What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2012 Jersey & Sponsorship Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spitty

Juniors
Perceived clash with Melbourne's heritage jersey.

Happened last year as well, Parramatta's heritage would of clashed with Melbourne's, so Parra wore the yellow away, and wore the heritage the following week against Canterbury.

Therein lies the problem with the way we do the Heritage round. I know 1st hand that the clubs need to submit there heritage jerseys prior to knowing who they're playing in the heritage round and where they're playing. So the chance of a clash is massive and we therefor end up with teams not wearing there heritage strip. Which defeats the purpose of heritage round.

How hard is it? Stop this chopping and changing of heritage games which has seen Canterbury playing Gold Coast in Heritage round....... What the?

Make it so we play the same team every year in heritage round and they alternate between home and away. So if your teams the away team this year, they can wear an alternate heritage strip which doesn't clash and both teams can be wearing heritage strips in heritage round and each game has some heritage significance.

I know clubs like to celebrate past GF's during heritage round but surely that can be done during a regular home game. It can't be that hard in pre season to contact the NRL and ask them if you can have a gauranteed home game against a certain team so that you can celebrate a past GF victory and get special permission to wear the GF jersey of that year.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Heritage round should always be played Round 10 for mine, and be:

Brisbane v Newcastle (88)
Canberra v Tigers (89 GF)
Canterbury v St George Illawarra (countless GFs, 20s/30s entrants)
Cronulla v Penrith (67)
Gold Coast v Melbourne (newest teams)
Manly v Parramatta (47)
North Queensland v Warriors (95)
Roosters v Souths (08)

Saint Doc

Coach

Cronulla v Penrith (67)
Manly v Parramatta (47)
Roosters v Souths (08)

Makes way too much sense to be adopted!

hellteam

First Grade
I'd rather they change every year. Become a bit stale seeing the same games every time. But in saying that, I would like to see both teams wear jerseys from the same era where possible

For those whining about the heritage status between the Dogs and Titans, there's always going to be 2 or 4 leftover teams that represent no significant heritage with each other. eg Cowboys vs Titans last year, Storm vs Raiders the years before that. Heritage round is pretty much the same as the Rivalry round after origin for me anyways.

beave

Coach
Brisbane and Melbourne need to use those heritage jerseys fulltime, they looked sensational!!!!! Far better than what they currently wear.

beads6

First Grade

Cronulla v Penrith (67)
Manly v Parramatta (47)
Roosters v Souths (08)

I like this. Makes sense to me and would build an even great rivalry.

Just to point out seems rounds 19 & 20 are both rivalry rounds

Brisbane Broncos v Warriors @ Suncorp Stadium
St George Illawarra Dragons v Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks @ WIN Stadium, Wollongong
Newcastle Knights v Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles @ Hunter Stadium
Sydney Roosters v South Sydney Rabbitohs @ Sydney Cricket Ground*
Canberra Raiders v Gold Coast Titans @ Canberra Stadium
Melbourne Storm v North Queensland Cowboys @ AAMI Park
Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs v Parramatta Eels @ ANZ Stadium
Wests Tigers v Penrith Panthers @ Campbelltown Sports Stadium

Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles v Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs @ Brookvale Oval
Parramatta Eels v Melbourne Storm @ Parramatta Stadium
Warriors v Newcastle Knights @ Mt Smart Stadium
Gold Coast Titans v Brisbane Broncos @ Skilled Park
Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks v Canberra Raiders @ Toyota Stadium
North Queensland Cowboys v Wests Tigers @ Dairy Farmers Stadium
Penrith Panthers v Sydney Roosters @ Centrebet Stadium
South Sydney Rabbitohs v St George Illawarra Dragons @ ANZ Stadium

AlwaysGreen

Immortal

Cronulla v Penrith (67)
Manly v Parramatta (47)
Roosters v Souths (08)

Jesus, Tim way too sensible - whats going on?

docbrown

Coach
If you're going to have a game that honours the 10th, 20th, 50th, 100th anniversay of some previous match, wouldn't it make sense for BOTH sides to wear full replicas of the jerseys the original teams wore?

Take a photo of the two teams in those jerseys and compare it to the original team photos. That's how you promote it.

TheDalek079

Bench
I reckon they should put "retro names" on the Storm retro jerseys as well next year. Give Lazarus, Kearns, Kimmorley, Ross, Swain etc... a run instead!

