What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2012 Jersey & Sponsorship Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saint Doc

Coach
Dragons charity shield jersey costs $155. It's being worn in 1 trial match, exactly the same as the tigers. Titans have also had "training jersey" designs in recent years for normal jersey prices.

I don't see the big deal. A proper jersey with badges and sponsors etc costs $150-160

A training tshirt- lightweight polyester breathable things costs $80-90.

Personally I think it's hideous but I don't see the fuss about the price- its a proper jersey that is durable enough to wear in games therefore normal price. If you wore a normal training tshirt in a game it would get ripped to shreds!

Canard

Immortal
What extra cost?

It's the same price as other jerseys with the same basic design/materials.

I don't believe it costs $150 to manufacture any jersey.

What I was trying to say is I can't see the market for a piece of clothing that costs the same as the "game worn" jersey.

its a proper jersey that is durable enough to wear in games therefore normal price. If you wore a normal training tshirt in a game it would get ripped to shreds!

But its not worn in game conditions, why does it need to be this durable?

Saint Doc

Coach
But its not worn in game conditions, why does it need to be this durable?

Because it is worn in game conditions :crazy:

James+Tedesco+2012+Foundation+Cup+Wests+Tigers+MasgSwapINkl.jpg

Haynzy

First Grade
I've just ordered two full teams worth of fully sublimated jerseys the same as those used in the NRL as far as I know.
They cost $40 per jersey no matter how many colours or logos.

Last edited:

Saint Doc

Coach
I've just ordered to full teams worth of fully sublimated jerseys the same as those used in the NRL as far as I know.
They cost $40 per jersey no matter how many colours or logos.

That's probably about accurate.

Was it a brand like say Adidas or ISC? If not, lets say $50.

Did your jerseys have embroided logos? If not, lets say $60

But then there is a licencing fee by the NRL - lets say $10 per jersey. $70.

That is probably about right...when jerseys are on sale they're often around $75.

A 100% markup is fairly common - soft drink, sunglasses, perfume, TV. All of these things are usually sold at around 200% of the original price. Why?
Because the person that stocks the shelf has to be paid. As does the person who does the ordering. As does the person who processes the transaction in stair. Plus the rent of the shop and the electricity for lighting. Plus insurance in case someone breaks in and steals everything.

Plus the club wants to make a bit of profit, otherwise there isn't much point.

They're expensive, but the market determines the cost. If people didn't fork out for them, the bottom line wouldn't make a profit and they'd have to restructure prices.

Ordering jerseys for a local team from a jersey wholesaler is a bit different to producing NRL licensed merchandise for retail sale.

supercharger

Juniors
Plus the club wants to make a bit of profit, otherwise there isn't much point.

They're expensive, but the market determines the cost. If people didn't fork out for them, the bottom line wouldn't make a profit and they'd have to restructure prices.

Ordering jerseys for a local team from a jersey wholesaler is a bit different to producing NRL licensed merchandise for retail sale.
what is the cost of merchandise to teams and how much revenue do they generate for example in the CFL the Riders spent $7.1 million on merchandise last year
which resulted in sales of $10.3 million

Haynzy

First Grade
Yeah fair enough we didn't need the embroidered logo and the jerseys are made by an Australian company and not a big multi national.

I also agree with your licensing and retail markups etc.
If people didn't pay the money the prices would come down.

no name

Coach
NRL club jerseys would be alot cheaper to make then a local clubs, because they make a shitload of them at a time.
The mark up is due to what people are prepared to pay.

hrundi99

First Grade
Licensing fee is more than $10 I believe. The NRL gets it, keeps some and distributes the rest back to the clubs. The clubs used to share the "pool" of money but that was changed due to Richard Fisk telling the NRL that it wasn't fair on clubs who sold more jerseys. I don't know if it's changed in the last few years.

Having worked for an NRL club's merch dept I can tell you that 4 years ago jerseys were $110 (inc GST) to the club and they were being sold for $150. Pretty much everything else is around 100% markup which is typical in retail.

beave

Coach
Cowboys are doing a sharkies and putting 2000 of the members names on the heritage jersey. I got my name on it, not sure wether to buy one or not, club sent out an email yesterday for prospective buyers. Will see how the cashola is doing after soundwave tomorrow.

00002830-source.pdf

Trentosaurus

Juniors
qld%202012%20classic%20jersey%20adults.jpg

It would appear there's hope for us who hate the white chevrons on the Queensland Origin jersey. They're missing from the supporter cut. I still don't like the gold piping either but the sleeves were the dealbreaker.

Cowboys are doing a sharkies and putting 2000 of the members names on the heritage jersey. I got my name on it, not sure wether to buy one or not, club sent out an email yesterday for prospective buyers. Will see how the cashola is doing after soundwave tomorrow.

penrith are doing one aswell.

its a good initiative

sheepbender

Juniors
qld%202012%20classic%20jersey%20adults.jpg

It would appear there's hope for us who hate the white chevrons on the Queensland Origin jersey. They're missing from the supporter cut. I still don't like the gold piping either but the sleeves were the dealbreaker.

That looks cotton yea? I do prefer the synthetic ones these days.. But yea it does look better without the chevrons, but still the gold bar across the front is unneccesary.

Status
Not open for further replies.