over raw talent. They should be patient with the development of Reynolds, in my opinion. I think he should be at least one season, if not two, from a regular NRL gig given his age and coming off a season-long injury.

Galeforce

Bench
no thanks we should punt on Reynolds and also go after the BEST young half coming from junior rep games in 2011 , as a backup, then go after 30 year old average half from eels or past it halves like Orford etc

SaraSassypants

Juniors
Would rather a young halfback who's still learning and open to improving his game. Leuluai is the best rumor I've heard yet. Would love to see him at Rabbitohs and he'd fit right in with all our current Kiwi's. Plus Maguire will know how to get the best out of him as they will have had 2 seasons together. A good relationship between a coach and his half/s is the most important thing as the 7 will be directing the players out on the field at the end of the day. It's the most obvious choice for us next season.

Ike E Bear

Juniors
If Reynolds isn't the "BEST young half" coming through, then why not just skip straight to the other? Both options would be a punt, so why punt with a back up that's a punt?

If punting on Reynolds, then recruit a 5/8 that can support his development ... otherwise expect a similar path that Sandow's career followed.

That said, I guess Keating/Hodkinson and Foran/Cherry-Evans are going okay this year ... I expected them to struggle more, so maybe youth isn't as risky as I think. Shrug.

Latest posts