Rort-y would look great on a storm jersey

(yes i know it's spelt 'Roarty' but the inclusion of the a removes the salary cap allusion)

turbodewd

Juniors
Can I add that NRL jerseys are ugly and horrific. They almost change yearly and are covered, utterly covered, in multi-colored patches which make them look like court jester outfits. Combine this with teams occasionally using colored socks for charity...its ridiculous.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
For those whining about the heritage status between the Dogs and Titans, there's always going to be 2 or 4 leftover teams that represent no significant heritage with each other. eg Cowboys vs Titans last year, Storm vs Raiders the years before that. Heritage round is pretty much the same as the Rivalry round after origin for me anyways.

Good point, although probably the significance in this game is that the Gold Coast Giants first opponent was the Bulldogs way back in 1988.

Next years heritage round I wouldnt mind seeing games like:

Manly Vs Cronulla (40th anniversary of the 73 Grand Final)
Wests Tigers Vs Dragons (60th anniversary of the 63 Grand Final)
Penrith Vs Roosters (10 years since the 03 Grand Final)

Also the Broncos jumper looked a bit weird some of it did look like 1992, but there was too much yellow at the back.

Can I add that NRL jerseys are ugly and horrific. They almost change yearly and are covered, utterly covered, in multi-colored patches which make them look like court jester outfits. Combine this with teams occasionally using colored socks for charity...its ridiculous.

At least they have sleeves

turbodewd

Juniors
Sleeves are fine by me. The AFL and NFL know u at least dont change your jersey every single season. Teams like the Essendon Bombers or Chicago Bears have run essentially the same uniform for decades. I wish that would happen more in the NRL. Thank Zeus that Souths and St.George look roughly how theyve always looked.

BunniesMan

Immortal
I'd love to find out how much extra money clubs that aren't Souths and St George make by changing their jersey every 3 years. It can't be that much, I don't know many fans stupid enough to buy a 150+ dollar jersey every 3 years. And whatever the $ amount is, it's not worth cheapening the brand and pissing on the history.

I'm friends with casual fans who have sat down to watch a game with me and have had no idea who the teams playing were. A family friend has a young son who cried when his team (Tigers) changed their jersey AGAIN and what he wore didn't look like his team anymore.

Jersey changes are incredibly rare in the AFL and NFL and only very minor changes happen with regularity in European soccer teams.

If I ran the ARLC I'd force the clubs to hold a poll of their members to choose their favourite jersey out of every version they've ever worn and the clubs would have to stick with that for a minimum of 10 years, and then jersey changes would only be permitted by a member vote.

I'd bet Penrith, Canterbury, Melbourne, Wests, Canberra, Newcastle among others would immediatley vote to go back to the vastly superior jerseys they wore in the past.

This issue is one of the very few reasons I have to respect the Dragons.

Last edited:

GAZF

First Grade

And those leftover teams are consistently regional sides. The last few years we've played the Storm, representing a rivalry where we've lost 90% of games against them in recent years. And this year we commemorate a regular season game with the Cowboys, completely shoehorned, so that Sydney teams and Brisbane get their special games.

The problem is that there aren't enough matches in a single round to accommodate every team. I suggested here the other day that we scrap heritage round and adopt a heritage match once per round, spread evenly amongst all teams (roughly 3 games/year/team). Play the match on a Sunday with an old style ball, refs in TNT gear, kids allowed on the field at full time, etc...

I'd love to find out how much extra money clubs that aren't Souths and St George make by changing their jersey every 3 years. It can't be that much, I don't know many fans stupid enough to buy a 150+ dollar jersey every 3 years. And whatever the $ amount is, it's not worth cheapening the brand and pissing on the history.

I'm friends with casual fans who have sat down to watch a game with me and have had no idea who the teams playing were. A family friend has a young son who cried when his team (Tigers) changed their jersey AGAIN and what he wore didn't look like his team anymore.

Jersey changes are incredibly rare in the AFL and NFL and only very minor changes happen with regularity in European soccer teams.

If I ran the ARLC I'd force the clubs to hold a poll of their members to choose their favourite jersey out of every version they've ever worn and the clubs would have to stick with that for a minimum of 10 years, and then jersey changes would only be permitted by a member vote.

I'd bet Penrith, Canterbury, Melbourne, Wests, Canberra, Newcastle among others would immediatley vote to go back to the vastly superior jerseys they wore in the past.

Our jersey has barely changed over the years, we've had a V since the 60's(I think); maybe the style of the V has changed(slightly) but it hasn't been a massive change.

GAZF

First Grade

The NFL enforces a 5 year minimum, any more than that would be crippling to clubs. There would also need to be an incentive for fans to buy new jerseys, such as player names or reduced prices, merchandise revenue would take a hit initially but more fans would be able to afford jerseys on a regular basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts